Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ultimate subaru road trip!!

So have this crazy idea, im looking at doing this in the near future ( a year or so )

I want to drive my 82 subaru wagon from Washington (state) to Alaska in the winter.:banana:.... some say i may be nuts, what a challange that might be.

what do you all think. am I nuts.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People do it all of the time. Just be sure you have all of your ducks in a row first. It can be rather unforgiving if you're unprepared. Also, you may want to become a member of SKA (Subaru Klub of Alaska) in case you break down. We have people around the state who will lend a hand if they know you're stuck of down.

Sounds like it could be fun. I will be flying to Newark, NJ next Monday, and driving back to Anchorage in the '89 GL-10 touring wagon I just picked up. Turning it into a mini-vacation. Going to visit my sister for her birthday, see a couple of friends, and catch random hockey games on my way back. Should be a blast.

this would be a very organized trip..no screwing around. Its an idea not a reality. probably a post college venture...if not the winter i will do it in the summer..one of these days. :)

it would be fun to have a carivan of people..safety in groups.

i would love to join in on that trip, in fact.. I had spoken to a few people at WCSS7 about doing that very same trip!

if you can hold off till winter 06/07 i may be able to go along.. with my roadtripping being my kinda thing to do it may be helpful and safer if I am there :brow:

keep the things you learned in boyscouts in practice.. they come in useful when your out in the middle of nowhere :-p

maybe get a caravan of subarus going? it would be a fun "meet-n-greet" road trip/multiday campout journey!

The only question I have is:

Should I get the Legacy, the XT6, the RX, or the Brat ready for this trip?

And by ready I mean:

All the tools I need to rebuild a sube, Two spare tires, Two spare axles, -30F Sleeping Bags, Cooler full of food, all the spare little extra parts incase anything breaks down, snowboard, *cough cough*:brow: , plenty of water, 5 gallon gas can filled with premium fuel... etc etc...

Uhmm... I got one more question now....

Will Canada allow me to drive through their country, because I have some misdemeanors on my record? Should I be okay if I get a passport and stuff?

I would hate to drive from tucson to canada to find out I can't go on that journey.

I see some of us are getting excited about this crazy trip idea:brow:

i won't be graduated for a nother year or so from college so it would have to wait till later...who knows i may have a more dependable more comfortable subaru..who knows... it could be exciting forsure.:D

Depending on conditions(what month you go in) you should not have too much trouble.The roads are kept much better than they used to be.I went through before in January and didn't have a hard time. I used to live in Soldotna,Ak and my brother and I drove through a bit to minnesota and to washinton.I would take the brat if you can.Sounds like fun.

Oh man this really sounds cool, i've made many road trips but never left the lower 48, 3x seattle and back, every car i get is from at least 12 hours away.

so anyway, i'm totally in. and if we can co-ordinate it with the SKA and maybe do some off roading AK style, maybe some hiking, biking, i dunno if thats the route you were thinking i'm just planting the seeds.

My wife and I are SO up for this! Gotta get the wagon prepped for a trip like that, though.

Lessee....

Really good snow tires (6)

Shovel

4 axles (2 front, 2 rear)

Cooler w/ food

MRE's

winch (5k? 9.5?)

blankets (yes, thats plural)

Heavy duty cold weather gear

Complete set of tools

On board air (?)

Lots and lots of lights.

Roof rack

Anybody have any thoughts on using really aggressive tires in the snow? Like a bogger? Or would normal snow tires be better?

It's definitely doable, but preparation is the key. Getting parts is HARD in rural areas along the way, and it can take weeks to get stuff there. I always carry at least one spare axle, bearings, timing belts, alternator/fan/etc belts even for my regular trips around the state. For something like this, you'd want to think about stuff like fuel pumps, drive shafts, distributors, gasket sets, etc.

One thing I would mention is gas is expensive in Canada. When I drove to WCSS7, it was around $1.20 a liter in the more remote places on the Casiar compared to just under a dollar in the more populated places. Well, now it's $1.20 a liter in the more populated places, so it won't be a cheap trip. Have plenty of extra cash.

Like Matt said, definitely get contact information for the SKA people as well as the Canadians on the board. Depending on when you make the trip, I can and will drive down and help repair/tow vehicles if the need arises.

As far as when to go, it depends on what you want to do. It's safer to drive in the summer because it's not deathly cold and there's more traffic. Probably also a better time to come as far as touring the state and seeing stuff. I think it would be cool if you guys came up here the week before WCSS8, spent a week driving around the state (that's the minimum it would take to see much of it), then we could caravan back down with you and go to the show.

"Anybody have any thoughts on using really aggressive tires in the snow? Like a bogger? Or would normal snow tires be better?"

For driving in the snow, get the tallest, NARROWEST studded tires you can fit under your rig. I can't count how many trucks with big wide tires I've seen slide off into the ditch while I cruised right on by in my narrow-tired soob.

Generally up here, the winter "offroading" is on unplowed snow-covered roads because it's entirely too deep everywhere else for any car or truck to handle.

I also carry cable-chains with me at all times in the winter, but have yet to need them.

I was up in Alaska this summer for 10 weeks and it rocked. its beautifull there in the summer. we went fishing and hiking in Denali state park. 14 mile hike blue sky 70 degrees...it was awsome.

seriously though you guys are starting to make me think i need to make this happen. the whole idea was that i have never been on a long road trip aside from a few drives to colorado with the parents. This idea came up wile talking to a friend from Soldotna..just a random idea.

Im looking for a challange. something that is risky, 2500 miles from my home to anchorage in cold weather and snow. this would take some major prep for me to go and would probably take a week of my time or more. the suby i had in mind dosn't have a lift, stock ea81 with a single barel carb... 150k miles on it. and an iffy transmision. im talking serious look over and a good amount of needed parts to go on the trip. a fatty rack on top with gear tires, gass and a hord of lights.:brow: dang im getting excited...

if i cant go this has sure sparked some interest. thats a cool thing about this croud of people. helpfull, nice... and so on. I love my vw but you guys seem alot more my style. :headbang:

Someone up front of a caravan needs to have a good, beefy front brushguard. Need something for the moose to bounce off of(or your Soob :rolleyes: ). I've always wanted to do the Alkan, and this is starting to get me interested also. Altho I dont think its possible for me in the near future but down the road like 2 summers from now.

Maybe.

shoot, we could make it a TSD rally get stickers made up and everything, maybe even get subaru to sponsor it, somthing like "30 years of Subaru AWD" and have Subaru's from every era. might even get my dad involved, he's got a Forester, and i've got an 1980, so that takes care of new and old, but i'm sure repeats wouldn't be an issue, more new stuff the better eh?

it would be 4800 miles round trip from Seattle to Anchorage and back. it could be the "subie 48 hundred"

shoot, we could make it a TSD rally get stickers made up and everything, maybe even get subaru to sponsor it, somthing like "30 years of Subaru AWD" and have Subaru's from every era. might even get my dad involved, he's got a Forester, and i've got an 1980, so that takes care of new and old, but i'm sure repeats wouldn't be an issue, more new stuff the better eh?

it would be 4800 miles round trip from Seattle to Anchorage and back. it could be the "subie 48 hundred"

That would be sweet, but we could have a WRC-style rally on the Denali highway between Cantwell and Paxson. 150 miles of unmaintained gravel.....:slobber:

That would be sweet, but we could have a WRC-style rally on the Denali highway between Cantwell and Paxson. 150 miles of unmaintained gravel.....:slobber:

THATS IT! I am SOOOOO there! When do we leave????

Went down to Schwab today...found a set of tires that I believe I'll be using. Now I just need to get the lift actually installed, build the Safari Rack w/ lights and extra fuel tank...and figure out why the dang car is currently running so dang rich.