Ultimate Subaru Message Board

This weather has me all excited!

3eyedwagon

Anyone who lives in Washington knows it only takes a little bit of sunshine to get us all excited for summer time.

My answer to the recent good weather was to get the wagon ready for summer wheelin' trips! So, I made me some half doors.... I took it out for a spin about 5:00pm, and man..... :grin:

I left the door handles, because I like 2nd gen door handles. I'm really glad I did, the meat left above it makes a great armrest.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showphoto.php?photo=19203&limit=recent

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showphoto.php?photo=19201&limit=recent

If these links don't work, the photos are in my gallery. I had a little trouble sizing them down, but they aren't too bad considering they're from my phone.

very nice......seems to me a popular design.allows just the right amount of eyeball when needed.good job.don't forget to paint so you don;t ahve to put them down from the "rust".cheers, brian

Yeah, I hear you there. I just came in from the shop, finished smearing some glaze, and sanding them. A few more little trinkets to put on, like my flexy mirrors (darn state laws), some beverage holders :drunk: , and they will be ready for paint.

Team CF, I'm definitely a friend of the mud, but I'm gonna have to watch it. The interior on my wagon is in pretty darn good shape, and I hope to keep it that way. Luckily, those doors change out in like 2 minutes!

What I couldn't believe was the weight savings between the stock door, and the cut ones. I knew all the glass, guts, interior pieces, and etc. weighed alot, but I was still awed by how much weight difference there is between the two. I'll weigh one of each, a stock roll up window, a stock power window, and my "2/3 door" as I like to call it.

Chris, You really gonna Lambo that RX?

:)I'll have no part in it!:)

The kits are pretty cheap, and they really aren't that hard to do. There's a whole bunch of manufacturers for the kits in pretty much any Street-Truck, or Rice-Rocket mag out there. I knows there's TONS of ads for them in all my "Street Trucks" magazines. I think they're like $400-$1000, all depending on if you want them motorized or not.

Ah, down at the Skagit River i see. Sauk mountain sure looks cool from there. i knew i have seen that car rolling around town before. Is that down in crowsfoot?

Hey are you ever going to come out and come play with us?

If you put a 2"er on your car you would be right up town.

March 15th is a run to walker if you wanna come.

Jeff

well if i can get my car going by then i would like too, it needs some brake work and i need to button up all of the cooling system stuff i boogered up. If i cant get it going, maybe i will just run down and hang out, maybe bring my AWD dodge caravan FTW! Well see.

Ah, down at the Skagit River i see. Sauk mountain sure looks cool from there. i knew i have seen that car rolling around town before. Is that down in crowsfoot?

Yeah, that's on the river in the bottom of 10acres. That place is junk now, but was close by the day I took it for a spin with the new doors.

I was wondering if you were going to cut out a small hole in the top then recess it like 2-3 inches..

Yeah, the paint is drying as I write this. I just used some exhaust tubing that fit a can / bottle nice and snug. Recessed it about 3 inches. I wanted just the top of a Coke can to stick out of it. That way it's not sloshing around in there.

• 3 months later...

Here's my version of a cut down/ half door that I started for my Brat. Just finished cutting and since I couldn't find my ear plugs my ears are still ringing:rolleyes:

CutdownBratdoor.jpg

Still have to cap it off but will have pics up eventually to show case me new summer doors.

Looks good. I thought about going all the way back on mine, but I decided I just have to have an arm rest, and I like the look of the kickup. You gonna flip the door handles 90 degrees and recess them on top? I thought about doing that on the next set.

Looks good. You gonna flip the door handles 90 degrees and recess them on top? I thought about doing that on the next set.

That is my plan. I'm going to use the factory indentation and use the drivers side on the passengers and vice versa.

I wanted just the top of a Coke can to stick out of it. That way it's not sloshing around in there.

coke can, hahahahahahah!!! whatever dude . . .

we all know you drink pepsi :grin:

took a drive up to stevens pass yesterday, so many trails right off the highway that looked like they would be fun to explore, and with all the snow STILL melting, there's a lotsa mud :headbang:

chris

so what do you do if it rains?

My wagon is currently sitting under a cedar tree with small chunks of plastic draped over the windows. It's been there for over a week, even through yesterdays SEVERE wind, and rain. No water has gotten in there.

Those doors change out in like 15 minutes. It'd be even quicker if you drilled holes in the rear of the front fenders. It's no big deal to do.

Or.... I guess you could just sell it once winter comes.:burnout:

My wagon is currently sitting under a cedar tree with small chunks of plastic draped over the windows. It's been there for over a week, even through yesterdays SEVERE wind, and rain. No water has gotten in there.

Those doors change out in like 15 minutes. It'd be even quicker if you drilled holes in the rear of the front fenders. It's no big deal to do.

Or.... I guess you could just sell it once winter comes.:burnout:

or KA it :clap::burnout:

chris

Yeah, the paint is drying as I write this. I just used some exhaust tubing that fit a can / bottle nice and snug. Recessed it about 3 inches. I wanted just the top of a Coke can to stick out of it. That way it's not sloshing around in there.

I gauged my arm rests to a can of coke for the same reason.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showphoto.php?photo=439&cat=500&perpage=12&sort=3&ppuser=584

Good Luck,

Glenn

FOR SALE:

1982 Subaru GL58 Station Wagon

-5 inch lift, All components hand built in my shop

-27.5 inch BF Goodrich tires on redrilled Mazda wheels

-Custom Tube bumpers front and rear

-Weber Carb

-Spare set of stock roll up window front doors

I really hate to see this wagon go, as I have put MANY hours into its construction. Unfortunately, it now has a set of "half doors" installed, and winter is just around the corner. It looks as though I will have to start over next spring. Lovingly cared for.... never wheeled.:o

$7800 firm

If I don't get this price within two weeks, the car will be KA'd...

Serious inquiries only.

:lol:

FOR SALE:

1982 Subaru GL58 Station Wagon

-5 inch lift, All components hand built in my shop

-27.5 inch BF Goodrich tires on redrilled Mazda wheels

-Custom Tube bumpers front and rear

-Weber Carb

-Spare set of stock roll up window front doors

I really hate to see this wagon go, as I have put MANY hours into its construction. Unfortunately, it now has a set of "half doors" installed, and winter is just around the corner. It looks as though I will have to start over next spring. Lovingly cared for.... never wheeled.:o

$7800 firm

If I don't get this price within two weeks, the car will be KA'd...

Serious inquiries only.

:lol:

I'll give you 8,000 if you KA it!!

Jeff