Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help! Daughter Just bought A WRX!

She bought an 07 wrx 4 door turbo with 12,000 miles for $17,999. She is happy and it's her money, and I am fine.

Here is the thing, I am a Ford guy, why I don't know, but my last 6 cars have been Fords.

I am a car guy, and I would love for some one to tell me the good points about owning a WRX.

Are they fast?

What are there best features?

Are they sought after?

Who drives them?

Is this a good car for a 21 year old girl?

Seems like Baby bought a rally car.:eek:

Well its a Subaru that's first and foremost. They are reliable, fast, handle very well. In most parts of the country they are fairliy common. Do you work on your own car? I worked on Fords for awhile, personally I'd rather eat worms than work on another Ford. Subarus are very easy to work on. The alt/ac belts take about 20 mins or less to change. Brakes are simple, even the exhaust is mostly rubber hangers very few nuts / bolts 5-10 mins you can have the entire exhaust system out of the car. If she is a responsilbe 21 years old its a great car for her. I have 2 girls myself both grown and on their own. I encourge them to buy Subarus for safety reasons.

As a guy who makes a living working on cars, I will say this: Ford Owner Really Dumb...Frik Our Ride Died :banana:

My tools don't touch fords, or at least they try not to..I hate working on those things, all though they seem to break down enough to make a person a lot of money...If they wanted the stress of working on them.

Now about the WRX, Subys do have their issues, but if she is responsible and maintains it well and gets her major services done but a knowledgable suby tech or a good suby shop and has the proper repairs done it should last here a long time.

Subys are like Volkswagens (I work on those too) they require special knowledge and in some applications special tools to work on. But they are straight forward and easy once one gets they hang of it. Which is why I created a suby niche in the shop I work at...next: Either grad school or open my own suby doors.

Is it an STI or just WRX?

Can I be your daughters friend :Flame:

Good points include those already mentioned above, and THEY ARE SAFE. The body shell is very stiff and will protect her well, should the unthinkable happen.

They are also very communicative, both in the steering and "seat of pants" feeling, which means it will keep her informed if she is pushing close to the limits.

Sheesh Gunner, you're in Oregon ... where Subarus are almost an unofficial state car.

Go drive preci9ouses WRX, and you'll be listing your Fords (you can keep the F-150, Subaru doesn't make a truck, damn) in the local Nickle Trader.

God choice, my adult daughter bought a Jetta TDI wagon, she would'a bought a Subie if the diesel was available in the US.

If she is responsible it's an excelent, fun, easy to work on car (as all Subaru's are). If she isn't.... well the car is WAY too fast for someone that isn't responisible with the power.

230 odd HP, AWD..... you get the idea. It's a monster and it's surprising that Subaru can build them for as inexpensively as they do considering the quality of their products.

Yes - it's basically a detuned rally car. The real machines have around 300 HP and the accesories to handle it.

Ford made a good product at one time and I would love to buy american if only the products were decent. Unfortunately the labor unions, american health care, and the need to compete with japanese brands has driven the quality down.

Plus I absolutely hate transverse anything. Which leaves me with few choices.

GD

coming from a guy who works for Subaru..i will say they are phenominal cars....just remember to keep up the maintaince on them....timing belt, flushes,belts, hoses,brakes...etc....they will last you for many miles if taken care of properly....now if you said 21 year old GUY than i would say the car would prob last for about a week...:lol: check out http://www.cars101.com alot of info there....

Thank you for all the replies, I have always heard great things about Subaru's, just could never afford one, and thats why I drive the Fords, plus 3 of my Fords have been cargo vans.

Glad to hear all the replies have been positive. WRX=Safe, reliable, fun to drive. And the thing looks pretty cool also with the hood scoop and all, just wish she would of got the 2 door version.

I look forward to reading USMB and learning more about Subaru's and what folks are doing to pimp there rides.:)

coming from a guy who works for Subaru..i will say they are phenominal cars....just remember to keep up the maintaince on them....timing belt, flushes,belts, hoses,brakes...etc....they will last you for many miles if taken care of properly....now if you said 21 year old GUY than i would say the car would prob last for about a week...:lol: check out http://www.cars101.com alot of info there....

==========================================================

Thanks for the link Evo.:banana:

Well its a Subaru that's first and foremost. They are reliable, fast, handle very well. In most parts of the country they are fairliy common. Do you work on your own car? I worked on Fords for awhile, personally I'd rather eat worms than work on another Ford. Subarus are very easy to work on. The alt/ac belts take about 20 mins or less to change. Brakes are simple, even the exhaust is mostly rubber hangers very few nuts / bolts 5-10 mins you can have the entire exhaust system out of the car. If she is a responsilbe 21 years old its a great car for her. I have 2 girls myself both grown and on their own. I encourge them to buy Subarus for safety reasons.

