Ultimate Subaru Message Board

what do you get for gas mileage?

97 Legacy Outback, 5 speed, 196,000 miles(engine has about 50,000)

22-24mpg, 50/50 split on highway/town

I tend to drive hard off the lights and then cruise but never hold back when i need to downshift and get on it. I am happy with my mileage, can obviously do better but I need to enjoy driving the car as well.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stick/auto? So what is your typical average mpg?

1997 Legacy Outback Limited, 230k miles.

Best- 29mpg on highway at 75-80 mph

worst- tried to see how low I could get my gas mileage. Beat it hard around town, still ended up with 24mpg for the tank.

I am getting roughly 28 mpg with mixed driving..not babying it...But my last tank I wanted to see what I would get if I "stayed off the throttle" some ( taken the other night on the way to work.)

ATT00163.jpg

08 Impreza 2.5i 5 door 5 spd...11,000 miles mixed driving..just shy of 100 miles a day

Have you ever seen ur MPG higher than 31.2?

I must be doing something wrong....2002 H6 - No mods.

28mpg Driven averagely - Highway Driving

22mpg Driven Hard - Town with a bit of highway

14mpg with my old twin turbo legacy driven hard.

Will see what i get on this weekends road trip to the ClubSUB meet. :headbang:

1993 Legacy Turbo Wagon.

2.2 Turbo, 4EAT

Intercooled. 9PSI of boost.

152 miles on 13.3 gallons is my worse (11.42 mpg)

190 miles on 13 gallons is average (14.61 mpg)

I do absolutly no freeway driving when commuting from home to work and back again. However, when I do take trips on the freeway, 24mpg is not uncommon. 30mpg if its downhill the entire way.

-Brian

2001 OBW H6

Best I've seen is 25 mpg mixed driving.

I just switched to Amsoil Synthetic Transmission Fluid and their synthetic gear oil for the differentials. It actually looks very promising but since I haven't been an entire tank of gas yet, I dont have any numbers...will report later.

99 Forester, 2.5 SOHC, 5 MT, 132 k miles

17,168 miles/672.28 g = 25.54 mpg

Always regular octane, which is almost always 87.

Almost all highway miles over the past few years -- I keep track just to make sure that the engine is working properly.

That said, there are far too many variables (e.g., temperature, wind, elevation, driving habits, tires, and load) to say anything definitive about mileage.

That said, there are far too many variables (e.g., temperature, wind, elevation, driving habits, tires, and load) to say anything definitive about mileage.

oh i know everyone will get something different, i just was curious. i just got a 2.2 outback and was getting 23ish. as much as i love subarus coming from a honda it still hurts a little.

i would like to hear more imprezas. 2.2 5 speeds mainly. i had a 97 OBS and i swore i was getting 30+ around town driving. It just seemed odd.

Yeah, I figured you already realized this, and I do feel you pain. I went from a Toyota Corolla to the flying box(er). I'd imagine the newer legacies get a bit better highway mileage with their more areodynamic design.

I don't even keep track of so-called city driving/around town mileage, which can mean many different things including 2 hours of bumper to bumper rush hour traffic over a 15-mile stretch if you live in a major metro area like I do.

98 Legacy Postal with automatic tranny.

160,000 miles on car, probably 70,000 on the engine

"Check engine light is on"

Just checked it this morning at fill up.

30.3 MPG combination city/highway.

I drive 28 miles a day to work one way, 45-55 mph highway driving, with about 5 miles of stop and go city driving thrown in.

Just put outback struts on the car..........best its riden in 5 years.

• 3 weeks later...
96 Legecy 2.2 25 -26 mpg check it once a week

Well spring has arrived here in Rhode Island and with that a noteable increase of gas mileage in the Legecy. The last 3 fillups I've gotten a 27-28 MPG. I think the rise in temp. and the changing height of the sun has increased the MPG. My car sits out in the sun all day so the gas must warm up and expand increasing the volume. Gotta love spring/summer!