Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Another car i might buy.-XT-6

Sorry i know i post a lot of these but there is always some downfall about the car so i havent bought one yet.

This XT6 is in fair shape for living here in Utah. Cars get pretty rusty here. Its olny rusted out on the front fenders right in front of the pass and driver's doors. The only downfalls to the car the owner will admitt up to is the noisy lifters and bad muffler. I will go drive it in the next couple days and have more info on the car. Here is a link to the car.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=443&sid=733005&tab=images/view&ad=1420248

Is the noisy lifter going to be a big mechanical issue? Any options like replacing the lifters and oil pump to solve it? Anyways looks pretty decent, just begging for some WRX wheels and love!

Give me some info or input please! Thanks

XT6's have issues with the oil pump shaft seals - check out the XT specific forum site for details. I believe a lot of folks move the location of the seal so it rides in a different location on the shaft as the shafts are often grooved badly resulting in the pump sucking air.

Normal XT's are just EA82's with a quite different body.

Unfortunately you really have to love the XT6 to actually own one. Parts are difficult to come by and they share almost nothing with any other vehicle. The engine is an EA82 with two extra cylinders (known as the ER27) - they are on par with reliability, but the maintenance parts are extraordinarily expensive being they were only made for three years - electronic components that are near impossible to source for less than your first born, electric power steering for which no fluid exists anymore :rolleyes:, and a myriad of other strangeness that makes them undesirable for daily driving. I am personally of the opinion that if I can't throw a rock and hit a spare part for my daily within 10 miles of my house it's not a viable vehicle for me. If I lived in a lot of the locations that some of the poor souls on this board live in I would just drive a Toyota.

If you a looking for a collectible and something to restore and drive on weekends - go for it. They are not viable daily drivers in this man's opinion.

If you are looking for something for daily travel - get a Gen 1 Legacy. 93 and 94 being the best years. Consider anything older to be a part time job just to keep it on the road. I spend every other weekend keeping my fleet of old junk on the road - but I love it and accept it for what it is. If that's not what you want in life then trust me - XT6's are a poor choice. Along with just about every EA series out there at this point. Just too old and too many miles I'm afraid.....

GD

Sorry i know i post a lot of these but there is always some downfall about the car so i havent bought one yet.

This XT6 is in fair shape for living here in Utah. Cars get pretty rusty here. Its olny rusted out on the front fenders right in front of the pass and driver's doors. The only downfalls to the car the owner will admitt up to is the noisy lifters and bad muffler. I will go drive it in the next couple days and have more info on the car. Here is a link to the car.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=443&sid=733005&tab=images/view&ad=1420248

Is the noisy lifter going to be a big mechanical issue? Any options like replacing the lifters and oil pump to solve it? Anyways looks pretty decent, just begging for some WRX wheels and love!

Give me some info or input please! Thanks

It could just be TOD. Theres lots of info here about it and over at http://subaruxt.com/forum/index.php.

You can try Seafoam or MMO first. If that doesnt quiet them down, reseal the oil pump. If it still ticks, replace the oil pump.

buy it

Try a little harder next time.

If this car has air suspension still, meaning it has not been converted over to struts, then you will want to consider the conversion. Its one of the "must have done" things on this car, air struts go bad and are pricey to fix, conversion is cheaper.

"Anyone else in utah that wants this one go get her!"

I am not in Utah, but thinking of getting it.....

Having owned an XT6 and used it for a Daily Driver.. I am on par with GD. Good for a weekender project car..but if you dont have easy access to spare parts..not a good daily driver. There are some easy mods to get rid of some of the most expensive failures..such as the air ride suspension...swap to coil overs.... replacement brushes for the power steering and the Cybrid fluid shows up sometimes on ebay and even some dealers have some old stock laying around.

It depends what your plans are for it really. Mine was a money pit..and it was a low mileage motor ( 30K motor 170K mile car) spent more time broke down then being driven.

They are a super fun car to drive though..I will give them that. Not fast but the fun factor is way up on the scale.

ooh ya im hoping it wouldnt be too hard to up keep. Like my loyale was. So maybe i will search for another Loyale or older wagon.

Even Loyale's aren't a great choice for a daily anymore. Seriously - go for a 93 or 94 Legacy - they are super dependable and easy to find parts for. 135 HP - they will take 5 psi of boost for about 200 HP.... what's not to love?

