Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Road Trip II: TrashWagon's RETURN

Ok, time has come to plan a road trip. The road trip involves driving to idaho, and retreiving TRASHWAGON 5. to all be known i will be making the trip with a suspended license, and a WARRANT FOR MY ARREST in idaho.

What? is this another "jack move"?? i am afraid not. this time around i know what NOT to do!!

so far the current plan is to set out on March 19. the date is so because a film student in wisconsin has a hankerin to DOCUMENT the trip(this has been a background idea for tha last couple years....), so this would be a good opportunity for both of us

So far we need to decide what car to take. The RX, or TRASHWAGON SIX. if the rx goes, we need to fix the wheel bearing. so far the motor is trustworthy with over 1000 miles since the carb block swap. we will bring spare timing belts if one breaks, a 20 minute fis off the side of the road, open belts

If Trashwagon 6 goes, by then i will have an xt6 5 lug suspension, a full time 5spd trans. If the legacy axles will fit on the xt6 swap, i will install the best of the four, and take the other ones as spares. the rear axles are good, but so what if one goes if u got full time with diff lock. the only concern is my carburetor, it runs like dook, bad gas mileage, fouled plugs. if i can find a good carb, then its on. because i doubt i will have a turbo motor by then

The trip out will run past chicago, around then north to wisconsin, then minnesota, so dakota, wyoming, montana. just before idaho, we will divert north to whitefish montana, and eithe sneak into bonners ferry idaho, or have my car meet us at the state line 30 miles away. all i know is if we get stopped in idaho for whatever reason, i will be going to jail for the time it takes to equal 375 bucks of court costs that have not been paid. it will be 2043 miles out.

on he way back, we will be taking US route 2 thru montana, n dakota, minnesota, wisconsin the UP of michigan, and michigan itself to indiana. the ride back is 2037 miles

we will ride out in one car, and back in 2. So far MYOSS FEECE will be the driver out. but we need another driver for the way back. so far the only option at this point is ZANNY DOOK, who cant drive stick, isnt hiway travel seasoned but has a license. if he drives back, one of us will have to ride with so he can navigate the higway system, and not get lost

I will calculate fuel costs at 25 mpg, and 2.00 per gallon, for 1 and a half cars, for 4500 miles. that will give room for extra fuel for route deviations, and room for extra cash to be alloted for emergency.

the total will be 540 bucks. but with that estimate, if gas averages 1.75, then thats 25 cents times 180=45 bucks for extra gas, good for another extra 1125 divided by 2 = 562 extra miles for each car on the way back. i figure mileage will average close to 30 mpg for the most part, so 5 x 180=another 900 miles, 450 miles for each car.

but with all that extra slack, it should cover food and other costs with a comfortable margin. 25% of 600 bones will be 150 bucks, if we devote 25% to food, and 75% for gas. and 75 % of 600 is 450, should do it for fuel anyway.

I will save up at least 400, if not more, in one month if i can stash away 100 bucks a week. if i can keep 35 hour average then that will give me at least 200 dollar checks, and i dont pay rent as of yet, but when i get my apartment, my rent will only be 25 bucks a week(payroll deduction). Myoss Feece will save up towards 200 bucks to put in. we each pay half of gas on the way out, and pay each our own cars ourselves back. i will cover extra costs as food or hotel if needed

so the 19th is at least 4 weeks away. any extra money will go to insurance. What i will do is reinstate my insurance policy on my ride, and add tw5. i need to tenew my plate for tw5, to wear on the way home.

if we take the rx instead, insurance will be cheaper for this trip, since the RX is already insured.

Since i am going all thru these states, i am down for visiting if anyone is interested, emergency contacts and pit stops. and those of you who missed wcss5, now you can see a PAIR of trashwagons, my cars have never met yet.

anyway, that is the plan. if we cant make the march 19 deadline, we may film locally, and then piggy back on the boss's proposed trip to seattle, much easier and less expensive, but not as bold of a maneuver.

and i am going to bust a donut in CRAZYBOY's yard if he discloses his address, and if its on the way(check the alliance board)

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by northguy

Is the value of the trashwagon worth the expense and potential jail time?

Probably not, but then again this sounds like something my life usually lacks: PURE ADVENTURE. I'm not sure which of the constraints makes it more exciting: the possibility of jail time (always high up there), the possibility of highway breakdowns, or the running-out-of-money factor.

Sounds like a truly great trip, and well worthy of the film used to capture it.

Good luck and Godspeed!

Luke

"Mr Stubbs! Start the tryworks, we shall go forward laden with fire!"

(I'd double check the spare tire(s), take a couple road flares, gloves, flashlight(s), some premixed coolant, if the other wagon has been sitting for a while maybe some Heet additive. Make sure the wipers are in good shape too. Watch for semis with antennas and pace 'em. Definitely slow down when they do.)

good luck man!

wow, thanx for the luck wishes. yes, the guy in whitefish with the camo ea82 wagon, i got his pics on my server...

i will be running on 5 lugs, i will have 3 choices for tires, the xt6 14's, impreza 13's, or leganus 15's

i will bring one can of gas, (dont want to smell it all the way there

), i will bring all of my spare timing belts, too. i know exactly which tools to bring, for any repair, ask anyone who was at wcss5!!!

that and i got a lot of supplies and spare parts still in the trashwagon5. first things first, i am paying back Bradd for the bus ticket this weekend. then i can start saving

as far as "is it worth it over potential jail" i didnt build a car to aboandon it agross the country. the trip is only half complete. Trashwagon will pick up from where it left off, and return on its intended route back home. Furthermore, Zanny Dook will be present, as he was ONE of the 2 that went with me the last time. jail dont scare me, but it gets old having to start over again each time. but i will be safe and dare not step over the idaho line, since the warrant wont expedite or arrest out of state. (hence my 2 pullovers, 2 tickets, and numerous court dates here since) probation remembers the last road trip. i will tell the PO that im getting my car, dont know if i cant leave state. but thats that

if i were to be stopped, pulled over in idaho, off to jail. nothing i could do but ride out 375 bucks in court costs worth of jail time, back to where i was. but i will hand over the car and tell my dudes to hit the road, because if my car gets home, i could much care less about being in jail. thats how i would feel anyway. so that doesnt scare me. losing car forever scares me

all in all, this trip will be final redemption for everything since wcss5. Redeeming myself for my car, my friends, my job and everyone at work, and all those who helped us out last time.

as far as the least colorful car, its gonna be trashwagon6 (blue with orange stripe, hood scoop (NO SHEET METAL OR LIGHTS)

if its nut up to the task, it will be an 87 rx wit a blue fender, and an anus lift.

as far as tires, i got them out my anus, i will bring 2 tires, one in the hood, one on top. trashwagon 5 has its spare too, thanks to flowmaster87, edrach, and ezap. it also has 2 good axles and a good spare, thanx ed. it also has a good gas tank, vs a ruptured rigged up one the way out thx ratty2subaru. and a replacement fender from a catastrophic blowout thx bratsrus(jerry). straight bumper and passenger doors thx LUMPYCAM.

and thx BRADD for the bus home, the security of my car, and the patience with the boundary county judicial system.

be advised, in some jurisdictions carrying a gas can inside the car is illegal. It's petty, but if they can see it they might be able to pull you over for that (depending on the jurisdiction), and if they've pulled you over for something else, it's gonna cost you more dinero.

good luck!

-Dok

all i can say is good luck and be carful, i got a restricted lisence now, until im 18, which is april 3rd, 2004, so i got just under 2 months until i get it back, then in july im driving with about 90 other people to phoenix to go to college.

but anyways, again good luck and be very careful.

