Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I've been suckered....maybe a bit winded

Not commenting on your situation, but I bought two XT6 engines from Ian a few weeks ago and they were pretty much as described.

All XT6 air suspensions are time bombs with little or no warning, I think you just had rotten luck. Going spring is the solution unless you want the air.

At the time of the email I was worried about the lack of contact from the seller. I was hanging it out in the cold with no response. I have since heard back from him and have resolved the matter so to speak. I never thought it was sabotage just bad practice. I don't think anyone outside of Nostradomus can predict a failure of that nature. Well I took Monday off to either drive the car back to Maryland or check out the air system. I start the car Monday morning and POW everything is as it should be. WTF over!! I have no idea what forces are at work but it sat flat for 2 1\2 days then one morning it's all good. Has been fine ever since. And I'm under a constant nervous condition now. Please make note I was very pissed at the inception of this thread. Everything has been reolved as far as me and Ian are concerned. I just thought the worst when I was left hangin'. I'm sure these problems will arise again it's just a matter of when now. I love the air suspension(when it works), it handles like it's on rails. I'll save the conversion for when all else fails. Thanks to everyone for their help and effort. I am lost without each and every one of you guys. With that said, I did do 1 fix Saurday morning in 5 degree temps. I used some JB Weld on the rear solenoid next to the front passenger side strut. Who knows...maybe it worked. Thanks again to all. If you ever meet me...first one's on me. :headbang:

GD- I would love to get a copy of that. I'll throw a couple bucks atcha just for listening to me whine.

When and if you do go the spring route, check into ground control coil overs. They wil adapt to the strut and allow you to go as stiff and low (geometry permitting) as you care to. Also, replacing the strut "cartridge" with something more up to the damping needs of the GCs. Airbags can't even compare to this. I had a similar setup on my XT.

Hi,

If the air "bags" are not split (unlikely as both gone down at same time and would also be very unlucky) then this should be relatively easy to get back on the road without spendng any much money.

You will need access to some compressed air and a power probe to energise the solenoid valves at the top of the struts.

On a right hand drive vehicle the compressor is under the left hand front wing, remove the wing under cover to expose the compressor, you will see all the air pipes going into one place - identify the two rear pipes and remove carefully from the air bottle. Use a small screwdriver or pick to gently prise open the little tabs that hold the pipes in. (there is a special tool for this).

Locate the solenoid valves at the top of each rear strut and unplug the connectors. Apply 12 volts to one pin and an earth to the other pin (solenoid side) and you should hear it click open, gently apply compressed air down the corresponding pipe at the front (you can also apply the compressed air at the strut end by removing the pipe from the strut) hopefully your air bag on that side will inflate - when it gets to the correct height disconnect the voltage from the solenoid. Carry out the same precedure for the other side - when finished leave both the solenoids disconnected to prevent them from being deflated by the control unit.

If your air bags are ok then the problem maybe the pressure switch (located near compressor).

Hope this helps

(I have done this loads of times - many years ago)

Regards

DaveH