Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Finaly Lifted!

TheLoyale

Briggs, thank you too. Now all I need is a rear bumper with D-rings, trailer hitch cupler and spair tire swing arm! like what Scott makes, but would have a cutout/coved in area for the tail pipe. HTi was talking about changing the rear bumpers they make (With all that stuff on them) so it does have a area for the tail pipe, other wise you need to mod the pipe :(

Oh yea, I also need another pug with round holes so I have a spare. :)

Edited by TheLoyale

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the 2" SJR is the cheepest (Let alone making your own) that I've seen.

-Tom

PS: if you are thinking of lifting yours sometime, I would keep soaking all the bolts with Seafoam from time to time, so when you do want to remove them it will be alot easier (Its what I've been doing since I got the car in '06) I lube any bolts I can get to (Plus it keeps them from rusting more)

Just an idea.

Looks great Tom :banana::banana::banana::banana: glad you finally got it together.

I have been toying with the idea of selling/trading my Legacy for a lifted EA82 wagon. Just like the looks of the EA82s better.

Yea..you really need that D/R 5 spd in there now. So then it will be really able to do what you are building it to do.

Connie, thank you. That would be a coo idea, I too like how the EA82 looks compaired to a 1st gen Lego. Aaa, somday I'll get a D/R (The auto is great for now) shifts like new and never hear or feel anything (Band slipage, no noting!) I dunno why people say the 3ats are crap, if you change and check the fluid I think they would last. plus don't abuse it. Anyhoo thanks again :)

Ski, you will still need to trim the front a little (Just to be safe) The rear of the fender will have to be cut (If you turn full) the front might slip by with the lift. I would just cut it cleanly with an air cut off tool, like I did. and yes I was nervus when I first cut into the front fenders but it tuned out good. The rear fenders will not need to be cut (But then again my lip was rotted Lol) I only hammerd up the lip cause my rear tires were hitting on bumps (And still did, untill the lift) Now it doesn't hit at all! Yay.

Hope this helps you, and hope you get the lift!

-Tom :)

Tom.. the real problem with the 3at is the fact its a dog...compaired to the 5 spd ..or even the 4eat..its just a slow lumbering transmission. If you havent driven one with the 5 spd then you wouldnt know...but after driving one 5 spd for 4 years ..and another for 2 years ( my 88 GL and of course the Buckster) the ATs just seem terribly slow.... even the 4EAT in my Gen2 lego just seems lumbering sometimes. Plus when you take it offroad..that D/R will really help.

But dont swap it out until that one goes...or unless you find a super good deal one one. Car still looks great!:)

Connie, I totaly agree. The 3spd doesn't do the motor justice, If is dogish sometimes, but it works. right? Lol this tranny could use a passing gear, anyhoo. yea a 4EAT or a 5spd D/R would be nice. I wish they would have put the D/R in these 3ats (Why no?) guess it would have made it to expensive? I mean my parents '99 Blazer has hi-low and its an auto. and of corse the FJ has hi-low (Awesome truck!) Alright I need to stop carring on lol.

Scott, wow you really want ot put a picture of my car on your site! Well go right ahead sir. If you want to wait till a little later today, I'm gonna go get some pictures of in on a road or in a feild or somethng lol. So if you'd like something like that better? What ever, doesn't bother me. :)

-Tom

I mean my parents '99 Blazer has hi-low and its an auto. and of corse the FJ has hi-low (Awesome truck!) Alright I need to stop carring on lol.

-Tom

The blazer also has a transfer case to give the high low rather than a planetary reducer on the input shaft, like the subaru D/R transmissions had. I'm not sure if it would have been possible to fit the low range unit in the front of the 3AT, whereas it's easier to bolt a transfer case to the back of a longitudinal rwd transmission.... automatic or manual doesn't change it much.

