Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2 core radiator?

i dont know about where to buy one or order one from, but i can tell you that if you go lookin for junkyards, youll find them in most turbo models, and ones that didnt come with a clutch fan. try gl-10 turbos specifically

although they may appear in non turbo models, like this 88 spfi wagon we are working on. (but we're swapping a turbo into it!)

spmeone on the board may have one for you, and by where you are located, someone not too far away.

try the marketplace forum

you could try ebay

others can give you a link to a place to order from

Yeah, radiators.com and order by phone but ask for the "internet price." To get the 2 row version, I had to order it for a '91 Loyale turbo. I also needed to use a '91 style upper rad hose but other than that it bolted right up to the '87 RX. The clutch fan was a dang tight fit so I installed an electric fan from a EA81 car. Tex should be able to explain how to wire it to run off a thermoswitch and relay.

and i paid $129 total well $135 with shipping to my door :>)

and it is a two core.

Side note!

I have a contact who is working on a possible multi purchase discount.

With Okamisan(Mike), Calebz, me, Mudrat79?, and appearantly a couple others are wanting this to occur....

We are looking at a WIDE 2 core = what a 3core would be to our current 2 core design.

He will do a set of 10 not the seven we had gotten (what i understand is serious interest) .... Origianally last spring Greg (one of the better radiator guy's in town did a little research for me and came back with a cost of like $500 for 2 of these special WIDE 2 cores that fit in the stock setting but you will have to convert to electric fan as the clutched unit would definately tap and rub it.

I am waiting on a call back from him later this week to see what he was able to find out.

He was working of the plan of getting tanks from either a few old ones or a catalog for these are the crimp on design... unless he has to let these folks custom make the 20 tank sides.

that being said these are the EA82 design only.

there its said.

• 1 year later...

anyone know how these 2 row radiators compare to an XT6 radiator? any XT6 owner knows that there are no aftermarket suppliers for an XT6. the XT radiators can be tweaked to fit but are one row. anyone know if the hose sizes on the 2 row EA82 radiators are smaller than the XT6? are they all metal or have plastic end tanks as well?

anyone know how these 2 row radiators compare to an XT6 radiator? any XT6 owner knows that there are no aftermarket suppliers for an XT6. the XT radiators can be tweaked to fit but are one row. anyone know if the hose sizes on the 2 row EA82 radiators are smaller than the XT6? are they all metal or have plastic end tanks as well?

GG, I have an XT6 radiator in my hot little hands now (Thanks to Qman, and also to TomRhere!!!).

After cursory examination by me (it was raining, so very cursory!), the core itself is the same as the EA82, the top and bottom mounting straps are slightly different, and the header tanks are similar but the outlets on the XT6 are significantly larger in diameter. I am looking in to a couple options. ;)

The Modine EA82 2-row are all metal, and real metal at that.

pat,

cool i did send a PM a long time ago trying to finally get back to you on ER27 radiator dimensions. took me awhile. glad you found one.

Gary, I got the info (I thought that I had responded, but wouldn't be the first time i goofed! Thanks!), but what turns out to be really important is the outlet and mounts.

BTW, not only are XT6 radiators almost nonexistant on the aftermarket, but XT (XT4) radiators are being dropped, also. Modine lists them as existing stock only (or similar term). Soon, it may be EA81s....

I am pretty sure that my radiator guy can do up some XT6 radiators, given an example such as mine. So, maybe get "stock" and "race" options.