Ultimate Subaru Message Board

what do you get for gas mileage?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I average 23.5 MPG in mixed driving, up to a max of 28 or so on the highway. Best ever was 29.5. I'm sure it'd improve a bit with a new O2 sensor, but I can't justify putting lots of $$ into the car other than regular maintenence/inspection, etc. since I only plan to keep it for another 6-9 months. I replace the plugs, fuel filter, air filter, fluids etc. at the recommended intervals and keep my tires properly inflated.

I have definitely seen an improvement in MPG and overall driveability/pep (what little pep a '95 automatic with 135K still has) since it's gotten warmer. I was averaging 21 around town over the winter, so an increase to 23-25 is a welcome improvement.

I wish it were a little higher, but no other car I've ever driven in a Subaru's price range has that solid, "planted" feeling from behind the wheel. That's why my next car will still be a Subaru.

Brian M.

On my old 93 Legacy L Wagon 2.2, 5MT got 29MPG HWY on a trip with a heavy load in it 1 way... It had about 200k on it on that trip.

My current 96 Imp OBW 2.2, 4EAT got about 28 MPG HWY on a trip with the family and a trunk load of stuff. It was summer and used the A/C. Around town this winter, it got 21-23 MPG. It has 125k on it now. Still a youngin...

Our 01 OBW 2.5, 4 EAT got about 25-6 on the HWY and 19-20 around town. Had 86k on it when we traded it 2 years ago.

• 4 months later...

'00 Outback (automatic) about 23 city/28-29 highway

'05 Impreza 2.5 RS (5 speed) about 24-25 city/28-30 highway

Neither are driven hard, but not too miserly either.

My old, totaled by "Bambi", '97 Impreza L 2.2 (5 speed) was good for 24 city/30 highway.

2008 Outback wagon A/T 3800 miles. Wife gets 22.5, I get 25. Huge difference in how the car is driven. I have a new game I play with the trip computer, I'm trying to get high score on milage. Not like the old game I used to play in the WRX, where high score was in the speedo :burnout:

1997 Outback wagon 2.5 A/T 186,000. This is a great story. Car has got 20mpg consistantly since we've owned it. I did a full brake job and now it is getting 23mpg, wish I could figure out how much fuel/money I wasted :rolleyes:

Lifted riggs are in the mid to high teens.

Tim

• 2 years later...

Gonna bring this one back.

95 Legacy Ls wagon 2.2 AT

My weekend trip of 240 miles used 9.1 gallons of gas. Works out to 26.4 mpg average. This was mostly 55-70 mph highway with about 25 miles of easy city driving.

I knew it was bad because my 96 Sedan 2.2 Mt uses just a hair over 1/2 gauge to do basically the same trip. (it gets 33 mpg) This one went through more than 3/4 of the fuel gauge from full.

I expected at least 28, think it should be closer to 30 highway.

99 legacy gt

Auto

40k miles

~24 city | ~28 hwy

UPDATE:

Since I posted the previous message, that car has since been blown up and sold through 2 new owners.

My 2010 Legacy CVT:

Recent trip from Columbus to Pittsburgh: 34mpg

Standard city driving with rush hours: 25mpg

Overall average of 9,999k miles (from trip odometer and computer based MPG): 28.7mpg

2009 OBW 2.5 AT- roof box on all the time. Locally, mix of town and slow rural roads 25.5, highway 28 to 29.5, best yet 31.5 one 160 miles of pretty flat road. All of our trips include mountains, and much of this has been in temps from below freezing to 50 degrees, no summer driving yet.

One thing I have noticed is that the computer estimate on the dash is ALWAYS way off, at least two to three MPG. It lies on the high side. So if you are basing you milage on that thing, forget it.

Again, 09 OBW 2.5i 4eat, roof box and bike on the rear rack. 200 miles of mountainous driving today, 55 to 70 mph, more downhill going out, more uphill coming back. Averaged 29.5 all day. I'm happy with that.

Oh yeah, and this trip included an hour of driving on dirt including a few miles of steep 4wd road. Not bad.

Edited by subsince77

today 50 mph wind, head wind at times mostly cross wind, did 600 miles in the baja. will update soon on real but about 28 with that killer wind going 72mph

i usually do 30 in it, but the 50mph wind in Nebraska/western iowa sucked i got sandblasted in a few parking lots from gravel.....:mad: