Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anyone done Dual Carbs with Webers or other>

well, to put the regular 32/36 webers on to a ea81 D/C setup, you need to make some carb adapters that moves the carbs away from each other about an inch each... then figure out the linkage.... of course those would be a bit of overkill :) like when I had my Holley 600 cfm on my Brat :)

Im guessing you would probably want to jet them down a bit as well since that would be overkill, unless you had the special cam and heads from the EA81 RX. And then it would still be overkill

Sidethought, isnt there a smaller weber than the 32/36 that would be more appropriate for that manifold?

EDIT: Just went around the internet and looked. I guess the 32/36 is as small as they go.

well, to put the regular 32/36 webers on to a ea81 D/C setup, you need to make some carb adapters that moves the carbs away from each other about an inch each... then figure out the linkage.... of course those would be a bit of overkill :) like when I had my Holley 600 cfm on my Brat :)

That's what I needed to know,thanks.

Yes,I'm aware of needing the hotter cam,etc. ;)

That's what I needed to know,thanks.

Yes,I'm aware of needing the hotter cam,etc. ;)

A 272/260 grind for duals should suffice!:burnout: I wanted to build an adapter plate as well to go onto a redline weber adapter for the dual carb set up. Never got the whole thing under way,just made some models with some wood.

I've got ideas of Mikuni m/c four carb setups from a big bore bike. Then again,I have too many ideas. I do own a Puch Twingle with a Bing and have another matching carb in new form. They're mighty small though being on a 175cc bike.

I've got ideas of Mikuni m/c four carb setups from a big bore bike. Then again,I have too many ideas. I do own a Puch Twingle with a Bing and have another matching carb in new form. They're mighty small though being on a 175cc bike.

There's an old KZ650 sitting in the woods near me with a set of 4 Mikuni carbs on it... Maybe I should yank them and try to re-jet them a bit bigger for my Brat :headbang:

I'm kinda thinking it would be complete overkill Paul. The couple of guys I know who run sincronous 36/36 Webers say they pour in too much gas and bog pretty bad a low speeds.

It would sure look sweet though. :headbang:

That's why I'm really looking for alternatives to a Weber twin setup.

It'll be a low use,fun vehicle. There's no way I can go and compete with the Datsun guys at the straightlines but I'd like to have something similar. Wouldn't you know that today I saw the super bright yellow Datsun with slicks,etc...... that I'd seen last year and previous,but only two or three times. Two years ago this mang pulls up along side my '78 wagon in highway rushhour traffic (parade) and can't even smile at me. Just lights up the rears with the supercharger whining away. Pretty cool,but obviously he thought my ride needed to be shown his car's muscle. I'll kick his rump roast in snow and ice !!!! :-p

OK,back to the multi-carb setup. :headbang:

Is there any reason why you wouldnt want to run the stock hitachi's? I know they have a bad rap but they were made for that manifold.

Sure...there's a reason.

dual Holley glass bowl carbs,
sounds cool. That's sort of half of the idea. Make something vintage that resembles a vintage sports car from Europe,etc.

I'm running just a simple 66 chevy carb on my Ea71. I bought the carb for simplicity. I was told that some subaru engines have 4 barrel holleys on them.

One of the older guys at work says that back in the 50's and 60's, they would always make adapter plates for different carbs on their cars. He tells me that if you can fit it on with no leaks, and tune it right, it will run.

I see no problem with dual carbs as long as you make an adapter plate to fit. I know that the on my ea71, the 66 chevy carb is rated at about 175 CFM, and those Weber 32/36's that the guys use so much must be about 300 cfm.

If you google subaru aircraft, you can find some info on different carb set ups. Those guys in the airplanes do not want a Hitachi carb, I can't imagine why?

Sure...there's a reason.

sounds cool. That's sort of half of the idea. Make something vintage that resembles a vintage sports car from Europe,etc.

A pair of European side draft carbs, like from an old Ferrari or or something would be pretty cool, pretty sure you would have to make a custom manifold to make it work right though :-p

I think you could put 2 one barrels on a Subaru and it would NOT be overkill. If you look at the Volkswagen applications, there is kits for 2 - 34 ICT Weber Carbs. They are not too big, similar in operation to the DGV and relatively inexpensive.

things to consider

Linkage

Manifolds

Vacuum fittings

This setup has one drawback and that is that the 34 ICT does not have a choke plate. I think this is a minor issue.

The dual 34 ICT would be a lot more efficient because there would not be an issue of fuel falling out of suspension. Also, the carburetors are pointing the right way for the float bowls to work properly. When you put a DGV series on the Sube, the float bowl is not correct. This is the same problem VW buses have when they put a downdraft Weber on.

Thanks very much for your input,guys.

Although I can't do any machining right now I do expect to be in a new home soon and have a Bridgeport miller set. But I would gladly send work out and thanks Scott,for offering.

One setup I'll do perfectly "stock" as the USA really never saw a dual carb Subaru through a showroom.

The other d/c intake I want to have some fun with and make something that older car enthusiasts will appreciate and maybe cause them to repsect the little old Subaru more. And of course a little preformance won't hurt.

These days I often work with prepreg graphite sheet that I'm making linkage pieces with a little at a time. A couple of plys,a little time = nice ultralight,ultrastrong pieces to make linkage from.

This project is a long way off,I'm sure but not entirely over the horizon.