New FJ or old FJ? I like the old ones, but not the new ones (they also make the new ones in 2wd...... :confused:

The blazer also has a transfer case to give the high low rather than a planetary reducer on the input shaft, like the subaru D/R transmissions had. I'm not sure if it would have been possible to fit the low range unit in the front of the 3AT, whereas it's easier to bolt a transfer case to the back of a longitudinal rwd transmission.... automatic or manual doesn't change it much.

New FJ or old FJ? I like the old ones, but not the new ones (they also make the new ones in 2wd...... :confused:

Yea, I didn't think about the transfer case. Ok, forget I said that Lol..

Its a 2008 FJ, brand new only had 140miles on it back in fall '08, now it has almost 9,500. I too like the only FJ40s, I like the old Land Cruisers too (Safari style!) :) Yes they do make the new FJ in a 2WD version too, its the cheepest model you can get :rolleyes: We speard no expence, 4WD-D/R. 8 speakers and a sub (Sounds great) My mom wanted that lol. Now they need to get some aggresive tires and a brushguard and they are set :) I will post a picture of it on here.

Ok, time for pictures again! Something no one has ever seen my car do before:

2009_0713Test0001.jpg

2009_0713Test0002.jpg

2009_0713Test0003.jpg

2009_0713Test0004.jpg

2009_0713Test0005.jpg

2009_0713Test0007.jpg

2009_0713Test0008.jpg

I had fun today, yes it might not be extrem, but I enjoyed it. :banana:

Ooo heres a picture from last year:

2008_0410Test0002.jpg

And heres the FJ, needs some BFG All-Terrains or MTs something better then these tires lol. its a 3.0 V6 and I think 5spd auto. Its just a rocket off the line and going down the road. it just slids right into the next gear. Insaine! A must test drive!

2008_1102Test0012.jpg

2008_1102Test0015.jpg

-Tom

Nice job tom, amazing how much better it looks that way too.

question - did you install the rear shocks "below" or "on top of" the rear angle brackets? i've got one side one way and the other side the other. not sure how it's "supposed" to be or if it matters. was wondering what you did.

underneath technically would gain a few millimeters more lift, but doesn't much matter. i'll probably go with which ever appears to stress the strut bushings the most evenly.

Gary, thank you. yes it is amazing how much better it looks! I'm very pleased.

Anyhoo, on the rear sturt qusetion. I don't understand what you mean, how could you install the shocks on top of the rear brackets? That would be just mounting the struts into their stock location. I'll get a picture real quick and post it and maybe it'll answer your qusetion.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help at the moment.

Gary, he is a picture on how I mounted the rear shocks. Bolted the plates to the stock bolt holes and then bolted the shocks to the lower holes on that plate, give the 2" lift.. Unless I'm just not understanding your question Lol. Please explain if I am not getting it :o

2009_0711Test0004.jpg

Thanks again Gary!

-Tom

Gary, he is a picture on how I mounted the rear shocks. Bolted the plates to the stock bolt holes and then bolted the shocks to the lower holes on that plate, give the 2" lift.. Unless I'm just not understanding your question Lol. Please explain if I am not getting it :o

2009_0711Test0004.jpg

Thanks again Gary!

-Tom

above or below the bracket....?

Geez, I must be really out of it this week or something. I still can't comprehend this question. Please excuse me for my lameness :)

The Bracket on top of the shock that ur suppose to spin 180 Deg? I'm racking my brain right now, God I feel like fool for not being able to answer a question about something I installed!

-Tom

I really don't care for red Subarus, ask around. But yours looks really nice. Those pugs painted white are stupendous. Good job man.

To answer your pm: 4 inches in the front, 3 in the rear. My tires are 27/9.50s. The Scooby has the same tires on his 2 inch lifted GL wagon, so you should be able to use them too.

http://www.4wheelparts.com tends to stock them.

Mike, Thank you! Yes I would love to get into some mud hehe, but dunno where or when. Thanks again!

Zap, Lol well thank you. Whats wrong with red? anyhoo this red is better then that brighter red the GLs came in. I don't care what color the car is (Well not purple or pink, and i'll be fine hehe) Ok, thats you for replying in here. ur coupe still looks badass!

Later guys,