Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'87 GL problems

I'm trying to help a friend work out a problem with his `87 GL. It was in running condition, then wouldn't start the next morning. I know Honda's have troubles with a main circut relay, do Subaru's ??? just looking for an idea where to start troubleshooting ? Thanks for any help !!!

Chris

If the motor turns over but wont start, then try spraying some starter fluid into the throttle body. if you dont have starter fluid, then carb cleaner/brake cleaner/throttle body cleaner will do. If it fires up and stalls, then you have some sort of fuel problem.

If it doesnt, chances are you have no spark.

Those are the first two things you need to check... fuel & spark.

If the car wont even turn over, then I suggest checking the battery to make sure its not dead.

The engine turns over no problem. Just doesn't lite off. My first thought was a main relay, which is a common problem with Honda's. Didn't know if Subaru's have the same set up wiring wise ?

Ok, talk to me. Is is carbureted, MPFI, MPFI Turbo, SPFI? Forget about any main relay for right now, k? :)

It's fuel, or spark. Like the man said.

Need more info.

Doug

OK I will forget about the main relay. I know you need three things for an engine to run. So I will start with spark, then check fuel and timing events.

I should of put up more info, my bad. I rump roast-u-med/was hoping there might be a common failure area in these cars. I hoped to arm myself with this info before killing 10 gallons of fuel to try and help him out.

P.S. It's carbed.

• 1 month later...