Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

EA81 exhaust... so this happened...

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Knucklehead Saloon

Knucklehead Saloon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Singleton NSW Australia

Posted 07 December 2017 - 03:11 AM

Custom built to my design.

1.75" unequal length headers into a 2" system.

Sounds awesome and makes power !
Attached File  exhaust1.jpg   140.59K   54 downloads
Attached File  exhaust2.jpg   182.16K   57 downloads

#2 bratman2

bratman2

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 685 posts
  • Aurora

Posted 07 December 2017 - 08:08 AM

Nice looking header! You weld that up yourself?

#3 Knucklehead Saloon

Knucklehead Saloon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 12:55 PM

Nope. Unfortunately my welding skills are nowhere near as good as that. Found a small exhaust shop that builds custom stuff and gave them a picture I drew the week before.

I knew I was in the right place as soon as I walked into the shop. They had a wrx on the hoist and 3 harleys parked in there.

These guys:

Rutherford Muffler & Suspension & CV's

35 John St
Rutherford, NSW, 2320
Phone No:

#4 dfoyl

dfoyl

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 359 posts
  • Victoria, Australia

Posted 08 December 2017 - 01:30 AM

Uneven length headers don't make more power than equal length, they are less efficient.

#5 Knucklehead Saloon

Knucklehead Saloon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 04:38 AM

Unequal don't make more outright power true. However every dyno print I've seen says they drop 3 or 4hp up top and gain a fatter midrange TQ (where I do most of my driving).
Added bonus is they sound wayyyyy better.

#6 Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

The Mighty "BumbleBeast"

• Members
  • 7,515 posts
  • Roatán, Honduras.

Posted 08 December 2017 - 08:47 AM

... Added bonus is they sound wayyyyy better.

That's True. Share a video with us, so we can hear it  :) 

That is one of the Cleanest exhaust jobs I've seen.

Kind Regards.

#7 iceageg

iceageg

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 132 posts
  • Denver, CO

Posted 08 December 2017 - 09:16 AM

Unequal don't make more outright power true. However every dyno print I've seen says they drop 3 or 4hp up top and gain a fatter midrange TQ (where I do most of my driving).
Added bonus is they sound wayyyyy better.

Different benefits and drawbacks, usually decided by space constraints.  In a nutshell, would the extra routing and twists needed to fit equal length headers end up less efficient than unequal length for a specific application.  It's usually not an issue but there are still plenty of examples if you go looking for them.

Mercedes has done some unequal length headers in their cars in the past.  Talking outright power, their 2015 F1 cars had unequal length headers and dominated that season.  Mercedes also did some strange stuff with them way back in the day on airplane engines like having slightly different compression ratios on the left/right cylinder banks to account for the different exhaust efficiency on each side.  You can also find them on high end sport bikes like some years of the Aprillia RV series.  Of course you can't ignore the obvious example of how well they have worked on Subaru's for so many years.

Bottom line is companies with huge R&D staffs full of brilliant engineers have proven that unequal length headers can be a better and more efficient choice in certain applications.  Equal length certainly have more power potential but that is not always true when considered as part of an entire chassis design.  Besides, as you pointed out they always sound better on 4 cylinder engines and that counts for something too.  Glad to hear you are happy with your result.

#8 Knucklehead Saloon

Knucklehead Saloon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 12:31 PM

I'll try and shoot a vid in the next couple of days (its flogging rain here at the moment).

I reckon it sounds awesome, especially around 2000 rpm... gets this real fat throb to it..(no the exhaust not my pants haha).

#9 jono

jono

Reader and writer

• Members
  • 1,498 posts
  • Southern Hemisphere - AUS

Posted 09 December 2017 - 03:36 AM

I give you credit for chasing torque!

Who drives around on the HP max mark anyway?

Just look at the Aus Ford 4.0 litre I6 with flat torque line between 2000 and 4000 rpm was it?

#10 Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

The Mighty "BumbleBeast"

• Members
  • 7,515 posts
  • Roatán, Honduras.

Posted 09 December 2017 - 09:05 PM

Sorry for the offtopicness, but regarding this:

... Just look at the Aus Ford 4.0 litre I6 with flat torque line between 2000 and 4000 rpm was it?

Are you writing about the same in-line six cylinder Ford engine, that you have one, and also I have another one? ... If so, it is a 4.1 (250 cui) litre, not a 4.0 litre, and I didn't know, nor ever noticed that.

By the way, the one I have, came from factory with an unequal exhaust manifold, that fooled people, making them believe that it was a V8 somehow... sadly that unequal exhaust manifold is long gone, as it developed a Hole in front of the cylinder #1 which never got welded in a long lasting way, every welding only lasted around a week, so my dad changed it with a straight exhaust manifold from a 300, that makes the car to sound -and feel- way softer...

Kind Regards.

#11 jono

jono

Reader and writer

• Members
  • 1,498 posts
  • Southern Hemisphere - AUS

Posted 10 December 2017 - 12:27 AM

Sadly no longer have the beast. And reference is to the ohc 4.0 that started production about 1989 and just continued to evolve.

#12 Knucklehead Saloon

Knucklehead Saloon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:20 AM

Heres the vid !!

https://youtu.be/d84k-CNNzws

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users