Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Retro GL-10 TURBO build

Nico

Dang, that license plate just ruins the front end.  Think you could get away without running it?  I am sure you have laws but?

Ya it sucks I agree but I have to put it somewhere up front or else stupid tickets from the law

create an exact stencil of your license plate and paint it on the intercooler lol. badabing, badaboom.

Lol lol.... that's a good idea but it would never pass up here in Canada..

How much did it cost to build this car? 

Appraisal wise 50 Gs ... So like a new STi price but with a spare built motor for back up.. 300lbs lighter then a stripped out STi with me and full tank of gas.

Once I start getting crazy lol next year all seats and weight saving will be at 2350lbs.

I hate this thread.. Makes me sad that I'll likely never see this kind of build for my loyale wagon :-(

That said.. Badass car man!

Thanks man :)

And crickets...........................

One must not ask such things.........................., simply bask in the glory.

Lol I been busy slacking.

Nice Work! Sweet build! I was wondering how that brz radiator install went. I ordered one after reading about yours and was just seeing how you installed it. Cheers and keep up the good work.

I tried to put it in but didn't finish it yet.. I cut the pegs of the top and the front brackets nipples with threads and squeezed it in place.

Make sure you off set it a little closer the the drivers side because there is the head light bolt will touch.. Take your time when putting it in.

The lower port needs shorting and if need be angled down a bit..

I'm cutting the bottom of rad frame next year when I pull the motor out again...

Sorry guys I been busy but I'm heading to Virginia again to see my friend Franz @ Dieboldautosport for the rest of my work done on the car ill be down there for a couple days..

Intercooler pipes

Aim dash

A/c fixing

And the tune for the power !!

• 2 weeks later...

you really gotta get us some raw footage of this thing on the road

I got a quick clip pull on the hwy just need to figure how to up load it..

I would like to thank Franz and his familia for all the hospitality while I was down in the USA !... I had a blast down there and all most didn't want to come home.

here we have Franz's amazing hand crafted one of a kind Leone intercooler piping that fits perfect and does a fantastic job keep the temps down and power up !

9586843211_716b1164fe_b.jpg

my new dash wired up by Franz, this time I can see and keep a eye on everything just in case something is not right.

9589640076_806eb2b5a7_b.jpg

Franz's Dyno Dynamics tuning tool.... that fan in the back with the red EVO rally bumper on it !!! that thing will suck you in and spit you out the other side if you get to close !..

9586847215_64cb980b1f_b.jpg

all sensors hooked up ready to rock and roll the proper way !....

9586846137_21b6fbfc72_b.jpg

so much eye candy OVER LOAD !

Franz's babys sided by side.... the EVO is just crazy !... its like a full blown race car and has EVERYTHING ! no joke !.. me I like the 86 Golf because I'm from the old school lol.

9587013407_0a7c267759_b.jpg

looks amazing under this Golf's hood !

9587022355_619a244b4c_b.jpg

this car was on the dyno getting all dialed in by Franz... this Porsche has a full blown carbon fiber wide body kit twin turbos and is packing 500hp and 2000lbs.... its freaking fast

9587015759_57011cfb73_b.jpg

and some other car's he's working on around the shop...

9589818564_f77ebae4f9_b.jpg

9589811988_00992aa0d3_b.jpg

9587018059_bc0d478b8f_b.jpg

• Like 1

Wow, that Hawkeye and GR WRX look like they mean some business!!!

Guy knows what he is doing...

o ya he dont F around 

this is what the dash looks like with night vision on 

9599728401_4b4ca49f46_b.jpg

so this is my new power level with working oil pump and front mount intercooler set up and the big s300sx FMW turbo on. so 21psi is safe for me, franz could have pumped more boost out but i need to get home to canada again just in case.

old plot with new plot dyno dynamics both on american 93 gas ( Canadian 94 gas will gain a bit more) next will try race gas which will bring the power way up and over the top because I have lots of room to play with... as of now its just insane to keep it all under control while I am on it, so baby steps on my part while driving and my a/c blows nice and cold to keep me calm lol.

9602963498_300e212fe6_b.jpg

so things I need to do are:

maybe bigger rad (brz koyo)
oil cooler
lots of braces, one for the diff and a H brace up front with strut brace.
  • Like 1

342 hp at the wheels? :slobber: That Suby has got to scoot! :o

o ya its pretty intense with this small car 

it's wonderfull!!! is it real speed(116 mph) on 3000rpm?

lol no canada KMh ... USA MPH

^^ Would it be in km/h since hes from canada ?

yes 

I went to the track to try my luck and see if it all holds together this past week, after doing one pass on the q-mile and getting kicked off for no helmet ! I managed to pull a 12.6 out.

I know I know my times suck out the box ! I dont want to snap my axles or leave my Diff on the floor ! so I took off bogging in first and not revving out 2nd or 3rd gear becuase the car likes to lay rubber in the rear tires.

I am on the left Porsche 977 twin turbo on right... high boost button used 
9678353560_4f6d17e621_b.jpg

so after getting kicked off i went lapping to see how well the car handles ! scary move lol.... my brakes are to small or weak so maybe better pads, and the car feels like it needs some wider tires and bracing to help keep it more stable.
Low Boost On was used for lapping its to scary with high lol

as of now its fun to play with till i fix things out 

9675106365_55ac856e2e_b.jpg

9678338122_27906e5fcd_b.jpg
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
well the season is done for me and I got out on the track a couple times more for fun to test out my new brake pad's, the pad's helped out a bit more but still need more work.

PFC 01 compound group N pad's work well very well, lots of dust but rather stop then not.

10320574954_d7d59b72d5_b.jpg

S203 S204 Spec-c Ra R oil cooler adapter factory from subaru oem has come in. built in thermostat opens at 100 C and OEM Made In Japan By STi no other adapter is better !

10320570406_eeef0ba277_b.jpg

my spare earls cooler should do the job, got rid of A/C for this set up :( lol

10320570824_33f06f0f19_b.jpg

I put the 86 Subaru Leone away for the season but next year to do lit will be fun.

wider sticky tires + smaller wheels 15"

Race gas tune 500hp DD it

better suspension stiffer springs

STi oil cooler

BRZ koyo rad install

bigger CV axles

i also was going to swap out my STi Spec-c 6mt 3.900 to my S204 STi 6mt 3.545, but its now in my winter beater (99 Nico). i think my winter beater will be more in need of longer gearing next spring when i do the motor swap.

Edited by Nico

well great... now i have to wait around for the progress on 2 awesome build threads....

sooo epic.... the h6 thats going in that rs.. would it perhaps be getting a remote mount turbo?...

Lol the impreza is just a dd no turbos at all unless

I can't find a complete h6 smashed to use then I'll toss in a Jdm set up on a ej22t block.

well cooler bits arrived now got to figure out should i tap for threads or use hose and clamps system.

STi JDM Spec-C, RA-R, S204, S203, oil cooler adapter

10494455604_cbc70eba87_b.jpg

10494632893_e94262b84b_b.jpg

10494636043_cfb07c4f7b_b.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

a special treat the front OEM Subaru front skirt for my car brand new ! slice the wind !

7496962740_038ddeb680_b.jpg

7496969218_c2ecd841b9_b.jpg

Where did you find this skirt?? im going to start a similar build on my brat soon and would love to find this

EDIT:i saw your build on annother forum first, where i didnt see a mention of the 1 in a million ebay find.
Edited by zmarrott
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! Just read it through, really nice looking and lots of nice parts used. Thumbs up.

thank you 

very excited about this radiator ! its a brand spanking new OEM Subaru 1988 Subaru XT6 2.7L H6 Radiator, its 2 core and also has the proper port size for inlet also outlet as a new EJ motors use.

it's also a perfect match to my EA82T turbo radiator, same size same width same cap location same mount points and also XT6 rad hoses to complete the job.

I wish I new all this from the start of the build, but it sure is going to be sweet next summer on the race track to do more laps in the heat, also the spal fans will bolt up in the same position as the gl-10 turbo mt rad. with the bigger radiator and my oil cooler this should complement the motor very well now. 

11075593846_2cee8388f2_b.jpg

11075595866_e80d12249f_b.jpg

11075506185_39c526f20c_b.jpg

and my new trunk seal which took a long time maybe it was made for me in japan but it came in also oem subaru for that perfect fit, i had a small rip in mine that i didnt like.

11075673443_b4f827fc5a_b.jpg

• 1 month later...

I been slacking on my updates, but most my parts are in for the spare EJ22T motor. i decide to get all new case bolts washers caps pretty much everything lol.

11710062075_c2e102b0b9_b.jpg

also got a new weather stripping for the hood, the original one had a small tear in it.

11710121185_c1d2e75a67_b.jpg

also picked up the original stickers for my rear doors, i have turbo on the door from factory but my car was a FWD not AWD... so i have to give it the subaru justice of the AWD.

11710360503_e4f9ae2a74_b.jpg

Awesome work Nico!

I just posted in an old thread about this build - super old actually!

I'm keen to know more about this XT6 radiator as it looks like it might be what I'm after for my EJ22'd L series that's in need of a new radiator.  The only problem is that I'm looking on fleabay as we don't get the XT6 in oz.

What I really would like to know is the angle of the lower rad outlet and the thickness of the radiator at the cores - space is always an issue between the rad and the front of the EJ as you'd know ;)

Keep up the good work!

Regards

Bennie

Awesome work Nico!

I just posted in an old thread about this build - super old actually!

I'm keen to know more about this XT6 radiator as it looks like it might be what I'm after for my EJ22'd L series that's in need of a new radiator.  The only problem is that I'm looking on fleabay as we don't get the XT6 in oz.

What I really would like to know is the angle of the lower rad outlet and the thickness of the radiator at the cores - space is always an issue between the rad and the front of the EJ as you'd know ;)

Keep up the good work!

Regards

Bennie

you guys call the subaru XT6 a Subaru Vortex... look for the h6 version vortex thats the rad ill be using...

the XT6 rad is the same size as a ea82t the end tanks are the same size but with the bigger ports... the xt6 is a dual core not single core.

it looks like ill un bolt the top and bottom mount from the ea82t rad and do the same for the xt6 rad and swap them out so it mounts the same spot.

Are you able to get a good picture or scan of the 4WD Turbo stickers?

They aren't available any more in Germany, maybe someone here can plot new ones out of the original.

i can order more in canada if you want me to order and ship you them... i dont know how many more there is left but we can try 

droooooolllll!!!!!!!! this looks like alot if time and money... envey is rampant in my blood right now

thank you.... its a project / hobby I guess

and here we have 2 EJ22T blocks out of 9 cleaned and ready for the shelf for when the time comes, lets hope no more broken motors for 2014 season..

11744459335_6aa991d41b_b.jpg

you guys call the subaru XT6 a Subaru Vortex... look for the h6 version vortex thats the rad ill be using...

the XT6 rad is the same size as a ea82t the end tanks are the same size but with the bigger ports... the xt6 is a dual core not single core.

Thanks mate.  Yeah I know the XT6 is the Vortex, we only got the XT4 version.  Any XT6's in Oz are known as a grey import or a personal import - not factory delivered here.

Does the inlet and outlet port angles become an issue with fitment or are they not like the stock L series lower radiator angle?  I'm hoping they're both only gently angled up at the most like what I can see in your pic above of the upper inlet pipe.  And it turns out there's one in stock in Oz - surprising what you can find if you ask!

Last question - have you fitted this radiator yet?  Keen to know what sort of clearances you have between the engine and the radiator you have ;)

That's insane building two engines!  Clearly you're passionate about this build - or you're keeping "Bloody Murphy" and his law away!  With that spare engine built on the shelf waiting to go you'll not have an issue with the one you're running!

Regards

Bennie