Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Binding issue in 95 Impreza Manual

I'm fixing up a 95 Impreza Coupe, 1.8 AWD 5-speed, 56k

The car has been sitting for a few years, and it starts and runs fine, but is binding like the center diff is locked... (fine when going straight, but binds when turning)

Anyone ever have this happen to one that's been setting a long time?

And if so, did it finially free up after driving it a while?

I can't imagine it's a major issue in the tranny, as with only 56k on it, and a stock EJ18 in front of it, couldn't have been abused too much...:rolleyes:

Could be in the front diff...but feels like a center diff issue...

The rear wheels spin free with the back end jacked up (opposite direction/open diff), but I haven't checked the front ones yet.

Any thoughts or advise is welcome...;)

Maybe the clutches kind of cold welded from sitting. Maybe what I did could work for you too: my used '96 TB had torque bind for a while even after I changed the ATF to amsoil syn atf. It went away entirely after I went out hill climbing one hot summer day and got the ATF up to about 210 deg. F for a couple times for about 10 minutes. The next day I was surprised to find the TB gone.

Maybe the clutches kind of cold welded from sitting. Maybe what I did could work for you too: my used '96 TB had torque bind for a while even after I changed the ATF to amsoil syn atf. It went away entirely after I went out hill climbing one hot summer day and got the ATF up to about 210 deg. F for a couple times for about 10 minutes. The next day I was surprised to find the TB gone.

It's a Manual transmission, not a auto....no internal clutches....

If it really is torque bind, some forum members have reported alleviating it in manual-trans models (with viscous coupling) by doing a dozen or so figure-8's while in reverse in an empty parking lot or other safe area.

I'll give that a try, as it is, I'm afraid something is going to snap, as it binds pretty badly....I guess it'll either free it up, or break something:grin:

Once I get it cleared up. I plan on changing the gear oil in the tranny...

I'll give that a try, as it is, I'm afraid something is going to snap, as it binds pretty badly....I guess it'll either free it up, or break something:grin:
If you haven't already done so, verify that the tires are properly inflated and the same circumference (within 1/4 inch).

Once I get it cleared up. I plan on changing the gear oil in the tranny...
Okay, although the viscous coupler is a separate sealed unit and doesn't share oil with the trans.

If you haven't already done so, verify that the tires are properly inflated and the same circumference (within 1/4 inch).

Already done that;)

Okay, although the viscous coupler is a separate sealed unit and doesn't share oil with the trans.

It is...?

There is only one place to drain, and one place to fill the manual tranny, so where does the viscous coupler get it's lubrication from?

Got a exploaded view anywhere...?

Thanks for the help

Huck, this may be a little off-topic, but if you have 'hi performance' plans for this vehicle anyway - check out the center diffs from www.boxer4racing.com .

just fyi

good luck

Carl

Thanks for the link Carl,

But just makeing a "Mock" RS Daily Driver, all stock drivetrain...

It'll look fast:cool: ....and get good milage....I'll save my mods for FrankenWedge, my EG33 powered XT6:grin:

since i know you, i know you've already done this but might check/change the trans/gear fluids since you've gotten it. i've heard of people running the manual box with ATF for a bit, but never done it myself. all the wheels/tires are the same size and spin freely when lifted (check the fronts)? do you think maybe the car sat for this extended period because of the binding?

since i know you, i know you've already done this but might check/change the trans/gear fluids since you've gotten it. i've heard of people running the manual box with ATF for a bit, but never done it myself. all the wheels/tires are the same size and spin freely when lifted (check the fronts)? do you think maybe the car sat for this extended period because of the binding?

Hey Gary,

The car was sitting due to a light hit in the front, which cracked the radiator, and broke a headlight.

I swapped in a good radiator, and fired it up and drove it home.

I have checked the Dia of the wheels, and even swapped on another set of wheels (a set of WRX rims) but didn't think to check the fronts while it was lifted, but did check the rears, which turn fine...

I plan on changing the gear oil, but would like to get it un-bound first, as I'm sure it'll cause excessive wear untill it's all smoothed out, so fresh lube now will just get ruined....or at least as I see it...

[...]There is only one place to drain, and one place to fill the manual tranny, so where does the viscous coupler get it's lubrication from?
The fluid has very high viscosity; it's quite different than gear oil, and is isolated from it. There have been some variations, but one type uses a silicone-based fluid. The fluid's usually not changed, and the later units can't even be disassembled. However, apparently some Australians have been known to open the earlier units...

Got a exploaded view anywhere...?
...see this ("Liberty" = "Legacy"):

http://www.mrtrally.com.au/performance/viscous_coupling.htm

I'm fixing up a 95 Impreza Coupe, 1.8 AWD 5-speed, 56k

The car has been sitting for a few years, and it starts and runs fine, but is binding like the center diff is locked... (fine when going straight, but binds when turning)

Anyone ever have this happen to one that's been setting a long time?

And if so, did it finially free up after driving it a while?

I can't imagine it's a major issue in the tranny, as with only 56k on it, and a stock EJ18 in front of it, couldn't have been abused too much...:rolleyes:

Could be in the front diff...but feels like a center diff issue...

The rear wheels spin free with the back end jacked up (opposite direction/open diff), but I haven't checked the front ones yet.

Any thoughts or advise is welcome...;)

Torque bind in a manual is terminal. It's like finding out you have cancer and 3 days to live. The viscous coupling is cooked. There is no longer any slip between plates. You need either a new VC assembly with the center diff, or a used transmission.

Unlike automatics, there is no way of rectufying this or trying to make it work.

The viscous coupling is a sealed unit within the tranny and it does not use the gear oil.

nipper

you know Huck i have had 2 95 1.8 AWD 5 speeds and to be honest with you...they both were very tight. I just drove them and over time they seemed to loosen up a little to some extent. One car in particular was very tight when it was cold outside and cold from overnight rests.

Drive it...change the fluid and keep driving it. :headbang:

you know Huck i have had 2 95 1.8 AWD 5 speeds and to be honest with you...they both were very tight. I just drove them and over time they seemed to loosen up a little to some extent. One car in particular was very tight when it was cold outside and cold from overnight rests.

Drive it...change the fluid and keep driving it. :headbang:

Thanks Matt,

That’s probably what I’ll do, and hope it loosens up some with some use.

The tranny is tight, and shifts great, and is a low mileage unit so I hate to replace it.

So... I'll drive it till it frees up, or breaks….if it breaks I’ll replace it then.:rolleyes:

Ought to go like a tank in the snow like this..

Thanks for the schooling on the Viscous Coupling, always things to learn…:)