Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My '92 Loyale: Safariwagon

TheLoyale

Nice work mate!

The Safari wagon is certainly growing up!  Did the snorkel attract some attention at the Subi meet - it certainly stands out!  Best CAI you can get I reckon!

So are you going with 29s or 31s?  That's pretty bloody big for a subi!  And I can only imagine your fuel "economy".

That wheel arch replacement panel is insane - i didn't know you could get that stuff still!  If I had a welder I could make Ruby Scoo into a new beast "straight off the showroom floor"!  

How's your body going for fatigue?  I found that with the offroading I was doing you could hear the interior panel's mounting points creaking as you got pressure on each diagonal wheels.  Since the body stitch welding I've eliminated that completely.  Next build I'll be trying out doing this only with the window seams and the door jam seams where it can be hidden from our authorities - we're seriously restricted with what we're actually allowed to do over here :( Ruby Scoo is illegitimate as it is  :mad:

Cheers

Bennie

• Like 1

Probably go with 29s. I measured my Bighorns (Which are at half life) and they came out to 25" so I think 29s (235s) will be able to fit without any more cutting, especially since the wheels I bought have 4.50" for backspacing, I've heard running wheels with less backspace will increase clearance issues, plus I don't want the car to look like its on a dolly haha.

As for creaking, mine is pretty quiet inside, and should be even more quiet with all the sound deadening I'm adding. I also haven't done a lot of offroading with this rig yet, little bit hear and there, but nothing serious. I did take the Landcruiser on a serious offroad trip a few weeks ago, did really well with open diffs, 33x10.5" tires and locked T-case. At some point that truck is getting 35x12.5" with Factory E-locking diffs, then it will be unstoppable with 3x locked!

I agree with welding up seams, I did that on the Skiwagon and plan to do that on this too. I scrapped most of that rubber seam sealer out and weld them closed.

Yeah the Snorkel did get some attention, no one else had a Snorkel. One guy has a PVC snorkel on his Legacy GT, but you can't beat a Factory fit snorkel :P

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Now if only someone made new stampings for EA81s. I dunno what I'm going to do about the Coupe yet. I am trying to secure a fuel tank from a Brat thats in OR. Hoping I can snag this. Although, I remember how last time went with shipping a fuel tank from the West-coast went lol.

I'm kinda getting tired of old rusted Subies, relying on people in the rust free areas to send me goodies haha. Ugh, addictions.

sorry i took so long. I keep tellin ya to move out here to the promised land....

Edited by Subruise

Lol. I wasn't putting the blame on you. It was more of trying to get that Wes dude who was parting out that GL to work with me and hold the Rockers and Tank till someone could pick them up, that was the biggest headache of it all.

Now it seems that no matter how much money I offer people, they just don't want to ship. Everyone wants local pickup. I offered a dude $250+ shipping for a set of rear discs and I never got word back. Like really? I offered dude $100+ shipping for a $20 fuel tank but it was sold for $20 for a local pickup.

Make any sense?  :rolleyes:

@TheLoyale

It makes NO sense. I am on the west coast, we still have some EA stuff out here but it is getting scarce. If you can wait I'll go down to a P-N-P and saw out some nice rust free rockers and send them out to you from work via Saia Motor Freight or some other carrier. Please co-ordinate with me via PM if you need help out here. I don't really do this for the money so I am a little slow. Most of the gas tanks have holes punched in them :(.

Happy Holidays

-Jeff

Edited by Crazyeights
  • Like 1

Its really no problem. I'm not asking anyone to go out and start sending me all kinds a stuff. I was just making a point of what I have been experiencing as of late. Although, most of the people I tried getting parts from where folks I've never heard of and basically just joined the board not long after posting their sale thread. I still have major respect to everyone who has helped me get to this point, and I still remember who has done what lol. Some of these "New" members are kinda shady.

No worries on the fuel tank, I figured you would have just sold it to a local person which is what I have gotten used to. Either way, I'm in no hurry, I'm not gonna pressure people and such Hahaha. No body has gotten burned, so we're all good! :D 

Jeff:

If you do happen to know of some rust free rockers for something 2 door (Brat/Coupe/Hatch) that would be awesome. The coupe has so much rust it really isn't funny. It is worse than the Skiwagon (I know!) Anyway, I will compensate you the best I can. I try to do whatever I can for folks who have helped me :)

As for the Fuel tank, no biggie. Whenever you get around to getting it boxed up is fine with me. I will have $100+ waiting for you.

Anyway, the Coupe is on ice (Literally) this spring/summer, I must get this wagon finished up 100% at least Welding wise. I need to get the interior back in and have the car buttoned up. Once this is done, I will need to source 4 nice doors, two rear with nice glass and two front (Glass doesn't matter, I can swap mine in) I also need to get a new rear gate when possible. Then I can paint the car.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Figured I should update the thread with some good news! Thanks to Turbosubarubrat I will be getting rust free doors and hatch gate for the wagon, along with the rear quarter/roll pan/crash box so I can cut out what I need to rebuild what has rotted away on mine. I wanna give him a big thanks for going these many extra miles to help out my build!

Photos of the parts car which all this came from. '88 DL with SPFI.

10433092_569644023170740_634183263753097306_n.jpg

10888415_569644126504063_4912022406914935540_n.jpg

10885420_569644079837401_8612995681441276410_n.jpg

All the parts loaded up and ready to find its way to Wisconsin! Including the Fuel tank for the Coupe!

10488022_572965739505235_3526145446232473846_n.jpg

Rear crash box area.

10413426_572965409505268_7007640303152425998_n.jpg

10915314_572965339505275_5348389800628617363_n.jpg

10897884_572965786171897_1683170162802383232_n.jpg

2015 should be the year of the Safariwagon, With all these parts I should be able to get all the rust gone, and never again will this car go out in the Salt.

I still need to decide on a color to paint it. The Door jams will all be matt black Truck bed liner just to make it simple. I'm thinking the Rocker skin will also be matt black along with the new Wheels. Now I have to decide if the car is gonna stay some type of dark red or should I go with a more Savanna schemed color? 

• Like 1

Is the SPFI inlet manifold up for grabs?  I wouldn't mind one to complete a mate's SPFI system which is just missing the manifold.

And that's a fair effort!  An even bigger effort will be to fit that rear tub section onto the wagon!  I'll be watching.

Cheers

Bennie

• Like 1

Yeah, its alot of money for what I'd use it for. I'm not gonna drill out all the spot welds and peel away layers for the entire rear side of the car lol. I personally don't even know what I'm going to do with the Coupe. I dunno if I have another restoration in me, I probably should have just bought another '95 Legacy beater :P