Ultimate Subaru Message Board

hand throttle

thesubarukid

I sware I have used the "search" for 2 days looking for this so I am just going to ask. Please dont tell me to use the "search"

does anyone know which website, gives directions on how to install a hand throttle on the gear shifter?

The Kid,

Olympia, WA

You could probably easily make one using a bicycle shifter cable, and a bicycle shifter (not one that clicks, one that moves smoothly).

My friend did that on his Tacoma that he took off-roading. He said it was nice to not have to always worry about the foot on the throttle.

just use a brake handle from a bike. mount it to your shifter right below the knob. I'm not sure if you could make it work with the regular throttle cable, or a bike cable. but that part will require a little creativity.

however, I fail to see the point on a subaru. They're already equiped with a hand brake.

The reason other rigs started using those was the ebrake is a pedal. and it was easier to relocate the throttle than it is the brake.

not to mention the fact that it would suck HARDCORE for any street driving.

hey thanks guys, i just think it might be useful? I saw it done on jeeps and just thought it might come in handy one day.

not only that but if i ever get pulled over and the cop askes i can say thats my gas peddle :grin:

thanks everyone! :)

i believe it may be illegal unless you have a permit for it.. like suicide knobs... i knew i kid in high school who had both of these, but he had a medical condition where his feel/legs weren't able to operate the pedels properly.

it's fine and dandy and legal. i wouldn't worry about it in that aspect. that's like getting into the debate about the legality of beadlocks or the fact your subie lift kit is not dot approved...

i used a universal kit, that was like 25 bucks from rubiconexpress.com or google rubicon express. they make a lot of jeep parts. i'm putting the same kit on my new truck also. they can actually be a life saver on hills offroad. especailly in the soobs, when the gear reduction really sucks without a second tcase. with the finger throttle mounted on the stick shift, you can control the throttle with your pointer and middle finger, while you manipulate the clutch and brakes with the feet. got me out of a lot of jams, in rocky steep climbs. also could use as a temporary cruise control on level ground on the street. but it's not recomended.

to make it easier...

http://www.rubiconexpress.com/dynamic/mainpage.asp?folderid=785

straight link to the kit i used. i know i had to fab a small braket and emprovise on a few things... but overall a good kit, when i get home i'll finishing installing the yota's. one thing to watch out for is to periodically tighten the adjuster on the finger throttle itself. cause if you have a lot of vibes coming through your stick, it'll come off and go by by... after i got the ultimate cases for the suby, i had more vibes and the center vibrated off and went out the dual t's open shift hole...

off and on. a lot of the time it just chills there anymore. but like i was saying especially on steep climbs or any technical obstical on a hill, where braking and clutching is needed... it's extremely useful. it's more of a luxury than a definate need. but used properly it can be very helpful and save some headaches. i use it very little since i got the lower gearing. it's also effective with my doble t's for keeping a crawl pace on the trail. definately something you don't use everyday. upgrade to it and see how you like it. i love mine, and like i said, i love it enough i'm putting it in my new project rig!

with the finger throttle mounted on the stick shift, you can control the throttle with your pointer and middle finger, while you manipulate the clutch and brakes with the feet.

I understand that. but I don't understand why it would work any better than working the clutch and throttle with your feet, and working the brakes with your hand. no modification required for that....

on some terrain it would probably be a lot better to be able to lock up all tires very solid unlike the e brake. I know mine is in good shape and adjusted correctly but it doesnt work that well especially on something steep.

I'm sure you could rig the hand throttle to just be an add on, leaving the gas pedal operational.

on some terrain it would probably be a lot better to be able to lock up all tires very solid unlike the e brake. I know mine is in good shape and adjusted correctly but it doesnt work that well especially on something steep.

I'm sure you could rig the hand throttle to just be an add on, leaving the gas pedal operational.

I've never encountered anything that I could climb, where the ebrake wasn't enough just to hold the car in place.

Useing the Brake AND the clutch can "simulate" a locker or LSD in certain situations. By modulating the brake you can get traction to wheels that are grounded by locking up those that are not. That's the technical aspect of what is going on - and thus the need for something to hold the throttle while attempting this sort of thing. I used to do this a lot in the ARMY H1's since they have open diffs, but since they are all automatics I didn't need a hand throttle. The trick with using the brakes works surprisingly well although generally an air or detroit style locker is better. LSD's are virtually useless for real crawling. Especially the soob versions as they were for rally and street use - ie: no good for low speeds - the clutch packs in them are too small for the high torque at low speeds.

GD

Useing the Brake AND the clutch can "simulate" a locker or LSD in certain situations. By modulating the brake you can get traction to wheels that are grounded by locking up those that are not. That's the technical aspect of what is going on - and thus the need for something to hold the throttle while attempting this sort of thing. I used to do this a lot in the ARMY H1's since they have open diffs, but since they are all automatics I didn't need a hand throttle. The trick with using the brakes works surprisingly well although generally an air or detroit style locker is better. LSD's are virtually useless for real crawling. Especially the soob versions as they were for rally and street use - ie: no good for low speeds - the clutch packs in them are too small for the high torque at low speeds.

GD

Opinions differ in this subject. VLSD's are useless offroad. LSD's do just what they are intended to do. They give traction at low speeds but break loose under heavy bind to eliminate and/or reduce breakage. Most people make this mistake when installing them. They expect them to stay engaged no matter what. The comparison between lockers of any type and LSD's is comparing apples to oranges. None to be had really. The only truely positive tracion device for a Subaru will be welding. This option will break more parts than any other.

The hand throttle is used by many true crawlers and others as well. It gives better control of the vehicle in risky situations. If you haven't needed it you probably haven't been in a bad situation that needed extra control of your vehicle. I have been in a few situations that a hand throttle might have made it easier to get through or out of.

The other thing to keep in mind is that everyones idea of off-roading is different. Some think a forest service road at high speed is 4Xing. Others think hill climbs and mud bogs are the only thing to do. Not many rigs here are built to do it all. I still sport a dent from someone who thought they could take an inferior vehicle through the same thing as my Brat. Ended up having to pull them out with a fried clutch and soaked interior.