Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82T Up-pipe size?

Due to a broken manifold on my 89 GL10, tonight i swapped it out for the one off my parts engine. And found something, thats, at least to me, interesting. The up-pipe to the turbo on my stock manifold was about 1/4" smaller diameter tubing than on my spare. I know the spare is off a slightly older GL10, and it has the O2 sensor before the turbo, instead of after like my car. They both apear to be stock. Anyone else run into this? Did they change something at some point? And if so, why go to a smaller tubing? The tubing from head to head is the same size. Just curious.

not sure that ive ever seen a manifold with the sensor before the turbo, might be a custom build with the stock heat sheilds. all i remember though is that the stock manifold is anything but eficient.

do you have any pics of the two manifolds?

not sure that ive ever seen a manifold with the sensor before the turbo, might be a custom build with the stock heat sheilds. all i remember though is that the stock manifold is anything but eficient.

do you have any pics of the two manifolds?

Sorry. Should have grabbed some pics before i installed it. But was more worried about getting my car back together. Just for reference, The one i pulled off my car was 1 3/8" ID at the turbo flange. The one i replaced it with is 1 5/8" (approximate measurements, couldent find the good calipers.) And i know the stock manifolds not efficient. A better one is in the plans for the summer, when i dont need 4wd, and my broken wrist is healed.

Its not an inner/outer pipe thing. Interesting you bring up the JDM engine thing, Because as far as i know, my engine was orginal, but i know for a fact my spare was an atarco motor, so given that, then my spare pipe should have been smaller. Not that any of ot really matters. Im just curious as to where the difference comes from. All i can say is, i didnt realize how slow my car had gotten with the broken pipe and no boost!

EA81T up pipe has the O2 sensor.

EA82T has the O2 sensor in the DP.

Thats interesting, because i know for a fact that the one i have came on the atarco EA82T. Maybe if it got changed while still in japan? Or if they just did stuff differently? But, heck, even if it doesent make a bit of difference, Its cool ending up with 1/4" bigger up pipe than i had....

Thats interesting, because i know for a fact that the one i have came on the atarco EA82T.

I've heard of JDM engines having the O2 n the crossover pipe.

I also know that hear in the US, XT turbos got the larger diameter uppipe. GL and GL-10 turbo had the smaller pipe. I am using an XT uppipe/crosover on GLs new engine.

My parts book shows the same part # for 86/87.

It also includes a new part # for 87/88, superceding 86.

The GL XT didnt get the newer part # till 87.

None of them show the O2 sensor in the up pipe.

I dont have a parts book for the EA81's.

My parts book shows the same part # for 86/87.

It also includes a new part # for 87/88, superceding 86.

The GL XT didnt get the newer part # till 87.

None of them show the O2 sensor in the up pipe.

I dont have a parts book for the EA81's.

Rob, does you book give you the part # for the XT Turbo specific midpipe, i'd really like to get one

thanks

chris

(OP, sorry 'bout the minor threadjack)

Rob, does you book give you the part # for the XT Turbo specific midpipe, i'd really like to get one

thanks

chris

(OP, sorry 'bout the minor threadjack)

I need to know the year and whether its 2wd or 4wd.

I have 8 listings for a turbo mid-pipe :-p

The up-pipe I currently have on my RX has the O2 sensor.

It might have come off of a JDM crate engine that was in one of my old EA81T Coupes. I removed it when I upgraded everything to EA82T parts.

Its working fine for me at the moment, seeing how my DP has no O2 sensor.

I would agree with Turbone. When our cars were made, Subaru was still a VERY small company. If they could build one car with five different rear ends (Read EA81: Hatch, sedan, coupe, wagon, brat) they would. Which makes me wonder why they would make a bunch of XT specific parts for a turbo engine that was in four different body styles?

My guess is that your old engine had an EA81T pipe on it and your parts engine had its original crossover pipe.

This would fit with my experience between the two; and I have had both side by side before, sorry no pics.

I would agree with Turbone. When our cars were made, Subaru was still a VERY small company. If they could build one car with five different rear ends (Read EA81: Hatch, sedan, coupe, wagon, brat) they would. Which makes me wonder why they would make a bunch of XT specific parts for a turbo engine that was in four different body styles?

My guess is that your old engine had an EA81T pipe on it and your parts engine had its original crossover pipe.

This would fit with my experience between the two; and I have had both side by side before, sorry no pics.

I wouldnt say it was EA81T specific. It could be a JDM up-pipe.

Maybe a little more research into the JDM crate engines will reveal more info? There might be some on Ebay right now.

Just a minor FYI, in europe some XTs had the O2 in the downpipe and some didn't even have an O2 (and no cat, like mine) but they were never in the uppipe, before or after 87 (we got XTs until 1992)

I have no idea about size differences, I would check it out, but I don't know any turbo wagon/coupe here in the netherlands, so, too bad