Ultimate Subaru Message Board

four door trucklet 56K go make samich...

Ive began converting my 83 rustbucket wagon to a four door trucklet.The car was hit in the rear in such a way that the hatch was very hard to open,making if difficult to swap tires out and such.so now Im just gonna make it so I can throw tires in the back and be done with it...so far Ive cut the C(or D) pillars off as well as the roof after the C pillar(I think...) still just triing to fit the hatch where the rear seat was...

pics should be tommarow.Oh btw I should be going mudding tomarrow,so I might just have to tape a tarp over the hole until I can fit the hatch...

hmm..... I am impressed with alot of you and you lack of concern for the looks of your vehicle.

I guess it goes hand and hand with off-roading.

(the wheels and tires in the back look bad-rump roast!

now I am currently making it more permanent with a plywood tailgate and a section of plywood under the window.Then a plexiglass window.the window will be held in with ducttape and the plywood are held with self tapping sheetmetal screws and "plumber's tape" braces.

Are you seriously allowed to drive a car in that condition on a public road?

If we did that over here (in Australia) we'd get shot.

The wagon I used to drive and sold to Subadoom looks very similar, except he strapped the bottom of the hatch on and it's got a siliconed in windshield from when I rolled it. In Oregon, there's no safety inspection whatsoever on old cars, no MOT or rego (whatever tose are!) or emmisions. It's friggin sweet. There are rules about tire width and such, but I see them violated all the time, most cops don't seem to care.

Kinda funny, I thought Auatralia was a lot more lax on those type of things;

Kinda funny, I thought Auatralia was a lot more lax on those type of things;

Ummm..... No!

The car in that video would not be allowed on public roads. Obviously a farm vehicle

In Australia, NSW particularly, we have

A Pink Slip- which is a certificate for a yearly roadworthy check. This includes checks on brakes, suspension, body condition (basically means no rust), engine, lights mirrors ect.

A Green Slip- Third Party Compulsory Insurance, which covers medical expences in the case of injury during a crash

You need both of these to get your car registered, and your car needs to be registered to drive on a public road.

Ummm..... No!

The car in that video would not be allowed on public roads. Obviously a farm vehicle

In Australia, NSW particularly, we have

A Pink Slip- which is a certificate for a yearly roadworthy check. This includes checks on brakes, suspension, body condition (basically means no rust), engine, lights mirrors ect.

A Green Slip- Third Party Compulsory Insurance, which covers medical expences in the case of injury during a crash

You need both of these to get your car registered, and your car needs to be registered to drive on a public road.

How thorough is the rust inspection? I have noticed from eBay that cars in Australia are generally better kept than up here. Most things up here either get thrown away when they're old or restored properly. Not so much of a middle ground.

With the rust inspection,.. generally surface rust that is bubbling the paint is ok, but they will recemend that you fix it before next year.

If there is any rust that has made a hole in any body panel it has to be fixed before rego is passed.

Overall its a good thing, as you have piece of mind that all cars on the road are structually sound.

If there is any rust that has made a hole in any body panel it has to be fixed before rego is passed.

Overall its a good thing, as you have piece of mind that all cars on the road are structually sound.

Or that someone with at least a little bit of talent has filled the thing with bondo....:rolleyes:

While I agree that it's generally a good idea to make sure that road traveling vehicles are "road worthy", I think the general consensus around here is that we don't need the government to decide for us if our vehicles are safe. Heck, they already decide enough things for us.

There are obvious things we have to have, like registration, and liability insurance at minimum. Other than that, it is decided by any passing Police officers if the vehicle is considered unsafe, or not "road worthy".

That wagon/pickup is a stretch, and I wouldn't be surprised to hear soon that it is no longer allowed on the road. The missing front fender would be reason for a ticket if there is any moisture on the road (at least here in Washington), and just the general condition of the body would probably result in constant traffic stops. One Eye has a great story about a Brat in a similar condition, and a Washington State Patrolman.

• 2 months later...
Are you seriously allowed to drive a car in that condition on a public road?

If we did that over here (in Australia) we\'d get shot.

you will surprise if see the dangerous things that moves on our roads. you plan to finish your subaru?