Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Speed Bleeders for old Subarus? (part numbers and pics added!)

Here the dillyo :)

Ill just make this long story short. Finally got my hands on some Speed Bleeders. Motormite #12706 are a direct bolt in for the front calipers. Nobody has anything listed for the rear drums. The selections are very limited so I eye balled the best I could. NONE of them were even close really. The rear drum bleeders are VERY long compared to most other bleeders I saw. I ended up just grabing a set of Motormite #12704.

I made some custom bleeders for the rear :) I linked up some photos of my custom bleeders. THe first is the speed bleeder. Basicly its just an 1/8" ID hose, 2 clamps and one #12704 at one end. THe other end slips onto your drum bleeder and you clamp it down tight. Simply crack the drum bleeder loose a 1/2 turn and bleed away!

http://www.mnchopshop.org/images/usmb/brake_bleeders_006.jpg

http://www.mnchopshop.org/images/usmb/brake_bleeders_003.jpg

The other bleeders there with the long hoses. Those are for 'bench' bleeding your master cylinder. Unhook the 2 lines from the right side of the master cylinder. Screw in these duders, put the ends of the hoses into your master cylinder and slowly pump your brake pedal. They are made from 2 fittings and hardlines I had left over and some 3/16" ruber hose.

http://www.mnchopshop.org/images/usmb/brake_bleeders_019.jpg

Hope this hleps someone else :)

Final Update on the Speed Bleeders. Here is how the rear ones are attached. Clamped onto the stock bleeders. They have held on for a long time now through lots of mud and big rocks.

brake_bleeders_07.jpg

Hopefully the keen of eye have noticed I even put the rubber cap from the stock bleeders onto the speed bleeders to prevent it from getting rusted shut. I may booty fab up some ghetto'tastic junk but its done right dag nabit! :drunk:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does this somehow prevent fluid going everywhere? Or is just so you have a "hose" to shoot the fluid into a bottle??

nope, it just makes it so you only have to have one person. it does the opening and closing of the valve for you, while you pump the pedal. You should still use a little hose from there to watch for bubbles.

click the link on Morgan's first post for pics and diagrams too.

I just put cardboard down on the floor and let it squirt on that; then disposed of the cardboard pieces.

If you bleed with the engine off they squirt about a foot out from the calipers. If you do it with the engine on (read: vacume break booster!) it shoots about 3-4 feet from the calipers.

• 3 months later...

i got a set for the front brakes on my wagon... however im beginning to think they dont fit correctly. no matter how tight i turn them, they still squirt fluid. is there a difference between the front brakes on a turbo car and a non-turbo? it looks like im going to have to order a set of regular bleeders from the deal just so i can get my brakes in order for this upcoming rallyx!

OMG, the little rubber hose with the speed bleeder is the best idea I've seen in months! I'm going to make one of those that I can just transfer between all the vehicles I work on. That is going to save me so much time.

Morgan, you are the MAN!

Glad you liked it :)

Never thought of moving it around; hell you could just buy one set for all your vehicles.

Tew brains r betar than 1 :drunk:

Never thought of moving it around; hell you could just buy one set for all your vehicles.

Am I missing something here? Wouldn't you only need one speedbleeder with hose attachment to go from caliper to caliper? Why leave it on the car when your out trail riding? It would be safer in your toolbox.

i got a set for the front brakes on my wagon... however im beginning to think they dont fit correctly. no matter how tight i turn them, they still squirt fluid. is there a difference between the front brakes on a turbo car and a non-turbo? it looks like im going to have to order a set of regular bleeders from the deal just so i can get my brakes in order for this upcoming rallyx!

I did the same thing... got a couple different sets that didn't work. I even got a set with the same part # as listed in this thread :/

I would advise anyone hoping to get speed bleeders that you take your current bleeder valve in with you and verify that they're the same size.

i ordered a pair of OEM bleeders from the dealership. i need to have this thing ready ASAP. after this rallyx ill check to see if there are other compatible bleeders. im hoping theres a nissan speed bleeder that will fit, and see if i cant find something for the rear disks too.

Am I missing something here? Wouldn't you only need one speedbleeder with hose attachment to go from caliper to caliper? Why leave it on the car when your out trail riding? It would be safer in your toolbox.

Safer from what? The stock bleeder is shut and holding the pressure. If it gets ripped off (which it never did) then it's not a big deal. They come in a pack of two so I put them both on the rear; then the other two I bought fit directly into the front calipers.

Yes, you could just have one custom universal speed bleeder and use it at all 4 corners. Note that they come in a pack of two. That's what I ment by having 'a set for all your vehicles'.

675-1570 DID NOT fit my turbo wagon. compared with the stock bleeder screws, theyre about 1mm too short. just enough so that they still squirt fluid when wrenched in the entire way.

It would appear they do nto support older Subarus well or didnt research them well. Maybe if you found some other make/model that uses the same caliper (or slave cylinder) you could crossreference and find a SB that works. I didnt research if it would fit turbo calipers as I didn't have any. Worst case you have to use the custom made hose + SB setup.

http://www.speedbleeder.com/automobile_applications.htm#Subaru

• 3 weeks later...
Safer from what? The stock bleeder is shut and holding the pressure. If it gets ripped off (which it never did) then it's not a big deal. They come in a pack of two so I put them both on the rear; then the other two I bought fit directly into the front calipers.

Yes, you could just have one custom universal speed bleeder and use it at all 4 corners. Note that they come in a pack of two. That's what I ment by having 'a set for all your vehicles'.

They are available in singles as well. I wanted to make sure that the procedure for bleeding brakes using speedbleeders was the same as using the oem nipples, i.e., one at a time. I could see the benefit of spending 28$ vs. 7$ if you could open them all and bleed all the lines at once. However, that is not the case.

double_pack_1

OK, guys maybe this is a dumb question, but what is a Speed Bleeder?? I know it has something to do with the brakes, but what is it exactly???

Thanks,

KNIGHT RIDER

It prob has a spring and a ball that acts as a one way valve. Push the brake and the fluid pushes against the spring and opens letting fluid out. Let go the brakes and the spring pushes the ball back so no air enters the line.

It prob has a spring and a ball that acts as a one way valve. Push the brake and the fluid pushes against the spring and opens letting fluid out. Let go the brakes and the spring pushes the ball back so no air enters the line.

Thanks, for the response. How is that supposed to be better???

THANKS,

KNIGHT RIDER

• 2 months later...
let me check when i get to work tomorrow (work for advance) i know they're a motormite part, but i think i can get them in another brand as well.. pretty sure i'd have to order them, but they can be had..

will post back tomorrow night :)

So, did you have any luck?

If you can find ones that will fit the rears, you'll be my new hero. :grin:

• 1 month later...
Anyone found bleeders for rear disc calipers yet? I'm about to install a set and having speedier bleeders would be awesome.

check post 26: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showpost.php?p=309281&postcount=26

That is on the rear, I have that wagon now, they're still on it, and this thing has the best brake feel of any subaru I've ever owned!

check post 26:...That is on the rear, I have that wagon now, they're still on it, and this thing has the best brake feel of any subaru I've ever owned!

Really not wanting to go down that path. I just want plug and play. Guess its time for some investigating of my own.

• 5 months later...
Here the dillyo :)

Ill just make this long story short. Finally got my hands on some Speed Bleeders. Motormite #12706 are a direct bolt in for the front calipers. Nobody has anything listed for the rear drums. The selections are very limited so I eye balled the best I could. NONE of them were even close really. The rear drum bleeders are VERY long compared to most other bleeders I saw. I ended up just grabing a set of Motormite #12704.

I made some custom bleeders for the rear :) I linked up some photos of my custom bleeders. THe first is the speed bleeder. Basicly its just an 1/8" ID hose, 2 clamps and one #12704 at one end. THe other end slips onto your drum bleeder and you clamp it down tight. Simply crack the drum bleeder loose a 1/2 turn and bleed away!

http://www.mnchopshop.org/images/usmb/brake_bleeders_006.jpg

http://www.mnchopshop.org/images/usmb/brake_bleeders_003.jpg

The other bleeders there with the long hoses. Those are for 'bench' bleeding your master cylinder. Unhook the 2 lines from the right side of the master cylinder. Screw in these duders, put the ends of the hoses into your master cylinder and slowly pump your brake pedal. They are made from 2 fittings and hardlines I had left over and some 3/16" ruber hose.

http://www.mnchopshop.org/images/usmb/brake_bleeders_019.jpg

Hope this hleps someone else :)

Any chance you could upload these pictures again, to a new host -- say, locally at USBM?