Ultimate Subaru Message Board

OK it's that time again and Tire Rack has some incentives.

My 05 OB came with Bridgestone Potenza RE92 and I haven't been left stranded (good sign). I live in lower Connecticut with fairly light snow conditions.

On Tire Rack, the RE92 reviews seem to indicate that buyers would rather stick a needle in their ear than buy them again so...

Much more highly rated in the Bridgestone family Potenza RE960AS Pole Position (sounds racey huh?) or the Turanza Serenity with the Serenity receiving slightly better reviews (probably written by the sales staff last Friday).

Anyway, either way, they will cost about $101 each (after rebate) + $39 total shipping.

Opinions?

i tell ya, i've had GoodYear Triple Treads since October and i haven't been happier with a tire.

they're a little noisy and slightly rough because of how hard the sidewall is, but i'm fine with it. i like the extra road feel.

they handle well on dry, cut through water and slush like no other tire i've seen, and in the snow conditions we had in columbus this winter (record setting single snowfall in 1 day of about 24 inches) i never felt like i was losing traction or control.

there were a couple of time where i actually tried to have a little fun in a snowy parkinglot and the tires would lose traction and then catch right back up (which made was less fun, but made me feel more secure on the road).

OK it's that time again and Tire Rack has some incentives.

My 05 OB came with Bridgestone Potenza RE92 and I haven't been left stranded (good sign). I live in lower Connecticut with fairly light snow conditions.

On Tire Rack, the RE92 reviews seem to indicate that buyers would rather stick a needle in their ear than buy them again so...

Much more highly rated in the Bridgestone family Potenza RE960AS Pole Position (sounds racey huh?) or the Turanza Serenity with the Serenity receiving slightly better reviews (probably written by the sales staff last Friday).

Anyway, either way, they will cost about $101 each (after rebate) + $39 total shipping.

Opinions?

I think one should have both summer and winter tires.

But economize on both.

Pretty good snow tires on metal rims. I vote Sava Eskimo. These tires are great on the highway!

Base line Michelin sport "pilot" tires or equivalent for summer. I had a nice pair of Yokohama tires on my last car for summer. Entry level sport is the way to go.

The secret is to look in that category then choose the best one for you.

This is your best chance for decent tread wear but still having some fun on real hot days when traction is optimal.

I haven't searched anything yet as my Subaru isn't due yet but we put a set of Toyo open countries on the Jeep last fall and I'm impressed,if they make something in a 14 inch i will seriously consider it.It was only 500.00 for four tires and that included mounting, balancing,and a bunch of road hazard and extras(free rotation).Got them through Les Schwab if they are in your area.

Friends have the Triple Treads and love 'em. Too expensive for us, we went with the Kumho Solus KH 16 and they've been excellent so far. We're about to test 'em in the snow in Oregon, but in balmy VA they're been nice.

Oddly, we had the OE RE92s on there until almost 69,000 miles and had no problems at all. I read those reviews when we purchased the new ones and thought "wow, we got lucky."

+1 on having 2 pairs: winter and summer

My 2 cents:

I run Blizzak WS-50s (Bridgestone) in the winter, and have trouble spinning tires gunning it from first on sheet ice with a layer of sleet on top - they're a bit louder than the RE92s, but for winter driving, makes sheer ice feel like dry pavement. Michelin X-ice are great too.

Summer, I like the PzeroNero M+S (Pirelli) They roll great, are much much quieter than the RE92s, and they respond faster and corner better. I used to be able to peel out on the 92s, but I no longer have enough torque to get out of my own traction circle.

Caveat on my 2 cents:

When I'm looking for tires I worry a lot less about whether the tire will get 40k or 120k, and more about how well it'll hold the road in an emergency and how well it drives. If you're looking for ride comfort and longevity, I wouldn't imitate me. Your best bet is probably to compare tires using the TireRack reviews, they break it down really well, and you can look at reviews of other soob owners specifically, if you want.

Looked at those tires at Costco and would've bought but the local house didn't have my size and since I needed to go on a road trip that weekend had to go elsewhere,looked like nice tires though and I like the service you get with them one price for everything,very comparable to my Toyos at Les Schwab.Nipper-that is certainly a drawback-membership-we shop there enough to justify it but most people don't save any money over a year at 45.00-90.00.

John

I work in a tire shop and can say that as far as wear and balance goes its Michelin all the way. I have the Michelin Weather Wise II on my 87 and when the BFGs wear out on my Out Back I am going to put them on it as well. I would recomend avoiding the BFG Traction TA. We have to warranty them constantly due to seperation and excessive tread wear. The GoodYear Triple Treads are a very good tire as long as you rotate them regularly.

...that is certainly a drawback-membership-we shop there enough to justify it but most people don't save any money over a year at 45.00-90.00.

One big ticket item can save you that much easily, and you will certainly amortize that amount with regular household shopping over the course of a year.

Anyway, I think the same Michelin tire is re-packaged into other house brands and is available at other discount outlets, as well as Sears, if I'm not mistaken.

Besides the quality, it's also an 80,000 mile tire, which makes dollars sense as well.