Shean

Well now, the 19th ehh? Better plan on bringing a battery. I will dig it out of the snow and get it so it is operational. It hasn't run in a while. I did get the money order and I thank you. I will deliver the car to Troy Montana. Plan your trip accordingly. I don't want to drive that thing to Whitefish. The plate is good for a year. It should still be good, all I have to do is find them. You can't replate it again without changing the title. It is a one time deal. Please do not drive into this state even 30 miles. Do it for me. I will get you your car. It is exactly as you left it. Ought to be a heck of a trip and I too wish you luck and God's speed. You are a good enough wrench to get it home if nothing major blows. I would consider a tow bar in case. Let me know a few days in advance of your departure so I have time to prepare. I am schedueled for hip surgery in the near future and don't want to have conflicts. No, it hasn't healed. Let me hear from you soon, Bradd:brow:

BRADD, the 19th date is the PLANNED date, and it will be a go if it falls into place by then. I have a backup plan that involves the head honcho at work, to "piggyback" my way out on his proposed trip to seattle.

SUPPOSE ANYONE NEAR THE BORDOR WOULD HARBOR MY CAR?

anyway, i have a lot of CONSTRUCTION work lined up for the immediate future, things are looking good at work, and for the company

i would like to bring TRASHWAGON 6 out, being a wagon, but we have the RX if it cant make it

if i do come in #6, it will have good axles, and 2 spares. as far as a reliable motor, i havent found a carb, and wont have a turbo motor by then. BUT I HAVE AN EJ22.

i have started on the adapter plate, it would be the tits to drive a PAIR OF TRASHWAGONS on the way back!

glad you got the money order, being that i didnt have much faith with the MAIL. i still owe another 40, i will either send that out, or bring it with, email me how you want to do that

My plates are due in march, so i need to get insurance before i can renew. so i will be bringing a LEGAL SPANKIN' NEW license plate for #5, insurance of course. that is the only thing that can go wrong, so i will have that taken car of first. and its too much a risk to go to idaho, dont want to go to jail there again, with a warrant out already. and besides, 373.50 will go towards my cars rescue before i pay that damn county. but things look good, i will pay it when i can swing it, so it doesnt hinder FUTURE ROAD TRIPS.

Miles,

Don't have stupid stuff in your car, you don't need anymore trouble in any state.

Drive the speed limit.

Cover anything you don't want anyone to see?

Most important.........

Keep us posted!

Good luck,

Glenn

82 Hatch, well it used to be...

01 Forester, bent but not broken!

• 2 weeks later...

all is coming together nicely. the trashwagon6 has the ej22 and 5 lugs installed, and the wiring harness is almost complete

the rx has held up some 3000 miles already since the carb block swap. there is a rip in the front axle boot, and the rar boot is torn. we removed both rear axles and had made a trip to columbus, oh and back with the DIFF LOCK, some 420 miles round trip

we plan to re-boot the front axles, and keep the rears uninstalled, but have them as spares.

the trip to columbus proved thet we can average 200 miles in 3 hours, and half a tank. we're going to west virginia 400 miles this weekend, and ZANNY DOOK will get a crash course in hiway, stick shift, and interstate navigation

so far i have 325 bucks in the bank, and a pending loan app for 500 bucks. working for jim and alleyboy helps a lot with the funding

the used car dealer in edon ohio called on me to service a customers car. i am working at my rate of 20 bucks an hour, times book hour rate. an axle book rates for a couple hours, i can do one in 30 minutes! things are looking good, and i have money flowing into my anus for someone who is parpetually broke!

most likely we will take the RX, its proven reliable, it has new ball jojts, soon to get new axle boots. but i still would like to get trashwagon 6 running by then

Greetings, all. I'm the filmmaker from Milwaukee who's tagging along on this mad excursion.

Glad to hear things are still together on your end. The new camera arrived here yesterday (Canon GL1), and it is extremely sweet. However, I have a bit of a scavenger hunt for you guys- Try to track down a few used beater camcorders (preferably under $10) that we could, in theory, bolt to the outside of the Trashwagons. Miles, I get the impression you'll find a hard camera mount a useful thing far beyond this project. Also, see if anyone has any junk tripods or such to scavenge parts off of to build the camera mounts. It would be also good to have a spare camera to give to the second car team on the way back.

Other logistical questions-

1. I am assuming both cars have working cigarette lighters? I intend to run the cameras off an inverter and power suppy.

2. Does anyone have a cell phone? I have one; it would be good to have another to communicate between cars. If not, I might be able to borrow one.