GD

I understand your want for finding a good car for under $1k. And also, praise to the fun finds that KSL classifieds has to offer! :banana: Let me know what you end up getting and I will be more than happy to help fix things up and rummage junkyards with you. Be even more willing once my brat is finished... *insert hopeful sigh here*

having owned 30 or so of them i obviously like them. i've had one as a daily driver for a very long time, putting 45,000 miles in one year on one and driving a 120 mile commute as a critical employee at NASA for real time satellite operations, missing a day was not an option.

but i also do preventative maintenance.

other cars are easier to maintain, you would want the subaruxt.com forum to help you along. it's rather easy to keep an XT6 running for very little money, so the expensive parts hurdle is one you can run around. all the expensive parts can typically be remedied in some way if it's an issue.

any 20 year old car is subject to abuse too - so no matter what it is the real gamble is the 20 years of prior ownership. they are reliable...or should i say, "were reliable", but don't expect it out of the box for any 20 year old vehicle. they are cheap and old cars now and most have been abused, it's much harder to find one that hasn't been neglected in all sorts of ways than it was 10 years ago. back then, it was easier to get a nice one in great condition and well taken care of.

they're way nicer than EA82's, they drive substantially nicer and have enough power to be nice to drive. the first gen legacy's GD talks about are easy to find cheap, if you can put up with how ugly and unassuming they are. i'm not one to care about looks very much, i never ever wash my cars, and hey i drive a goofy looking XT6. the only one i ever entertained getting was offered to me for free, i turned it down. the impreza's might look nicer to you and the impreza hatches are nice for functionality if you like that kind of thing.

Edited by grossgary

Geeze, lots of 3rd gen love in here. It's an old car that was rare when made. You do have to be dedicated, but it makes a good daily. Mine is a daily, but it's a bit special. I was also a daily when it was more stock. I also just got back from my trip in it to NC for the Dragon meet.... Just about 3000 miles with no issues. Don't be scared, just do it.

Ohh and you CAN still get PS fluid for them, it's just really expensive, but you hardly need it since the systems rarely leak. Parts are not really expensive, they are on par with the rest of the GLs and what not, they are just harder to find then the GL parts.

If you need to to have parts falling from the sky in order to keep a car on the road, you really are not an enthusiast.:dead:

Edited by kingbobdole

I like the EA82 wagons. I had one i drove 200 miles to college and back with over 200k on the Odo and the TOD from college every weekend and it was a champ! I could buy a new car but its kinda a nostalgic thing to have another old Subaru. And i tend to lean towards wagons. But this xt6 came up and i just had to ask if it was a good choice. After perusing the forum here for years im itching to get a good wagon and do a 2 inch lift. So i think i will go that way.

Hey Gwilson, do you work at the Subaru dealership in American Fork?

So update, i will probably get a EA82 and do a 5spd DR conversion and 2inch lift. Thanks for all the input!

Nope, that is zstalker. I work for someplace almost as exciting thought! ok so no I don't. :rolleyes: If you end up with an EA82 wagon I know there are plenty of parts for those at our local junkyards. Kurts, and state street being our best options. So get cracking so I can see some more old subarus around the valley! :banana::headbang:

Oh, and if your wondering where to get a 5 sp d/r. There is a gl at kurts that already has the engine out (had to use a seatbelt to pull the thing because I forgot a chain) and the trans cross member out of the way. Should only take a few minutes to pull that sucker.

This car cannot be thought of as a typical "daily driver" but the body looks to be in better shape than the one I had of the same color scheme, mine was mechanically a peach, but after having trouble just locating the special cybrid power-steering fluid, and having a hard time just ordering a stock XT-6 clutch, I'd say this is going to be more of a hobby horse no matter how you look at it. I know some people who say as long as the bags on the air suspension are in good shape and you maintain them regularly, they are no problem. Mine fit this description, however I agree once they do go, they aren't going to be easy or cheap to replace.

I still wish I had mine, but when I had to choose between it and the brat, it had to go. I loved both the air ride suspension and cybrid steering, helped me dodge a moose on a highway in the dark I bearly had time to see, and it was just plain fun to drive.

I'd say for $800 bucks it's a great project car, just realize it's not going to be your typical "drive it till it dies" subaru and be sure you get a good source for parts, many manufacterers don't realize there is a difference between the XT-6 and the XT and will send you parts for the latter.

Nice car, if I lived near enough and had the cash to spare, I'd take it on as a project. :banana: