Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Waterwagon 3 Build-up, and the SJR+EJ Lift Thread!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
125 replies to this topic

#26 Turbone

Turbone

The Original Rob

• 12,087 posts
  • WA

Posted 24 March 2010 - 02:10 PM

That ^^^ is a cool picture :headbang:

#27 Breeke

Breeke

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 296 posts
  • Onalaska, WA

Posted 24 March 2010 - 02:55 PM

That ^^^ is a cool picture :headbang:

Very Cool, There is alot of stuff going on in that pics. :banana::banana:

#28 Ratty2Austin

Ratty2Austin

have tools, will fix

• Members
  • 2,385 posts
  • West Coast USA

Posted 25 March 2010 - 12:36 AM

Ok, so Today I was unable to finish installing the lift kit, but I made some progress...

Here is the kit, lined up and ready for primer and paint....

Posted Image

Got some cheap red paint, nice and bright..

Posted Image

I got the rear blocks installed, along with the rear x-member, and the forward suspension links and diff support bar... the blocks don't look big, but it certainly drops the whole assembly down a bunch!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Tomorrow, hopefully I can get the front end bits installed... or at least the rear hubs and stuff so I can see how far off the ground this thing is going to sit!

#29 NoahDL88

NoahDL88

Elite Master of Cookies

• Members
  • 4,264 posts
  • Bremerton, WA, USA

Posted 25 March 2010 - 12:51 AM

The red must have been cheap, if you chose it over Pink. :lol:

#30 Breeke

Breeke

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 296 posts
  • Onalaska, WA

Posted 25 March 2010 - 12:31 PM

The red must have been cheap, if you chose it over Pink. :lol:

Ohhhh snap!!! LOL

Looking cool man, this is gonna be neat. Hurry up already, I wanna see this. lifted. :lol::grin:

#31 monstaru

monstaru

wow, relevance....

• Members
  • 4,342 posts
  • OlyWa

Posted 26 March 2010 - 01:06 AM

i can't wait to see this.i love this body style....:)cheers, brain

#32 Yo'J

Yo'J

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 833 posts
  • seattle

Posted 26 March 2010 - 11:42 AM

I got pink undies on my brat! But shes riding stock.:grin:
Still got to do the mustache bar!:)

#33 Ratty2Austin

Ratty2Austin

have tools, will fix

• Members
  • 2,385 posts
  • West Coast USA

Posted 27 March 2010 - 01:36 AM

Today I got the rest of the lift blocks installed! (and swapped out the clean/non rusty x-member in the front...

Posted Image

Trans spacers installed...
Posted Image

and of course, the front strut blocks :)

Posted Image

The current hold up, is that I need the leading link body mount from an outback, (for the rear suspension) as it is about an inch "taller" than the stock brighton mount- which lowers the leading link's front edge down an inch... without this part, I have a bit too much space between the hub and the link- :(

Posted Image

Anyone have a couple outback leading link mounts available? (or know if any of the local boneyards have outbacks ?

#34 Scott in Bellingham

Scott in Bellingham

Lets go wheelin!!

• Members
  • 3,553 posts
  • Bellingham

Posted 27 March 2010 - 10:05 AM

Today I got the rest of the lift blocks installed! (and swapped out the clean/non rusty x-member in the front...

The current hold up, is that I need the leading link body mount from an outback, (for the rear suspension) as it is about an inch "taller" than the stock brighton mount- which lowers the leading link's front edge down an inch... without this part, I have a bit too much space between the hub and the link- :(

Posted Image

Anyone have a couple outback leading link mounts available? (or know if any of the local boneyards have outbacks ?

today I am making you new leading link blocks as per our conversation 1" back farther , do you also want them down 1" also? give me a call

#35 Ratty2Austin

Ratty2Austin

have tools, will fix

• Members
  • 2,385 posts
  • West Coast USA

Posted 28 March 2010 - 12:01 AM

today I am making you new leading link blocks as per our conversation 1" back farther , do you also want them down 1" also? give me a call

Sounds good! I think Noah and I are going to take a nice motorcycle ride up there tomorrow, to pick up the new blocks... That way I can ge the rest of the parts installed this week!

Although before I start drivin around on the swampers, I need to do some BFH adjustments and also get the d/r tranny installed (mismatched tread depth issue)

#36 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 8,584 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 28 March 2010 - 04:13 PM

Although before I start drivin around on the swampers, I need to do some BFH adjustments and also get the d/r tranny installed (mismatched tread depth issue)

Nice ride.

Curious why not block down the trailing arm mount like the front subframe? then the trailing arms should reach fine?

Also, you do know you will need a lengthened front section of the driveline to run the D/R? They are about two inches shorter than the AWD boxes.

#37 Ratty2Austin

Ratty2Austin

have tools, will fix

• Members
  • 2,385 posts
  • West Coast USA

Posted 29 March 2010 - 11:53 AM

Nice ride.

Curious why not block down the trailing arm mount like the front subframe? then the trailing arms should reach fine?

Also, you do know you will need a lengthened front section of the driveline to run the D/R? They are about two inches shorter than the AWD boxes.

Actually, The trailing arm was dropped down- but only the same height as the rest of the kit- the problem is, I am using outback struts, which add another 1.5" to the struts, and I also added a 1/2" to the strut blocks in the rear for more weight carrying (to level the car out with a load) and so that pushed the rear hub even lower- thus I needed to reposition the forward link's mount... I have the new blocks now from Scott, I will post pics with an update as soon as they are in.

And yes, I am familar with the length change on the driveshaft- the D/R swap will be a later thing, as I am still collecting parts for that, and I wanted to get the lift out of the way first... I am planning on having a one-piece driveshaft made for the D/R swap- less moving joints (less failure points)

#38 Ratty2Austin

Ratty2Austin

have tools, will fix

• Members
  • 2,385 posts
  • West Coast USA

Posted 31 March 2010 - 01:06 AM

Hurray!!! Thanks Scott, I got the new re-drilled rear blocks in, and the 1" back holes work great! they bolted up with no stress... (I guess that means the wheels will be pushed slightly back when the suspension compresses...

Posted Image

I got more of the rear suspension assembled, but not quite complete yet...

Posted Image

I did get the front end almost complete- (minus the lengthened steering shaft) and I bolted the wheels on, and woah! even with the car on the jackstands, the small tires were touching the ground already!!

Posted Image

Posted Image

This is going to be nuts with the superswampers!!! :eek: :banana:

#39 Scott in Bellingham

Scott in Bellingham

Lets go wheelin!!

• Members
  • 3,553 posts
  • Bellingham

Posted 31 March 2010 - 07:51 AM

Good! lets see that thing on the ground Today

#40 SoobieDoo

SoobieDoo

GL's...the luxury wheeler

• Members
  • 838 posts
  • ZigZag

Posted 31 March 2010 - 09:30 AM

HAHAHAHA...love the tiny tire pics!
Lookin very good :headbang:

#41 Ratty2Austin

Ratty2Austin

have tools, will fix

• Members
  • 2,385 posts
  • West Coast USA

Posted 01 April 2010 - 11:11 AM

Woohoo! it's on the ground!!!

I got all the rest of the suspension bolted up now, and the wheels back on!

Here is the rear stuff, almost done.... (still had to swap parking brake cables, and reattach the driveshaft)
Posted Image

I put the small tires on first, since there was not enough room between the ground and the newly lowered suspension for the swampers... and here it is, with the regular "L" size tires...
Posted Image

and after that, I put it up on higher jack stands, and finished up a few more pieces- like bleeding brakes, etc... and then installed the swampers!!!

Here it is!!!

Posted Image

and Scott, the re-drilled blocks work wonderfully!! here is the car with a slight load in the rear (tools) and the suspension at rest, the 27x9x14 swampers don't rub on the struts, or the fender wells in the rear!!! NO TRIMMING!!! :banana:

Posted Image

However, the front might require a slight adjustment of the mud-guards, depending on how much the tires rub.... but I still need to install a steering shaft so i can find that out ;)

Posted Image

:banana:

#42 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 8,584 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 01 April 2010 - 11:24 AM

and Scott, the re-drilled blocks work wonderfully!! here is the car with a slight load in the rear (tools) and the suspension at rest, the 27x9x14 swampers don't rub on the struts, or the fender wells in the rear!!! NO TRIMMING!!! :banana:

Posted Image

The first time you are offroad and the wheel stuffs into the well, you will be rubbing hard at the rear of the wheel.

But I guess it looks better on the highway. Hopefully it isn't too far toed out from moving the trailing arm back but not the crossmember.

Edited by Gloyale, 01 April 2010 - 11:26 AM.

#43 Ratty2Austin

Ratty2Austin

have tools, will fix

• Members
  • 2,385 posts
  • West Coast USA

Posted 01 April 2010 - 12:01 PM

The first time you are offroad and the wheel stuffs into the well, you will be rubbing hard at the rear of the wheel.

But I guess it looks better on the highway. Hopefully it isn't too far toed out from moving the trailing arm back but not the crossmember.

True, but think of it this way- Trimming the plastic bumper, or the rear of the fender section of the quarter panel, is not quite as difficult or vital as it would be than trimming the front little section of quarter panel, or as seen on some lifted subarus- cutting right into the rear door!

I would rather trim a little off the bumper, than cut into my doors ;)

it should work out pretty awesome anyway!

#44 bigo1966

bigo1966

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 463 posts
  • Lafayette, Colorado

Posted 01 April 2010 - 01:10 PM

How much wider are the rear axles on this car compared to EA82 rear axles?

#45 Subarutex

Subarutex

Oldschool Show Queen

• 2,526 posts
  • Mountlake Terrace

Posted 01 April 2010 - 02:12 PM

Sickness!

I'm serious about zebra striping this or camoing it.

I can grab some vinyl, and we can go to town. Buy me Wendy's or something, we'll make it happen. Maybe have Noah over for a partay.

:banana:

#46 SoobieDoo

SoobieDoo

GL's...the luxury wheeler

• Members
  • 838 posts
  • ZigZag

Posted 01 April 2010 - 02:55 PM

Lookin' niiiiiiice, Austin!
You will prob have to trim up the front at least, but that's to be expected.

#47 NoahDL88

NoahDL88

Elite Master of Cookies

• Members
  • 4,264 posts
  • Bremerton, WA, USA

Posted 01 April 2010 - 08:19 PM

Everybody bug Austin to get pics up, I was there for the maiden voyage :banana:

#48 TheSubaruJunkie

TheSubaruJunkie

Subaru Sober since 2010 :(

• Members
  • 1,910 posts
  • Sacramento

Posted 01 April 2010 - 09:31 PM

Knowing Austin, it wont take much bugging.

I vote for Zebra stripes!!

#49 RAugur33

RAugur33

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 282 posts
  • Portland

Posted 01 April 2010 - 10:45 PM

PINK zebra stripes

#50 Yo'J

Yo'J

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 833 posts
  • seattle

Posted 01 April 2010 - 11:21 PM

Think dark, dark grey or close to black crackle paint with a hot pink underlay!:eek:

I really wish I could do a crackle paint on metal to weather. On wood, I have a hard time getting it to wear in the house without sprayed lacquer and i don't have a booth for that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users