Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Who lives between MI and CA? Update First Post

We leave Tomorrow for San Diego, first night is planned in St. Louis, and after that who knows. the route is....

Indianapolis, St. Louis, OK City, Amarillo Tx, Flagstaff Nm, Tuscon Az, Las Vegas for New Years, and then San Diego.

If you live along this route give me a call, its always nice to hear a friendly voice on the road.

two three one- five 8 zero, six 2 4 niner.

And my name is Noah, incase you didn't figure that one out in the screen name.

I may be making a road trip down to San Diego, next monday, the 19th, from Michigan to San Diego, and if the worst should happen, i'll be needing a place to wrench.

I'll be taking the southernmost route, to avoid the mountains if i can, as i could be pulling a trailer. Don't really know what that route is, but i'd like to go south of Colorado, but well north of Texas.

Any help would be appreciated if i end up needing it, I should know by Friday the 16th, if i'll be going.

If you see an old 88 Subie with a lift and Stickers, i'll be on CH 5, and i'll have my ears on.

Noah, if mountains are a consideration, I would cut off your route in Colorado and head down to Denver, then south on the interstate and cross the Rockies thru Raton Pass.

Then south of SantaFe, head to Albequerque, and down to !-10, at Deming, NM > Tucson > Yuma > S.D. Lovely time of year to cross the desert, and you'll have minimal grades to contend with. Raton is the lowest pass south of Marias Pass, MT, on Hwy 2, which is exactly one mile in elev.

If you stop in Seattle on your way, I ain't lettin ya leave.

That is the theory. I'll be bringing all my Subie stuff to a home base, aka "parents garage" and loading up in the 88, and heading north to seek my fortune.

I have a friend coming in from Zurich on the 26th, so we should be heading out on the 27th or 28th with the 96 and the 88, i'll be flying back to Detroit after New Years, and takeing the 80 down with whats left in the apartment to San Diego, some time around mid January, early February I should be pulling into Seattle.

Mcbrat, if i'm headed through Iowa, i'll be sure to stop by.

• 2 weeks later...

I've done the detroit to seattle 2 times, both ways, and every other time i blew a timing belt in Montana. this time i had a spare belt, spare car, and an EJ22 in the 88 and not the shoddy EA-82. If we didn't have to drag a trailer over the continental divide, we could have made it in 2 days, not 4.

As for wheeling, heck yes, i'll be swapping in the "lincoln locker" some time this week or next, and i need to send out for 2 rear axles from MWE, one got pretty stiff and started making noise in, well michigan, and i got annoyed with it so i pulled the both of them in a rest stop at around 11pm.

The axles, some wiring cleanup, and either getting the stock plate to fit, or going to the Boeing surplus store and getting a nice Titanium one, don't want to bash the oil pan on the new engine swap.

Now i just have to figure out this exhaust leak, and everything will be fabulous.