Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 LIFT PRE INSTALLATION advice please

I am ready SAt/SUN to do my lift on my ea82, I have had a lifted ea81 brat(several years ago from 1990-2004), and l am semi familliar with whats involved,and the differances between the models.

I chose a different combination of parts. here is the formula.

front:

(1) 4"AA strut towers (from DRCRAZY)

(2) 3" x2" engine crossmember (2x2 tubing to link all trans blocks)

(3) 2" x2 trans crossmember (2x2 tubing linked to all pieces)

(all are STEEL blocks linked as a subframe) no more ripped out bolts!!!!!!

rear:

(1) 4" SJR aluminum shock brackets

(2) 3" SJR aluminum diff drop

(3) 2" SJR aluminum front diff mount spacer.

I have brand new struts all around, new TSL's on flat spoke pug 15's.

I have decent and comlete tools, including full airtools/ jackstands jacks

welding/all necessary metal tools. strut spring compressor ect.

(A)will I need to legthen any wires,hoses?

(B)on the steering, is it 3" on the shaft extention if its 3" on the blocks?

© will l have to legnthen my anti pich

Can you think of anything else I will need?

wd40/paint/hand cleaner/anti seize ect. and alot of grade 8 self locking hardware. I have all ready to go..

I was going to do this with COBCOB,and maybe MELLOW YELLOW (if he wanted to), but its Icy and crappy again,so I will probably go indoors in a large shop, and wont total his garage out. hopefully they will come over.

All input is helpfull, and welcome,.................................................................. and will be documenting/posting in detail.

THANK YOU ALL.

daves_new_subey_162.JPG

• Like 1

I chose a different combination of parts. here is the formula.

front:

(1) 4"AA strut towers (from DRCRAZY)

(2) 3" x2" engine crossmember (2x2 tubing to link all trans blocks)

(3) 2" x2 trans crossmember (2x2 tubing linked to all pieces)

(all are STEEL blocks linked as a subframe) no more ripped out bolts!!!!!!

rear:

(1) 4" SJR aluminum shock brackets

(2) 3" SJR aluminum diff drop

(3) 2" SJR aluminum front diff mount spacer.

Please please please picture of the front subframe. I've thought of doing that, but I'd love to see some pics.

(A)will I need to legthen any wires,hoses?

Yes top radiator Hose,

No on the break lines, just rework them

(B)on the steering, is it 3" on the shaft extention if its 3" on the blocks?

No will have to measure after install

© will l have to legnthen my anti pich

Yes

Can you think of anything else I will need?

wd40/paint/hand cleaner/anti seize ect. and alot of grade 8 self locking hardware. I have all ready to go..

do not use a stainless nut on a stainless bolt will gual up

A) Your rad will be displaced 3" check your hoses, check your heater hoses for extra hose, coil wire will be too short, re-route your speedo cable before, you will need some material to deal with your shifter, the rest should be sorta ok @3". (your mechanical rad fan will move 3") Brake lines will have to be "fooled" with, all metric, ensure a supply.

B) No idea, @6" the steering extension here was 5 1/2" (any extra here that you buy will go to the shifter).

C)yes, guessing 2" (I *think* mine was 4")

I dropped my entire sub frame in the back, so as to connect the front, and rear blocks. I used 2 wheel drive rear shocks (struts), picking up an inch there, instead of the way you are doing that.

You may have to space down the hanger bearing (I had to), it's not critical, eyeball it before, and after, then decide.

I'm up on 215/85 16" tires (bottom of the door is 29" off of the ground)

I just got done lifting my 86 wagon with a 4" AA lift. I would suggest the SJR front strut blocks as the AA ones have a noticable camber to them. Also I am not sure where you got the steering extension, but mine was way too long and I had to have it cut and rewelded. Some guys suggested it might be because my car dose not have power steering. Other than that it all went real smooth and it sounds like the guys have covered everything else to be aware of. Happy lifting!!!:headbang:

I just got done lifting my 86 wagon with a 4" AA lift. I would suggest the SJR front strut blocks as the AA ones have a noticable camber to them. Also I am not sure where you got the steering extension, but mine was way too long and I had to have it cut and rewelded. Some guys suggested it might be because my car dose not have power steering. Other than that it all went real smooth and it sounds like the guys have covered everything else to be aware of. Happy lifting!!!:headbang:

Thats exactly why DRCRAZY got rid of them .hE HAD HIS ADJUSTED ALL THE WAY UP TO CLEAR HIS LARGER TIRES. mine are new loyale replacements w/no adjustment.

i can correct it,if need be? and will definatly look into it. lf im correct the formula is: 7mm of offset per 1 inch. who can tell me if its (+)poss/or (-)neg. l think its negative orinward.:confused:

Cut the steering knuckle in half, slide each one into position and measure bewtween the two.

I have an aftermarket dual core radiator. Its lower hose is in a different possition. It had to be changed on mine.

Pull your o2 sensor wire free from the firewall so you dont pull on that.

I had to "rework" my 4wd shifter, to get it into 2wd. If you just slide it up into 4wd before you start. You can just come back to it when your done.

Scott pretty much has ya covered.

I reckon it'll never work, you'd better just give the whole shebang to me (car and all) and walk away:grin:

We will discuss that in group theropy.

Euro XT 14"s are going to look hot on the RED DRAGON WAGON.

they're coming off,come get'em, like we talked about:burnout: :burnout: they still have tread:cool:

reddragonwheels.jpg

"nothing up my sleve,Presto"

new_wheels.jpgTSL_s_baby_.jpg

Cut the steering knuckle in half, slide each one into position and measure bewtween the two.

I have an aftermarket dual core radiator. Its lower hose is in a different possition. It had to be changed on mine.

Pull your o2 sensor wire free from the firewall so you dont pull on that.

I had to "rework" my 4wd shifter, to get it into 2wd. If you just slide it up into 4wd before you start. You can just come back to it when your done.

Scott pretty much has ya covered.

Great info, everyone!!!!!

we all can agree that knowlege is priceless.

anyone else, feel free to help.:cool: