Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 cam

well if you are willing to pay the shipping there is a company called Delta Camshaft in Tacoma, Washington, they make any kind of cam you want, custom to the specs your and them decide on. here is the phone # (253) 572-2474 , give them a call, it should be worth your time.

Hey Shawn the EFI would go the way of the doedoe. A weber would be in its place. I know that EFI is supposed to be more efficient but I am something of a dinosaur,I like OHV and carbs.

As far as the midwest meet goes I would very much like to take the Brat across the state into Iowa and meet some of the fine folks on this board.Time off of work is the only limiting factor right now but I'm working on that.

Why must we push our own opinions onto others. Why not ask why instead of busting his balls? Why didn't people have the same response to Brian when he stated he was going to "carve up" a turbo wagon?

He isn't carving the Brat, only the motor. I have owned EA81 Turbo's and they aren't power houses but stronger than n/a EA81's. These aren't big $$ collectibles and if he does do it, it will only make the remaining ones a little more valuable.

Let's cut people some slack.

Thanks for the input on cams. As far as going the carb route I have one reason, the condition of the body isn't the greatest. Its fairly straight but the cancer is a coming. one rear wheel lip has a fair amount the rockers are rusting and the wheel wells are all but gone in the bed. I think it would cost me more to repair all of these problem areas correctly than it would be worth so I was thinking that I would do some fun upgrades build an N/A EA81 with a good cam and carb use my turbo heads up the compression to 9.5 to 1 and go with a 4 or 5 speed. If it really means that much to you guys make an offer and if its resonable you got yourself a Turbo Brat.

USMB for life

If its anything like the EA82T, the heads don't lend themselves very well to a cab/spfi intake.. plus, the compression on the turbo motor is lower than that of an N/A motor.. you would need intake, heads, pistons.. pretty much everything except a new block in order to change it to a carb with decent compression. Good luck, sounds like you have a fun project ahead.

I do not want to discourage this project, but every thing Caleb says is true.

Just a left field idea, the EA81 N/A engines are fairly cheap.

Why not get one, do what you want to it (heads, cams, manifold, ect.)

Then swap it out for the turbo unit.

You gain a very nice bargaining tool plus if you do ever decide to sell the Brat,

you have the semi rare original EA81T

NOT a discouragement only a suggestion.

Thanks again for all the info. Sounds like I would be better off starting from scratch with a N/A EA81. I like the idea of having time to put things together slowly and accurately,plus I wouldn't lose my daily driver. Anyone out there going to the midwest meet have an EA81 for sale. I have attempted to deal with the salvage yards around here but they are all on crack($400.00 for a 4 speed d/r tranny) Anyone out there ever had any extrude honing done on intakes?

USMB for life