Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Vintage owners roster? '71 through '81?

I figure we'd be a bit more organized if we 70's through '80 owners got ourselves a contact list now before the mid 80's folks turn vintage too.

Our cars are a breed all their own.Beyond the original series,yet pre-computer excepting the '80-81 Brats etc.

Anybody up for compiling the info?

I think if we linked the user name we can all have each others contact info,if filled out.Just add what vehicle(s) we own.

I'm borrowing a Mac laptop and have no idea how to cut and paste with this thing,sorry.

Maybe as a group we might also have some buying power for the last of what's out there for stock.But that's a distant dream right now.

Hi all.

New member here. I've read much but never posted.

Anyway, checking in with a 1979 Brat. Twas my first Subaru although I've been an old, foreign car junkie for all my driving career. Original body with only a couple little dime size rust spots on top of right front fender and one on door. Dare I say rust free except for those flaws. Paint on hood is sundamaged but good everywhere else and is original 'mocha' (I think) brown. Bought it about a year ago for $1100. Installed a low-mileage (supposedly between 10,000-50,000) Japanese import EA71 with hydraulic lifters (and they're quiet). Pulled the transaxle and replaced all four seals. New, 3 piece clutch. New tie rod and tie rod ends with alignment. New Y-pipe. New, (almost properly jetted - I'll let you know when I get it just right) Weber 32/36dgev. I have a rear Gemtop topper that sits flush with the cab roofline. I removed the seats in the bed so I could use some bedliner on it. I am going to fab some brackets to install and remove the rear seats at will so it will remain somewhat original yet add versatility. Just passed smog last week with 79ppm HC and 0.6% CO running the Weber. Awesome! Now registered, insured, and ready to rock. It is only one of four cars so it will not be driven every day. Probably only once a week and when I need it to haul something. It should last a long time! :)

I still need to replace the clicking halfshafts and a leaky muffler that makes an otherwise pleasant and reliable truck sound like a POS! Also need to get a new thermo switch to operate the radiator fan. It is currently wired to run all the time. Not practical with winter coming. Ultimately, I will address the bit of rust and the damaged paint. Would be nice to replace the cracked windshield and rubber on the Gemtop too but...?

I think I have some pics. I'll see if I can dig them up and figure out how to post them.

Anyway, sorry for the book. Nice to meet you all.

-Dave

Dave,

you need to replace that htermo switch as soon as possible or you may melt your wiring harness by running too much current through it.

Klaus

Hi all.

New member here. I've read much but never posted.

Anyway, checking in with a 1979 Brat. Twas my first Subaru although I've been an old, foreign car junkie for all my driving career. Original body with only a couple little dime size rust spots on top of right front fender and one on door. Dare I say rust free except for those flaws. Paint on hood is sundamaged but good everywhere else and is original 'mocha' (I think) brown. Bought it about a year ago for $1100. Installed a low-mileage (supposedly between 10,000-50,000) Japanese import EA71 with hydraulic lifters (and they're quiet). Pulled the transaxle and replaced all four seals. New, 3 piece clutch. New tie rod and tie rod ends with alignment. New Y-pipe. New, (almost properly jetted - I'll let you know when I get it just right) Weber 32/36dgev. I have a rear Gemtop topper that sits flush with the cab roofline. I removed the seats in the bed so I could use some bedliner on it. I am going to fab some brackets to install and remove the rear seats at will so it will remain somewhat original yet add versatility. Just passed smog last week with 79ppm HC and 0.6% CO running the Weber. Awesome! Now registered, insured, and ready to rock. It is only one of four cars so it will not be driven every day. Probably only once a week and when I need it to haul something. It should last a long time! :)

I still need to replace the clicking halfshafts and a leaky muffler that makes an otherwise pleasant and reliable truck sound like a POS! Also need to get a new thermo switch to operate the radiator fan. It is currently wired to run all the time. Not practical with winter coming. Ultimately, I will address the bit of rust and the damaged paint. Would be nice to replace the cracked windshield and rubber on the Gemtop too but...?

I think I have some pics. I'll see if I can dig them up and figure out how to post them.

Anyway, sorry for the book. Nice to meet you all.

-Dave

Checkin in with '78 brat, import hyd. motor, weber,k/n filter, 3" lift, 205 14's on orig. jackmans, low roll bar, low topper,modded front bumper,modded steering wheel (don't know what make). I too have been running full time cooling fan until I get off my duff. But have major clunk, and have not driven it for quite a while. Recent post has be looking at possible strut problem.

Daily driver, '87 4 sp. dual range, brat, stock.

'79 brat out in the back (on hold)

Both older brats are Az. vehicles.

