Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My black 89 RX

You mean like the passenger side doors that I have for an EA81 series sedan or wagon (still have the Subaru part number stickers inside the doors)? Considering that I don't have such a vehicle. So, are you going to help poor old Rob out with some of the parts he needs?

Rob, I've done a lot of "paint restoration" work as of late. WIth getting my wagon ready for the show a couple weeks back.

After cleaning with a mild DAWN soap wash, I would clay bar the car. Then wash again, with a car wash soap. I then would try something like Mequiars FIne Cut cleaner... if its really bad, maybe the Medium cut cleaner. Both of these have abrasive materials in them to break down the impurities in the paint. After the fine cut cleaner, I would use some good polish. And then finish with a good wax.

FOr all the products I personally reccomend Mequiars. However, everyone seems to have their own favorites.

The NXT line of products Maquiars has come out with is really outstanding. (Wax and Soap)

Corky, you havent seen my collection of parts. Altho I still own one EA81, it might not be for very long. And I saw Qman on Sun and parts were mentioned.

Tex, I know you said it was mild dish soap, but I was told by a paint shop that you never use dish soap on cars. Its actually pertoleum based (made to cut grease) and it will do the same to your car. I had a black 82 Coupe that I used dish soap on and it ruined the paint on it. I think I'll use Mequiers stuff, have in the past and its the best I've found.

Bratsrus1, If its still unclaimed I’d bet interested in the free 3-door, I need some parts for my RX. Is the rear good, I need tail lights?

I’m in Ellensburg and drive to Preston 4 days a week (just east of Issaquah) so if any of the Seattle guys need some parts from it (that I don’t need) I could get them pretty close.

Gary

Email: bigfoot_man@hotmail.com

P.S. Sorry for the highjack

Tex, I know you said it was mild dish soap, but I was told by a paint shop that you never use dish soap on cars. Its actually pertoleum based (made to cut grease) and it will do the same to your car. I had a black 82 Coupe that I used dish soap on and it ruined the paint on it. I think I'll use Mequiers stuff, have in the past and its the best I've found.

That is true! I was taught this analogy when I attended a Mequiars Car Detailing seminar.

"To get your skin the cleanest, you use a harsher soap. Afterwards, your skin is dry, and you need to use some lotion"

The Dawn is the harsh soap, the polish is the lotion. Don't ever use dawn when you don't intend to polish and then wax, it will ruin the paint in this manner.

So, i usually go by this method: Dawn soap only when i'm doing a intensive wash/polish/wax job. For the usual wash/wax I use Mequiars Gold Class shampoo.

Dawn = Polish ALWAYS!!!

Wow, someone from the Board finally works at the Gold Mine of the NW :slobber: Theres a few people here that know people that work there already, but its nice to know we have a direct link now. You arent planning on making $ on the side are you?

That would be good, maybe Sean could make my wallet last a little longer. 100$ for a mint Hatch door doesnt feel good, especially when I might be able to aquire a car for that price :brow:

Jason, you need to check the board more often :D I posted the Turbo Coupe for sale months ago. And even at the low price of $800, I get - Oh man, I wish I had the $, or something else. My Hatch sold pretty quick tho :( I still have the halfshafts, and with 2 EA82T cars, I'm sure I will need them sometime soon(?). I havent forgot ya :-p

I might be updating the price on the T'Coupe tho, if the current interested buyer doesnt come thru. I need $ for parts on the RX.

Oh, and I put my snowflakes on the car to see how they would look. The wheels need bigger tires for sure, these are 175's. If someone is willing to trade me the 5 snowflakes for 5 15" alloys, the RX would be pimping.

rxsnowflakes.jpg