========================================================

No I do not work on my own cars anymore.:grin: Good to know you feel they are safe cars.

As a guy who makes a living working on cars, I will say this: Ford Owner Really Dumb...Frik Our Ride Died :banana:

My tools don't touch fords, or at least they try not to..I hate working on those things, all though they seem to break down enough to make a person a lot of money...If they wanted the stress of working on them.

Now about the WRX, Subys do have their issues, but if she is responsible and maintains it well and gets her major services done but a knowledgable suby tech or a good suby shop and has the proper repairs done it should last here a long time.

Subys are like Volkswagens (I work on those too) they require special knowledge and in some applications special tools to work on. But they are straight forward and easy once one gets they hang of it. Which is why I created a suby niche in the shop I work at...next: Either grad school or open my own suby doors.

Is it an STI or just WRX?

Can I be your daughters friend :Flame:

=======================================================

It is not an STI.

Don't hate on the Fords, they are what they are. Fords= ho hum looks and performance at a ho hum price and 0% financing.

Sure you can be my Girls friend, but you can't have her number.:)

I will try and post a pic of her with her new Suby.

Good points include those already mentioned above, and THEY ARE SAFE. The body shell is very stiff and will protect her well, should the unthinkable happen.

They are also very communicative, both in the steering and "seat of pants" feeling, which means it will keep her informed if she is pushing close to the limits.

=======================================

:)

I made great money working on fords, those things are cake.

The subarus though, are even easier.

I'll give this little bit of info.

Outside of my local Subaru dealer in Michigan all but 1 person drove a Subaru into work, the one person that didn't drove a toyota pickup.

Outside of the Ford dealer that i worked at, 2 people drove Subarus, a handful of hondas and toyotas and only a few fords. heck the service manager had his entire family in Hyundais(sp)

We might be a bit biased here about our hate for Fords, but they're not so bad. their new stuff is actually pretty reliable, if you don't mind odd styling.

If she is responsible it's an excelent, fun, easy to work on car (as all Subaru's are). If she isn't.... well the car is WAY too fast for someone that isn't responisible with the power.

230 odd HP, AWD..... you get the idea. It's a monster and it's surprising that Subaru can build them for as inexpensively as they do considering the quality of their products.

Yes - it's basically a detuned rally car. The real machines have around 300 HP and the accesories to handle it.

Ford made a good product at one time and I would love to buy american if only the products were decent. Unfortunately the labor unions, american health care, and the need to compete with japanese brands has driven the quality down.

Plus I absolutely hate transverse anything. Which leaves me with few choices.

GD

=======================================================

Her last car was a BMW 318ti, 4 cylinder 5 speed.

It wasn't real powerful but it handle very well, hopefully the transition to the WRX will be easy for her.

I hate those tranversers also. Them and there whole equal rites thing.:)

I made great money working on fords, those things are cake.

The subarus though, are even easier.

I'll give this little bit of info.

Outside of my local Subaru dealer in Michigan all but 1 person drove a Subaru into work, the one person that didn't drove a toyota pickup.

Outside of the Ford dealer that i worked at, 2 people drove Subarus, a handful of hondas and toyotas and only a few fords. heck the service manager had his entire family in Hyundais(sp)

We might be a bit biased here about our hate for Fords, but they're not so bad. their new stuff is actually pretty reliable, if you don't mind odd styling.

=====================================================

Maybe she will let me drive it to the game this December and we can hook up.

Jets 27 Seahawks 13.

Or maybe I will show up in one of my Fords and you can help me fix it.:)

Let me put it to you this way. . . The average life expectancy of a Subaru is over 300,000 miles. My Subaru is the best car I have ever owned, has over 260,000miles on it, and I use it like a work truck. This means that I regularly beat the carp out of it, and expect more of it than is at all reasonable. At various times, I have carried a full load of tools (including an engine hoist, engine stand, floor jack, jackstands, and two heavy tool boxes) or multiple engines in the back of my Subie. Yes, I work on cars for a living, but I rarely get a chance to work on my own for lack of time and money. I could probably make a good bit more money if I were willing to work on american cars, but I prefer for a car I fix to stay fixed. . . Not just Fords, either. Subarus are bone simple to work on (well, untill you get into Turbos, which your WRX is) because they are so simple. This simplicity also translates to more reliability in that it is easy to perform the regular maintainance on a Subaru. Take a look at the daughter's car. Under the hood, right up front where they are easy to get at, you will find the P/S pump, Alternator, and A/C compressor. The starter is right on top, on the driver's side, an easy reach in. Right next to the A/C compressor is the oil fill tube, and next to it is the dipstick. All easy to get to, with little in thier way. On teh underside, right next to the drain plug, you will find the oil filter. Note that there is nothing in the way of this either, and you can even reach it and the drain plug without even jacking the car up. It is just that easy to maintain these cars. That for relaibility.