Checkin in with '78 brat, import hyd. motor, weber,k/n filter, 3" lift, 205 14's on orig. jackmans, low roll bar, low topper,modded front bumper,modded steering wheel

Sounds cool. How did you lift yours? Did you fab the kit yourself? I thought the original Jackmans were a 13" wheel? How is your Weber jetted and at what altitude are you?

I'm only a couple hundred feet above sea level and I'm currently running 140 mains, 60 primary idle, 50 secondary idle, 170 air correctors. Idle and primary circuits seem to be dialed in. The secondary circuit is still a little rich though. I have to pick up some more jets to try and lean it out a bit more.

lemme see.....

'79 4wd wagon, DL model but has everything a GL has but without the cool instrument cluster AC and the steering wheel. Has quad headlights, woodgrain dash, deluxe interior, had a JDM EA71 (gonna have a custom EA81 twin turbo and d/r 4-speed). Currently has no motor in it but does have the EA81 vented rotor swap, lowered 3", and has a new interior thanks to General Disorder:)

'78 Brat, DL model. Has quad headlights, no AC, no special interior, no woodgrain dash. This is basically the DL model. I swapped the original EA71 with a JDM high compression EA71 which woke it right on up for power. Had it in RWD, lowered, did burnouts like crazy, electronic disty swap and custom exhaust.

All that work was on the brat when I bought it, except for the import motor. I got this brat for 250.00, and truly an Az. vehicle, no rust. The lift is alum blocks, and looked professionally done. I think the rear is clocked, but they welded a new shock mount bolt about an 1" higher than stock. I've had alot of wgt on it and it hasn't broken. The engine ,and weber was in the back, so I just went ahead and got an import. I got the engine from Raising sun with clutch and shipping it came to 500.00. This was a few yrs ago. But I just priced an ea-81 clutch from them, new for 140.00. The wheels look just like our standard Suby wheels,but I have heard they were an option way back when. There was a picture of my brat on the gallery at one time. I haven't seen it lately, it may be on someone elses collection. It was in the woods with a dr 370 in the back(suzuki). I am at a mile high, but don't know the jetting. It has always run strong, and has no problem with winter starts. I'm about ready to another side job so I can afford to have someone else look at it. I've just about replaced the whole front end. Later, Dave.

Hey Guys, I am new to the message board, but I am checking in with a 1977 GL Wagon. I currently have my EA71 in the machine shop getting it cleaned up and run through the paces. I have bought a Weber carb. which I will put on soon. I am considering taking some off the heads for higher compression and getting a performance ground cam.

If any one has opinions on those moves (AKA if they are worth it or not), I could use the input.

-One and half 1977 Subaru wagons

Hey Guys, I am new to the message board, but I am checking in with a 1977 GL Wagon. I currently have my EA71 in the machine shop getting it cleaned up and run through the paces. I have bought a Weber carb. which I will put on soon. I am considering taking some off the heads for higher compression and getting a performance ground cam.

If any one has opinions on those moves (AKA if they are worth it or not), I could use the input.

-One and half 1977 Subaru wagons

what's the build date on that 77 of yours? cause there was a body change halfway through the year just curious cause of the 76 I have :) but if it looks like mine (it's in the photo gallery) then you do have a 77 instead of a 77 1/2

I figure we'd be a bit more organized if we 70's through '80 owners got ourselves a contact list now before the mid 80's folks turn vintage too.

Our cars are a breed all their own.Beyond the original series,yet pre-computer excepting the '80-81 Brats etc.

Anybody up for compiling the info?

I think if we linked the user name we can all have each others contact info,if filled out.Just add what vehicle(s) we own.

I'm borrowing a Mac laptop and have no idea how to cut and paste with this thing,sorry.

Maybe as a group we might also have some buying power for the last of what's out there for stock.But that's a distant dream right now.

That's an awesome idea... If Jason doesn't do the compilation of the info, I will be happy to... my winter projects are pretty much wrapped up... and it's not even officially winter yet! So why a distant dream? No time like now.

here's the link to Dave's 78....

http://usmb.net/gallery/readersrides/daveAps_78_1

the original jackmans that you could get were 13's yes, but there were special lift kits made for the Gen1's and it came with the 14" jackman wheels.

the Jackman wheels have flat spokes, and a Jackman 'J' logo stamped in the front of one of the wheel spokes.....

McBrat thanks for finding that picture. I have a dig. camera now, I'll get some better pictures. I've often wondered if the lift was 'factory', don't know. I may have been blowing smoke saying those wheels were Jackmans, I can't verify that, since I can't find any id on the wheels. I was told they were jackmans after I posted the picture.