Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What do your friends think of your hobby!?

Shadyirishmen

most of my family think im just being myself, the guys at work think im stupid for spending money on my "crappy P.O.S. subaru" my woman thinks im nuts and wishes i would buy a better, nicer car. my stepbrother and best friend know what my car can do. in general, i think subaru's are one of the underdog's of the automotive world. i guess you just have to go out and show em how's boss. but for the most part, you guys are the only people that share my enthusiasum.

~Josh~

Its funny, I posted my car on a local 4x4 board, and Im pretty much famous for it now. Everybody on the island who 4x4s knows about that lifted subaru out in Sooke, when they find out I'm the builder they start asking me how I did it, and they want to see it finished so they can see it 'wheel. I have never had a single negative response in person, a couple losers trying to mock it on the internet, but then I find out they dont even have a 4x4 of their own :rolleyes:

Even without lifting or modifying Subies... I show my friends pics and tell them about places I've taken my subies and they laugh. "Why don't you just get a Jeep?" "Why don't you just sell the piece of junk and get a real car?" "Why do you try to take something places it was never intended to go?" "Why don't you stop putting money into your (brat/wagon) and put it towards your truck?" The only thing my mum says is "Well... I guess its your car 'manda. If you want to destroy it then its your deal."

But then of course there are people like my dad "what parts do you need next? Can I keep an eye out for something when I go to the parts yard?" And then my assistant at work thinks it rocks. He thinks its really cool that a chick would even consider trying some of that stuff or even care about cars. That alone makes me ok. .... I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, most people think I am a crazed whack-O, but I have the last laugh (except when it's broken) when I zip it around off road. Got some strange looks from some jeeps while off roading, but when I went through a monster dip, and got the front airborne, and their laughs, and miles went to looks of awe, and confusion.

People always ask me if I race my brat, as it has a ton of rally stickers on it, I just laugh, and tell them it's not ready to race yet.

And people I tell I am lifting it, say "get a real truck" and crap like that, and I reply "try to get 28+mpg in a "real" truck, and watch me go by in my cheap-O subaru, while you are paying a ton of money to get your "real" truck repaired" And that shuts them up.

But I think actions speak louder than words, so I try to show people that it can off road.

Rick

Nearly everybody at work and school loves my car. They think it's the coolest thing ever. Other than my boss, who just thinks it's silly. Most of my friends aren't car people, so they think it's neat and that's about it, but those who are into cars think it's weird but give me lots of respect for doing something out of the ordinary. My parents both think it's a worthless piece of junk.:rolleyes:

Well, they all wonder why I have such an old car and make fun of it a bit, but they all also think it's something special if they get a ride in my car. And on a road trip this fall, the girls both decided to ride with me, instead of in the brand new dodge or toyota pickups that the other guys were driving...

And after seeing my $50 subaru, my dad bought a subaru outback instead of a pickup that he's always had before...

well, it is a mixed bag. While it was in the process of being built, I got a lot of snickers and jabs. Now that it has raged the streets and gotten demolished on the trails, people have much more respect. One kid asked me if he "could drive it, just round the parking lot, please?" So i let him and he was happy aferward, saying "now I can say I drove a lifted soob" Don't see many people asking to drive lifted chevy's now do ya. And now it's crippled and I'm hitchhiking round, sometimes I get the "you're the driver of that lifted wagon, aint'cha?" So it is toatally known in the neighborhood.

well, it is a mixed bag. While it was in the process of being built, I got a lot of snickers and jabs. Now that it has raged the streets and gotten demolished on the trails, people have much more respect. One kid asked me if he "could drive it, just round the parking lot, please?" So i let him and he was happy aferward, saying "now I can say I drove a lifted soob" Don't see many people asking to drive lifted chevy's now do ya. And now it's crippled and I'm hitchhiking round, sometimes I get the "you're the driver of that lifted wagon, aint'cha?" So it is toatally known in the neighborhood.

hitchhiking in the northeast in winter sucks. I hope people are nicer around you than they are around me...

Potsdam NY, vs southern NH... that's a tough one dude... :rolleyes:

true... true... people wouldn't even sell my friend an I a gallon of gas for $20 at 9pm in canton when we ran out of gas in october...

me being a hippy probably doesn't help though

<EDIT> SORRY FOR HIJACK I HAVE ADD

Man you guys are lucky for having people that u don't know accept what you drive. The ahole's in this small city don't think it is cool to drive anything but a domestic. The people I work with always have something crappy,or better yet would like to challenge me with there fords Chevy’s dodges. Just today some jack said: let’s hook a chain to it and pull it around sideways: my personal favorite was: I had to pee so I pissed on your car: as for my friends they don’t understand y I don't trade for a Chevy s10 or something. The only person that likes my little subies is my wife but she drives an 03 caviler herself. But she loves the wrx. sorry for rant

My bro and others give me the eternal, "Why don't you just get a truck?" Then I reply with that my Rubasu cost me $2k, and asked if he got 22mpg in his truck. Nope... (13, in case you're wondering) He uses his truck to tow his 4-wheeler, which would not be any problem for the Rubasu, I just have to put a hitch on it...

When I was towing a Honda CRX with my Legacy, I certainly got some funny looks, not to mention the time I just got back from camping, when I had loads of mud all long the sides of it.. hehe When I was out on those back roads going through all of that mud, I had this guy drive by on a 4 wheeler looking at me like I had lost my mind. It was great. Haha.

Here's the kicker.. I've towed more with my Legacy than most people will ever tow with their Subuarban or whatever blooming SUV... I want to make a sticker that says something along the lines of, "I offroad more in my CAR than you do in your TRUCK!"

And lastly, since we're getting some winter weather finally down here in Arkansas this year, a coworker was saying that she didn't want to drive in "That stuff." I asked "Why, your truck has 4 wheel drive, right?" She replied No. My reply? "What's the point of a 2 wheel drive truck?" She wasn't pleased. haha

Man you guys are lucky for having people that u don't know accept what you drive. The ahole's in this small city don't think it is cool to drive anything but a domestic. The people I work with always have something crappy,or better yet would like to challenge me with there fords Chevy’s dodges. Just today some jack said: let’s hook a chain to it and pull it around sideways: my personal favorite was: I had to pee so I pissed on your car: as for my friends they don’t understand y I don't trade for a Chevy s10 or something. The only person that likes my little subies is my wife but she drives an 03 caviler herself. But she loves the wrx. sorry for rant

Yeah. Well, you live in Indiana.... Sorry, but I think that's the least favorite US state I've been to. No, wait. Nebraska and Kansas are worse, or at least more boring. Come out here to CO. I live in a sort of rich town, so alot of people have $40,000 SUV's (and are either still scared to drive in the snow, or think they're invincible in the snow and end up upside down in the ditch). But I've also gotten in conversations with people crossing in front of me at crosswalks about how cool my '89 GL wagon is.

I have the same problem here in this armpit of a town...I could not find any Subaru owners....at least not the 70's. 80's or 90's ....there are a few retired couples who drive the new outbacks...even finding a subaru to buy here was difficult. The only guy I know who thinks they are great is an Aussie I work with-he and his wife both drive soobs.

I can not wait to get my '89 wagon running and go where all the SUV's and HUGE lifted chevys and fords can not go!

And lastly, since we're getting some winter weather finally down here in Arkansas this year, a coworker was saying that she didn't want to drive in "That stuff." I asked "Why, your truck has 4 wheel drive, right?" She replied No. My reply? "What's the point of a 2 wheel drive truck?" She wasn't pleased. haha

maybe she didn't know if it was 4wd :grin:

I have the same problem here in this armpit of a town...I could not find any Subaru owners....at least not the 70's. 80's or 90's ....there are a few retired couples who drive the new outbacks...even finding a subaru to buy here was difficult. The only guy I know who thinks they are great is an Aussie I work with-he and his wife both drive soobs.

This is the exact opposite of here!

There are 6 Brumbys in my little town of 600 people!

More Subarus are sold in Tasmania (per haed of population) than anywhere else in the world.

Brumbys have street cred.

People know they run forever,

everyone has been in one at some stage,

people know they will tow their own weight.

And L series, and bloody imprezas and libertys.

Rental companies love them, AWD helps keep the tourists on the blacktop.

Its a funny world.

I did the whole GC8 1998 Subaru Impreza Coupe WRX swap track car thing

and then 25 others started doing the same thing. I decided to be different

and buy a EA82 and the lifting will commence soon.

My friends all shake there heads at me, but when I pull into the lot when they are done and my car towers over them like a giant we'll see.

Plus I want to take the family outdoors more and the dual range will get me where I want.

Right now I am the crazy one of my group. It's all for fun and to enjoy being

a car nut.