As for safety, take a look at the IIHS website and see what percentage of Subarus get top ratings. Subaru had a saying a few years ago:"Airbags save lives. AWD saves airbags." what this references is the fact that the All Wheel Drive system on subarus help it to hold the road better, even during hard manuvering, than the majority of cars on the road. Add to that ABS, and you have a car that maintains traction and control in bad weather as well as most cars do in good weather.

OK, let's be clear. Father to Father, my daughter is 16, and will be getting her license soon. I see way too many little white crosses on the side of the road, and I started teaching my daughter to drive at 12 because I will be DAMNED if I'm gonna let her be one. Yeah that is blunt. I bought and gave to my daughter, a '90 Subaru Legacy wagon, because I want her to have the safest car I can possably get for her. It is just that simple. I believe in Subaru's that much.

Let me put it to you this way. . . The average life expectancy of a Subaru is over 300,000 miles. My Subaru is the best car I have ever owned, has over 260,000miles on it, and I use it like a work truck. This means that I regularly beat the carp out of it, and expect more of it than is at all reasonable. At various times, I have carried a full load of tools (including an engine hoist, engine stand, floor jack, jackstands, and two heavy tool boxes) or multiple engines in the back of my Subie. Yes, I work on cars for a living, but I rarely get a chance to work on my own for lack of time and money. I could probably make a good bit more money if I were willing to work on american cars, but I prefer for a car I fix to stay fixed. . . Not just Fords, either. Subarus are bone simple to work on (well, untill you get into Turbos, which your WRX is) because they are so simple. This simplicity also translates to more reliability in that it is easy to perform the regular maintainance on a Subaru. Take a look at the daughter's car. Under the hood, right up front where they are easy to get at, you will find the P/S pump, Alternator, and A/C compressor. The starter is right on top, on the driver's side, an easy reach in. Right next to the A/C compressor is the oil fill tube, and next to it is the dipstick. All easy to get to, with little in thier way. On teh underside, right next to the drain plug, you will find the oil filter. Note that there is nothing in the way of this either, and you can even reach it and the drain plug without even jacking the car up. It is just that easy to maintain these cars. That for relaibility.

As for safety, take a look at the IIHS website and see what percentage of Subarus get top ratings. Subaru had a saying a few years ago:"Airbags save lives. AWD saves airbags." what this references is the fact that the All Wheel Drive system on subarus help it to hold the road better, even during hard manuvering, than the majority of cars on the road. Add to that ABS, and you have a car that maintains traction and control in bad weather as well as most cars do in good weather.

OK, let's be clear. Father to Father, my daughter is 16, and will be getting her license soon. I see way too many little white crosses on the side of the road, and I started teaching my daughter to drive at 12 because I will be DAMNED if I'm gonna let her be one. Yeah that is blunt. I bought and gave to my daughter, a '90 Subaru Legacy wagon, because I want her to have the safest car I can possably get for her. It is just that simple. I believe in Subaru's that much.

====================================================

260,000 miles:clap: thats great to hear.

This car of hers sounds real throaty, The Tail pipe says COBB on it, is this a stock exhaust pipe?

====================================================

260,000 miles:clap: thats great to hear.

This car of hers sounds real throaty, The Tail pipe says COBB on it, is this a stock exhaust pipe?

Nope that is Cobb Tuning's High Performance Exhuast system http://www.cobbtuning.com/products/?id=2308 !!

You might want to poke around under the hood and see if that thing is "turned up" aka souped-up to 300hp +!!!:eek:

good car for a younger person. if I had the money I'd be driving a STi not just the reg wrx too slow for me lol

As long as she keeps an eye on timing belts, oil changes ever 3000 miles (turbo cooked oil arggggg.) and doesnt get speeding tickets she will be fine.

as far as fords go, I've made a lot of money fixing them, but I will NEVER own a ford. Found on the road dead.. F'd over rebuilt dodge.

as far as fords go, I've made a lot of money fixing them, but I will NEVER own a ford. Found on the road dead.. F'd over rebuilt dodge.

I try not to talk complete, and utter crap about a car company. Especially one that has been around far longer than any of us here.

Chances are that in that time, they have made at least a few good vehicles. ;)

The list could get pretty long for them, and I'm not even a big Ford fan.:burnout: