Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Seafoam question

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

let me see if i can get the royal purple results new remember the royal purple results will be new out of the bottle. i'll see if he has results from his truck that has over 60,000 on the oil. may take me a few days to get. these metals in your motor are good but not in your oils. that shows wear.

let me see if i can get the royal purple results new remember the royal purple results will be new out of the bottle. i'll see if he has results from his truck that has over 60,000 on the oil. may take me a few days to get. these metals in your motor are good but not in your oils. that shows wear.
I'm not interested in Royal Purple; it's not an oil I use and it doesn't tell me anything about the Conklin product.

not trying to piss anyone off just want you to learn abuot better products and help you save money. who don't want to save some money these days. i know i do.
You have a funny way of presenting a product that you like. First of all, I'm familiar with Seafoam and I've used it and gotten good results with it for the purpose I used it for. Then you start off by telling me Seafoam is no good and you've got data to prove that the Conklin product is better; I haven't seen the data yet. And frankly, I really don't care since I haven't a clue where to get the Conklin product. If it were as good as you claim, everybody in the country would know about it and it would be on the shelves of every auto parts store out there.

conklin is not sold in chain stores and prob. never will be. like i keep saying :horse: if you like seafoam thats fine. i will go to the shop that is about 35 miles from where i live and try to take pix and vid of seafoam and the conklin 4power to show every on the diff in each. have to take vid of 4power because it works fast. if i can post video no here? edrach what do you want test results on, i will try my hardest to get them for you. i told you seafoam is no good because me and everyone i know that used it didn't get good results.

here is a youtube video you can see with a guy telling you about his use of the conklin products. go to youtube and search ( 600,000 miles with no overhaul with conklin lubricants ) he mentions a product call safe that is manditory use in indy cars. or you can search conklin lubircants and there are only 4 videos, hope you understand what i've been telling you about these products. if you search conklin company you will find more videos about the company and other products for home, health, ect...

Edited by rtcaravan

Here's the link you are looking for:

http://www.conklin.com/pg.asp?p=672

These are oil analysis testimonials which really have nothing to do with Seafoam. Seafoam does not recommend you use it to increase the miles interval between oil changes nor do they claim to reduce the metal wear in the engine. Oil analysis is fine for truckers, railroad engines, airplane engines and commercial vehicles but is really impractical for a private individual (have you priced the cost of an oil analysis recently?).

And if you're going to run extra long miles without changing the oil, you're asking for trouble even if you do run an analysis. The analysis will tell you that it's time for a major overhaul of your engine. When you see the metal wear, it's usually too late. Oil analysis tells a commercial user when it's time to overhaul the engine, nothing more. For the individual user, the cost of one oil analysis will wipe out all the savings that you might have realized with the extra time between oil changes (as well as the cost of the additives).

Edited by edrach

OK I'll join the fray!! This is only secondhand info.

A good friend of mine (who passed away from cancer) used to run a motor pool in the Marines. He said when they switched to seafoam in the military rigs, the engines saw a marked increase in their internal cleanliness. I'm not sure if this was oil added or fuel though.

the zink in you oils sample shows wear! like i said before they make to many products to show resalts for every product.

So if I use Conklin's Convoy 10W-30,... my oil results will show wear because of the presence of zinc?

Zinc is listed on the MSDS... :confused:

http://www.conklin.com/products/msds/50294.msds.pdf

rtcaravan quoted: " just like royal purple, now they advertise they have zink added into the oil. why would you add a metal to your oil, to make your motor wear out faster? royal purple test results come back as used oil! thats new out of the bottle! "

Edited by '84 Flat-Four
op is contradicting himself

Something I find amusing, is that you (rtcaravan) are pushing this product so

hard, and yet everyone else is coming up with the links and the websites.

All you have done is told us to search youtube, no links, just keywords to

search.

This either means that you have a computer incapable of copy and pasting

or you can't really back any of this up.

Twitch

PS: 84flatfour has a really good point.

How is it that zinc content shows wear when there is zinc in the lubricant?

Twitch

How is it that zinc content shows wear when there is zinc in the lubricant?

Because the OP is confused. If you do an oil analysis on USED oil and zinc shows up it indicates wear (bronze bearings and synchros contain zinc). The OP is right on that score.

However, when the zinc is part of the additives added to oil, it would show up in an oil analysis of NEW oil. It doesn't mean that the oil manufacturer grinds up zinc or uses old oil to formulate new oil; more likely, some chemical (zinc oxide or such as an example, not as fact) is part of the additive package.

if twitch could read, i said i'm going to get video this week on the seafoam vs.4power! and an oil test only cost $15 if you can't aford that i feel bad for you! when you first heard of seafoam you thought this can't work but you tried it didn't you. whats diffrent about conklin? your oil sample don't only show wear it can tell you if you have a headgasket going, you can tell if your air filter is to dirty! oil samples aren't just for commerical use.

Edited by rtcaravan

I stand corrected on the cost of oil analysis. My information came from the 1980’s when I repaired the instrumentation that does oil analysis and spent quite a bit of time talking with customers about the science and the cost….which at that time was $75 per analysis.

In checking the web, I found this link and the OP is correct in his estimate of the cost. http://www.vehicare.com/programs/analysis.cfm lists test kits at $15 to $17 each and viewing what is listed from the analysis there’s quite a bit of information.

As to telling when your head gasket is going, you’ll know that the head gasket is leaking well before you’ll see chunks of head gasket material in the oil. The temperature gauge will tell you that well before you get an oil analysis. Besides, the normal test for imminent head gasket failure is to measure for hydrocarbons in the coolant.

And for telling if the air filter is dirty, I just take it out now and then and look at it. I don’t have to spend money on an engine oil analysis for that!

Edited by edrach

the oil sample will tell you way before your gauge will and for the air filter it may look ok but it may not be good enough. there will be a video on youtube later this week showing you how good your seafoam works compaired to 4power. look for the video. i'm done trying to help better your vehicles i know how the conklin products work and i know i won't ever have any problems, and will be saving money useing thes products. aren't you skeptial about products before you use them. i know i was. this is the last time i'm going to post about it. all i can say is try it you won't be disapointed.

i was wrong about the zink it's an anti-wear additive sorry my bad! another thing i found out today if you use there oils and you have motor, trans, or rear failure do to lack of lubercation they will buy you a new one. seafoam wont do that! here are more videos http://www.family21.info .you don't have to go to a dealer every time to buy something they will ship it right to you when you need it. if you have any questions you can contact Broc at http://www.conklin.com/site/troxellsrepair he can help you with questions better than me. he meet the owner of the co. have your sales men of seafoam ever meet the owner of seafoam, dought it!

Edited by rtcaravan

i was wrong about the zink it's an anti-wear additive sorry my bad! another thing i found out today if you use there oils and you have motor, trans, or rear failure do to lack of lubercation they will buy you a new one. seafoam wont do that! here are more videos www.family21.info .you don't have to go to a dealer every time to buy something they will ship it right to you when you need it. if you have any questions you can contact Broc at www.conklin.com/site/troxellrepair he can help you with questions better than me. he meet the owner of the co. have your sales men of seafoam ever meet the owner of seafoam, dought it!
Your first link sets you up to an Amway like site to become a dealer. The second link doesn't connect.

Look I don't want to knock your conklin products but frankly, I've never heard of them before nor have any of the other 20,000+ members of the USMB ever suggested using them. Early on I had a problem with our car and someone here suggested Seafoam, I found it at the local auto parts store, used it and found it solved my problem. I've since used it with good success for other things for the last 10 years.

I'm not into trying synthetic oils that I've never heard of in my car. I don't even use synthetic engine oil in my car since I don't believe that there is an economic justification for using it. I find that dyno oil changes every 2500 miles have served me well with my cars and can't justify taking the chance of using ANY oil with an oil change interval of 15K miles or more. I generally buy my Subarus with around 100K miles on them and keep them until they turn 250K. Then I generally sell them still running to someone else. Testimonials from racecar drivers/owners about the merits of their synthetic oils don't sway me since I can't rebuild my engine every month or two.

Just for clarity, I'm not against all synthethic oils. I've had very good success with Redline 75W-90NS gear oil which I've suggested to others with high mileage transmissions.

I can summarize, I don't change my preferences like oil brands based on anything other than the need to replace a brand that doesn't seem to be working for me. If I have an issue with what I'm using I'll research other alternatives and try them out. But just to change something that is working for me, seems un-necessary.

this is nothing like amway! thats fine, but contact the owners of the oils you use and see if they will replace your motor if it blows do to lack of lubercation. i'm almost 100% shure they won't. i'm not telling you to switch, only trying you open your eyes to something better. just like you said someone turned you on to seafoam. you wouldn't have to have your motor rebuilt with the conklin, if the motor blew do to lack of lubercation you would get a new motor. sorry try the other site i missed a letter. you can ask him anything you want!!!

Edited by rtcaravan

this is nothing like amway! thats fine, but contact the owners of the oils you use and see if they will replace your motor if it blows do to lack of lubercation. i'm almost 100% shure they won't. i'm not telling you to switch, only trying you open your eyes to something better. just like you said someone turned you on to seafoam. you wouldn't have to have your motor rebuilt with the conklin, if the motor blew do to lack of lubercation you would get a new motor. sorry try the other site i missed a letter. you can ask him anything you want!!!

300,000 miles on my ea 82 running Quaker State 10w-30 for the last 150,000. This moter burns no oils and has been and still is driven HARD.

If it was going to blow from lack of lubrication it would be from me not checking the oil and letting it run dry. It is a subaru ya know, they like to leak a little. It wouldn't be because of the oil I use. If that were the case, it wouldnt have never made it this far.

rtcaravan..no offence to you what so ever...but I think you should really stop trying to shove this product down peoples throats..You like it ..fine..great..happy day for you. We arent shoveing Seafoam or MMO and telling people they HAVE to use it.

I am with Edrach... we are really loyal to the products that work for US.. ( Me its Subaru OWM filters or Wix or Purolator filters, Gastrol GTX oil and changes every 3000 miles ..and the use of Seafoam only when needed to stabalize gas..or to clean out the system..usually in the old higher mileage cars I buy to clean up POs neglect).

IMO you keep coming off as a jerk about the matter. There is nothing wrong with suggesting a product..but your forceful plug for it it getting to be annoying.And that alone IMO will make me never even want to try it.

And like mudduck said..if I have failure due to lack of lubrication..its going to be from me not checking it on my leakers.

like i keep saying you like seafoam thats fine. if you guys don't want to save money thats fine also. i know i'm using superior product!!! now thats being a jerk!! how do you like me now. F SEAFOAM IT'S FING JUNK!!!!:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

like i keep saying you like seafoam thats fine. if you guys don't want to save money thats fine also. i know i'm using superior product!!! now thats being a jerk!! how do you like me now. F SEAFOAM IT'S FING JUNK!!!!:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

Well I'm sold with an endorsment like that!!

Gotta find me some Conklin now...