Ultimate Subaru Message Board

AA stuff+Liberators=issues

kingbobdole

Hey peeps...

I finally got my tires on last night but! I have a slight issue. I've got my 87 spfi wagon with 4" lift and 15" AA Wheels with 235/75R15 libs.... VERY nice looking, what Dr. K needs, anyways... they hit a bolt on the front of the rear suspension just slightly, but at all times. My current solution is to go to the hardware store and get some "wheel offset spacers" (aka washers) and off set it out... any other less ghetto ideas?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thats the size of tires I was gonna run. Good to know of issues I'm going to run into.

Washers will work for spacers. I ran my car like that for 2 winters with washers on the front to keep the EA81 rims I had from rubbing on the brake caliper.

Just make sure they are stainless steel washers so they dont rust or wear down

Its rubbing on of the front bolts of the rear suspension... looks like a pivot point of the rear... I actually had very little bashing to do... hour and a half at most..... I got washers today, I'll put them on tomarrow and tell you guys if it all worked out... I got some zinc coated jobs from McGuckins

I don't think that grinding bolts that are holding your suspension together is a good idea. I would think that the wheels would have slightly more offset, to allow for wider tires. (Just my thoughts) I hope I don't have as many problems as you did!

(But I am going with Pug rims) :banana:

Rick

leave it, keep an eye on it. make sure its not wearing through the tire.

morganms setup has been this way for years.

Mine don't rub on any bolts; just on the front inner fender well on the unibody.

Sounds like he needs less backspacing at the rims.

I thought the AA lift allowed for 29" swampers??? Those are bigger than 235/75 Liberators. Rims are key; what rims are running on your rig Bob? Shady?

Sounds like he needs less backspacing at the rims.

Try to find some old landcruiser rims or 80's toy truck rims. I had the same probs with mine when I installed the 29x10.5's. I traded the wreckers for some toy rims with 3.5" backspacing and I now have huge amounts of clearance.

backspacing.... damn candian talk...

do you mean inset or offset? offset being farther out from the car.. inset being closer in

backspacing isnt some canadian term; its different than offset.

offset is how far in/out the mounting surface is from the center line; mesured in negative and positve... not 'inset'.

backspacing is how far out the backside edge of the rim is from the mounting surface.

http://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html#backspace

washers are for suckers!

6 lug swap, run the wheels with the right backspacing. or even pugs. i didnt know you meant it hits up there. what about at the strut spring seats? its gotta be gouging there then too.

i will love to see 235s fit on an ea81 with those same wheels, and an aa lift... it will never happen