3. I need directions and such to get down to Butler. Street address and phone number, essentially. ( e-mail it to me ). At this point I'm not sure if I'm driving down or taking Greyhound. Yes, apparently, you guys in driving up through Wisconsin are going virtually right past my house, but I want to capture the start and finish of this vast undertaking.

Anyhow, just figured I'd pop in and say hi. Departure is THREE WEEKS away, folks. Excitement is in the air! It is TANGIBLE.

-Tim Hansen (filmmaker)

Tim, glad you found the board. i see your rapid response, i just dug this thread up after it dropped off the page. i take it yopu have been lurking?

i can conjure up some scrap metal or electrical conduit and weld up some sort of contraption. i dont know of any tripod mounts, but my digital still pics has a thread for one, maybe i can find a bolt that fits and make mounting studs? what are the tread demensions of the camera mounts? i think a hood mount would be best, at least we can watch the camera and catch it before it falls off :D

i like the idea of you coming over here first, we can pack and load up accordingly then, and get some film of the local scene, and the office environment

if you need directions or phone numbers, check this.

http://www.warpthree.com/milesfox/subaru/subaruframe.htm

yeah, thats the swap meet plan, but its the same place i am at, and all of my crew here at work

i dont know of any video cameras off hand, i know the boss has one, but i dont know if he can loan it out. maybe his church has one we can use?

try posting in the marketplace forum, someone here on the board may sell one, or borrow one, you never know.....

1: both cars cig lighters work. i can also wire in auxilary 12 sockets in the car, in other locations too(or outside the car also)

2: we can install a CB radio in the car we leave in. trashwagon5 has a cb, but iwill have to bring an antenna with. i can get a phone card for emergency calls, or to call members who would like us to stop by on the way thru

3: if you come in on I-69, get off on the kendallville/waterloo exit, head easton us6 about 10 miles. us 20 and the toll road both cross 69. if you take the bus, there is a stop in FREMONT, IN, right off 69 and the toll road, at a PILOT truck stop. if you do that, we can pick you up

if you have any plans or tricks for navigating around chicago, lets hear it, i would like to stay off the TOLLROAD, but every road in chicago is a toll road "expect long delays" the sign says from fot wayne. that toll road is the 3rd most congested road, following los angeles and huston

CB radio. Awesome. Don't sweat the camera gear thing too much; that is, after all, my department. Anyhow, the threading should be the same as on your camera, it's a universal standard. I might also wind up investing in a "StickyPod" ( http://www.stickypod.com ), although the surface needs to be clean and smooth for the suction cups to stick (tested up to 110 mph!). If we have things correctly bolted and threaded though, no way will we lose a camera (I just don't really want to expose the GL1 to the elements).

I haven't really been "lurking" on here, per se, you just happened to post an update while I was registering a username.

As far as which vehicle; if possible, it would probably be more comfortable with four people, not to mention the aesthetic advantage, to take Trashwagon 6 over the RX. How dire is the TW6 situation presently? (I mean, at least with the wagon we can throw a rear seatback down and let rotating drivers nap in shifts...that, and I'd love a hood shot with that air filter scoop you built...)

Are there any supplies you guys need that I could round up?

well right now the wagon needs its engine computer wired up, and some starter mounting issues need to be solved, plus i will be trusting a home made bellhousing adapter for 5000 miles

the RX has the same internal dimensions as the wagon, split rear folding seat. the only difference is the slope of the rear hatch takes some headroom in the wayback, butit still has the same sq. ft of floor in back, my 6'2" tall can lay back there and stretch out

we may go as far as mounting a roof rack, we would have to pull theheadliner, but a roof rack would stow all the take up room stuff on top

we want to pack minimal, for room, just clothes and stuff, we can tie down on top, and have cameras in the back. once we get there, we can divide up the cargo

as far as supplies, just bring emergency type stuff, a credit card would be good for EMERGENCY situations, but only if we cant pull thru with our own devices. a laptop wpuld be good for text documenting, and digital sstill pics, if you have one. but dont stress the laptop

maybe a STRONG MAGNETIC mount would be good for the camera? how big is the camera, we can be creative with the mounting in the car

rxstorage.jpg