Ultimate Subaru Message Board

noob to subaru's

Well i picked up a 1983 Subaru GL 5-door for free today. Traded my 1988 f-250 for it. The truck wasn't running because of a clutch issue and the fact that i don't have the time to fix it.

So far I'm pretty happy with it, just wondering what things to watch out for with these cars. And since i have no previous experience with these cars, what do the codes i've been seeing on the boards mean? i.e. ea81 or whatever it is.

i only have one picture of it right now and its not a glamorous shot, so i'll get some better pics up tomorrow after i get out of class.

EA81 refers to the engine - and also reveals much about the chassis and other parts as well. Someone else will probably have a more eloquent explanation than i can come up with right now.

The designations do represent the displacement of the engine. For example the newer vehicles have EJ25 - which are 2.5 liter engines. Your EA81 is a 1.8 liter, not sure why they dropped the one or it's backwards like that, but the 8 is a reference to engine size.

The EA81 is a neat little beast - no timing belts!

Well i picked up a 1983 Subaru GL 5-door for free today. Traded my 1988 f-250 for it. The truck wasn't running because of a clutch issue and the fact that i don't have the time to fix it.

So far I'm pretty happy with it, just wondering what things to watch out for with these cars. And since i have no previous experience with these cars, what do the codes i've been seeing on the boards mean? i.e. ea81 or whatever it is.

i only have one picture of it right now and its not a glamorous shot, so i'll get some better pics up tomorrow after i get out of class.

Welcome to the board!

EA81 is one of the engines that comes in the older subarus. Comes in 80-84 wagons, all hatches and I think 82-87 Brats. Your Subaru should have an EA81 engine in it. It's one of the simplest ways to differentiate between the different older Subarus. The older engines were EA71 and the newer are EA82.

Congrats on the new sube! I've had several cars from the Subaru generation that you have and I can say, hand down, they are some of the most reliable cars mechanically ever made. That said, being a low budget 80s japanese car, they are prone to a few issues.

RUST is your biggest enemy. This is the #1 killer of old subarus. Check your frame rails, rockers etc. and stay on top of it as best you can. there are a few threads about rust prevention in the forum. You can expect to leak a little oil, in these cars, and if you have a 4 speed 4x4 the shifter can wear out and provide what's known as shifter slop. it's a fairly simple fix though. That's all i've come across so far that would seem common with these cars. Most of the time they just keep running.... and running. Take good care of it and it should return the favor for many years.

The designations do represent the displacement of the engine. For example the newer vehicles have EJ25 - which are 2.5 liter engines. Your EA81 is a 1.8 liter, not sure why they dropped the one or it's backwards like that, but the 8 is a reference to engine size.

I agree with the EJ25 and EA81, But what about the EA82? it's still a 1.8 and the EA71, Thats not a 1.7 Haha.

Just thought I'd ask that :)

the EA82 is a BAST***ISD engine of a EA81 and timing belts.it should never have been made.the remaining EA82's should be melted down for the aluminum.then replaced with EJ22's or EA81's with SPFI!!!

to furth confuse you subaru_noob EA81,EA82 and EJ all refer to what we call their body styles.EA81's are wagons(like yours) hatchbacks,and BRATS(mini 4x4 el camino).EA82's refer to the 85-93 wagons and sedans and coupes,EJ refers to stuff like legacies,outbacks,WRX,etc.

so yea EA81,EA82,and assorted EJ stands for the engines and then it is also used to desribe a particlar body style that the engine was offered in.

Answer me this though other subaru nuts.if you swap an EJ engine into a EA subaru is it still a EA?Or is it EAJ or something?

ok now its time for an ultimate noob question. why are there 2 spark plugs on one side of the engine, and 2 on the other side? i've heard of the subaru boxer engine but i didn't think they were that old? BTW feel free to laugh because all this subie stuff is brand new to me.

Hey Soob-Noob: Welcome to the boards!

I was a Noob not too long ago - posted a similar thread.

I'm told these motors are used in airplanes. Still haven't confirmed that one yet. When I did my re-seal, we couldn't find a SINGLE BOLT holding the 2 sides together. We were like "Are these things really helt together with RTV?"

why are there 2 spark plugs on one side of the engine, and 2 on the other side?
it's a horizontally opposed 4 cylinder engine - also known as a "Flat 4". there are two heads, two timing belts, and two pistons face one way and two face the other way. looking at an exploded picture view of the engine would help.

and right the EA71 - those are 7.1 liters right, they have to be they're so fast!?!?!

you may or may not want to here this but one thing to along with other "tune up" items when you get a subaru is to replace the water pump and at least flush the radiator out,if not get a new radiator.then engine is an all aluminum engine so is hyper sensitive to cooling issues.If you overheat YOU WILL blow headgaskets some time later.I can help you with the flush.

Congrats on becoming a Subie owner.. I think you'll enjoy it. Being that your EA81 doesnt have timing belts or the related hardware to deal with, basic maintenance consists of consistent oil changes (sooner is Always better...), regular ignition tune up, and as mentioned above, CONSISTENT cooling system service!!

This is one of the largest Subaru Engine Killers out there.. As mentioned, it is an all-aluminum engine. If your cooling system is not maintained properly, it will lead to electrolysis (basically electricity induced corrosion) of the cooling system, including water pump and radiator.. Oh, yeah.. it also ends up eating the head gaskets and mating surfaces between the head and block..

At my shop we recommend full coolant exchanges every 2 years or 30,000mi. Once again, sooner is better.. I drain and fill my coolant every 10,000 miles, and change my oil every 2,000 miles... but I'm abusive LOL!

Good luck with your ventures, I think you will find a wealth of useful information on this forum.

Before someone really shoots you down:

Yes, with enough work, it is possible to swap nearly any EJ series engine into your car. Several other members here have done so, so I'm sure they will be able to answer pretty much any specific question that you have about it.

However, the EJ25 you mentioned is probably the least desirable engine subaru has ever made, because of the bad reputation it got from some severe headgasket issues. A much better candidate for a swap would be an older EJ22, which is pretty much bulletproof.

would it be possible to swap in an EJ25 motor out of a '94 impreza into my '83 wagon? if so what all would i need for the swap?

First, the 94 Imp didn't come with the EJ25. The EJ25 is a poor choice of engine anyway. EJ22 is what you would want if anything.

Second, it's a BIG project to swap any EJ engine in. Do a search for EA to EJ conversion.

i'm not really worried about what i put in it, as far as an EJ-25 or whatnot, i just want something that will swap in because the current engine is so severely underpowered

It's not actually - it's just that your's is typical of a 25 year old EA81. It likely needs a lot of tuneup. Valve adjustment (unless it's an auto) should be priority #1. Then all the ignition components - verify smooth operation of the vacuum advance, clean the EGR, and address any throttle/carb issues it has. Check your oil pressure too - biggest killer of these engines is overheating, and rod bearings (respectively). Due to being all alumnium they rely on good oil circulation for part of their heat dissipation. Inspection/Replacement of the oil pump is a good idea every 100k miles - if it is within spec the seals still need replacing. The sending unit's are usually leaky and should be replaced as well for proper readings.

An EJ swap is a poor choice to fix what amounts to a few tuneup issues. It's not the terribly slow car that a lot of people think it is - it's just that they have no real idea how to properly maintain them.

GD

An EJ swap is a poor choice to fix what amounts to a few tuneup issues. It's not the terribly slow car that a lot of people think it is - it's just that they have no real idea how to properly maintain them.

GD

its too bad you're so far away, because then i could ask you for help doing all that. while i'm fairly mechanically inclined, i don't have the time to figure it out or the tools to do it myself.