Ultimate Subaru Message Board

am i crazy???oil level freaking me out!!!!

so.....

i changed my oil the other day...

i have changed a few hundred oils in my time so im not really a rookie....

however....

i filled it up to F then started it and ran for a min then turned off checked level 10 - 15 times added a little to get to F......all good

drove about 5 miles came home checked again and was waaaay over F needed to drain some....ok

drained almost a quart before got back down to F started checked all good

drove a few more times thinking i was all set then did a normal check OVER A QUART LOW!!!?!?!?!?

ADDED oil to F (jeeze am i retarded), wife drove to work 60 mi when she got home checked oil waaaay over again looks like almost a quart again??!?!?

so needless to say im a bit confused this car is making me feel like an idiot

im really concerned about doing damage from not having the right level

what am i doing wrong???

figured i would just stop and i would see if any body could help me with some suggestions

PLEASE IM FREAKING OUT

MY WIFE HAS TO LEAVE AT 7 AM AND I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO

i will check in the morning to see

thanks A BUNCH in advance

jeremie

let sit for a while

drain oil til it stops

refill with oil and keep track of how much you are adding (the filter holds about .2 quart iirc)

check PCV, normal engine operation will push oil up the dip stick so don't go off that reading

yeah, your car is laughing on the inside :lol::popcorn:

Im pretty sure the difference between the full mark and the low mark is less than hald a liter - its really not much. Also those heads do hold a lot of oil. I just check mine 5mins after running and fill to just below the F mark.

Personally i ignore the reading when cold unless its WAYYY overfilled or low. A little bit high is fine to me.

Final thought - are you making sure the dipstick seats fully back in the tube between checks? Thats about all i can think of.....

On my 97 OBW, I have noticed that it takes a long time for the oil to really settle back into the pan. I assumed that it has something to do with the boxer configuration. I usually get good reading when cold, if I re-check once or twice. If the engine has run, I like to park it level for as much as 20 minutes before checking. Then, over time I have learned that it doesn't use any oil, and if I get a slightly funky reading once. I check again later. Otherwise I get duped into adding too much oil. Neither my old Subaru, nor my old horizontally oppose VW, were this way, but this car is.

You also have to factor in the difference in volume between cold oil and hot oil. When it's at high cold, it's normal for the dipstick to register up to the higher notch when hot. That's why there's a hole and a notch higher up.

After having fits trying, in vain, to get a correct oil level reading on my Subie over the years, I've finally found the answer.

1) Park your Sube on level ground.

2) Let it sit there for 3 days; a day or two isn't long enough.

3) Then, pull the dipstick out, clean off the oil, and put the dipstick back in.

4) Repeat step #3 fifty times.

5) Then check the oil level. If it seems too low or too high to be correct, that's likely true.

6) If it seems too low, add a quart. If it seems too high, drain a quart. Then, if you've added a quart, drain a half quart out. If you've drained a quart, add a half quart back.

7) Wait three more days. Just one or two days isn't long enough.

8) Repeat steps 3 and 4.

9) If the oil level is either a half inch below or a half inch above the full mark, the correct oil level is somewhere in between there. Consider that good enough because you're not gonna get a more exact reading than that. This IS a Subaru after all.:)

This information from a 25 year experienced Subaru mechanic:

The F line is the full line when you've driven around a bit and the engine is warm.

If you let the car sit overnight, the full indication is the notch cut into the dipstick.

Of course, all checks must be done dead level.

I check my oil after car has sat overnight. It shows just under F mark. One thing I have found is it is best to read the level on the side of the dipstick that faces the engine ie towards the crank. If you look at the other side it always seems to have oil dragged waaaaay up it.

So pretty much same method as edrach outlines above.

It's my understanding that the dipstick notch represents the "maximum full" level -- that is, normally the oil level shouldn't exceed that point. Assuming the cold level was at "F", the notch could be reached if the level is checked hot (after allowing time for drainback), since heated oil expands somewhat and flows more readily.

You also have to factor in the difference in volume between cold oil and hot oil. When it's at high cold, it's normal for the dipstick to register up to the higher notch when hot. That's why there's a hole and a notch higher up.

+1 on taking thermal expansion into account.

:confused:

well .....

i drained out a couple cups and has been ok since

i think the stick is more sensitive than i thought

also you must insert the stick with the picture of the oil can right side up

this thread tells me that im not as stupid as i thought subees are just picky and sensitive

....may be i should but it some flowers:slobber: