Ultimate Subaru Message Board

5-speed d/r search

I called my local wrecking yard in wenatchee,wa for a 5-speed d/r tranny, He didnt have one in stock but could order one for $500, is that reasonable?(sounds a lil steep). Was wondering if anyone knew a good place for those around central washington and the skagit valley area.

That sounds way high to me. I bought one off of a local shop two years ago for 150, and that was a little steep from what I was used to. There have got to be more out there in a junkyard somewhere

I called my local wrecking yard in wenatchee,wa for a 5-speed d/r tranny, He didnt have one in stock but could order one for $500, is that reasonable?(sounds a lil steep). Was wondering if anyone knew a good place for those around central washington and the skagit valley area.

I'm finding that yards are drastically increasing prices,here in the NW, espescially on subaru parts. And they have mercilessly been crushing tons of the older ones, even with lots of good parts on them. They want

fewer cars available for parts, so supply is low, and demand is increasing with more new Subie fanatics wanting to build the next trail machine.

JY have no heart for lovers of old cars:mad:

I'm finding that yards are drastically increasing prices,here in the NW, espescially on subaru parts. And they have mercilessly been crushing tons of the older ones, even with lots of good parts on them. They want

fewer cars available for parts, so supply is low, and demand is increasing with more new Subie fanatics wanting to build the next trail machine.

JY have no heart for lovers of old cars:mad:

not all, i have over 30 older GL wagons and such on our lot at my work, so if you need something shoot me a PM anytime. we are a subaru only wrecking yard, and i KNOW we have more then a few good 5sp d/r tranny's.

problem is, most have really high milage, so trying to find one in good shape is key, thats why i wont sell one unless i test drive it first to see what it feels/sounds like.

I wish there was an actual decent yard around here. There are a couple in Freeport and I believe there was a guy on here named junkyardgabe that runs one of them. But there really aren't any old Subarus. There are a couple but nothing that has anything good left on them. If I remember right junkyardgabe had a Brat and another old one but whenever I asked about them he said that they weren't for sale...yet they sat there rusting away...literally

Try the Prosser WA, area wrecking yard... heard they may have a few...

Spokane also...

alot of the wrecking yards are crushing since metal prices are high.. great condition cars crushed & not hung on too like they used too.

$140 has kind of been the running price around here... but it depends on where you go too. $500 is high, keep digging.

I understand they are trying to pay the bills.. but come on...

Try the Prosser WA, area wrecking yard... heard they may have a few...

Spokane also...

alot of the wrecking yards are crushing since metal prices are high.. great condition cars crushed & not hung on too like they used too.

$140 has kind of been the running price around here... but it depends on where you go too. $500 is high, keep digging.

I understand they are trying to pay the bills.. but come on...

yeah that is more like the going rate should be. I recently paid 150 for a whole 89 GL wagon. It was rusted really bad but it only had 92,xxx miles and had a d/r so I bought it and have made my money back by selling the motor and a couple little parts. So the d/r was free!

not all, i have over 30 older GL wagons and such on our lot at my work, so if you need something shoot me a PM anytime. we are a subaru only wrecking yard, and i KNOW we have more then a few good 5sp d/r tranny's.

problem is, most have really high milage, so trying to find one in good shape is key, thats why i wont sell one unless i test drive it first to see what it feels/sounds like.

How do you test drive it if the car isnt running?

Does that mean you wont sell any drivetrain parts off it? :confused:

Btw, the PAP in Tacoma sells trannies for $50.50 with a $9.50 core charge.

You pull of course.

Edited by Turbone

For 500 bucks it better come with the rest of the car!:banana:

Damn straight. Running and driving.

PAP in Lynnwood and Arlington always have a handfull of dual range 5 speeds. I just happened to buy a zero mile rebuilt for $250. Mistook it for a Legacy tranny til I saw the linkage on the side. Gonna keep it anyway.

its in the yard here. ask subiemech85 about it, he got parts off the car. like i said, dont call them they dont know what they got. Car is there, 5pd DR with 144k on the clock.

IF this is the one you told me of a while a go I did call them and they said they did not have it,:rolleyes: What was the name of that yard again. I might be heading out to subiemech85 to get a tail for my brat.

Kind of off topic but I just got it lifted and Mic's LSD on and I have yet to mount the big tires I want to see how the 4spd does. We will see.

Then it is going to get Mic's light bar on it and the Flat black rustoelem treamet.:grin:

Edited by 7point62fmj

they have too many cars to ever keep track of....its there. rear diff is now on the ground we took it off to get subiemech85 his gas tank.

If i needed a tranny i would get it.

IF this is the one you told me of a while a go I did call them and they said they did not have it,:rolleyes: What was the name of that yard again. I might be heading out to subiemech85 to get a tail for my brat.

Kind of off topic but I just got it lifted and Mic's LSD on and I have yet to mount the big tires I want to see how the 4spd does. We will see.

Then it is going to get Mic's light bar on it and the Flat black rustoelem treamet.:grin:

I got one for sale for 150 buck right now. If you go to PAP in Smokey point WA they are 150 bucks. 500 is outragous.

Jeff[/quote

Is this in Snohomish or Skagit? Are you referring to the one by Arlington next to the airport, by Lumbermens? Cuz they should be the same prices as Lynnwood and Tacoma PAPs'. Trannies are like $50.50 or $51.50 with $8.50 or $9.50 core(can't find one of my dozen or so parts lists stashed wherever).

I got one for sale for 150 buck right now. If you go to PAP in Smokey point WA they are 150 bucks. 500 is outragous.

Jeff[/quote

Is this in Snohomish or Skagit? Are you referring to the one by Arlington next to the airport, by Lumbermens? Cuz they should be the same prices as Lynnwood and Tacoma PAPs'. Trannies are like $50.50 or $51.50 with $8.50 or $9.50 core(can't find one of my dozen or so parts lists stashed wherever).

Ya but a D/R is considered a transfercase. They charge more for that. maybe it is 100 bucks. PAP will some times pull a fast one on ya, On the sheet of paper it says, Axles 11.50 , but in all truth they charge 18.50 and a 3.00 core. The guy who works there in Arlington told me to call and not just take the paper and assume that is the correct price.

Jeff