Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Dragging stuff out of the woods

WoodsWagon

Every time I go out wheeling, I pack a bunch of trash up and haul it out. One of the benifits of a wagon, you might say. I've moved some strange things in my time, such as propane grills, doors (house and car), tires and wheels, wheelbarrows, batteries, engines + transmissions, and of course, the ever-present beer cans. I've called in backup to haul things like motorcycles, riding mowers, and refrigerators. My latest endevour is hauling cars out of the woods. I pulled a 70's Civic with no motor, and no wheels out of the woods thursday. I had to use the stretchy strap, to get enough momentum to pull it through the trees. Today, I was pulling a VW beetle down the powerlines, It had no roof, motor, or wheels, and it was putting up a fight. Flats were fine, but the hills were killer. The VW ripped in half on one hill, so I dragged the front half to the bottom of the final huge hills. I'll go back tomorrow and drag the rear half to the same spot. There's a chevette and what looks to be a ford? down there too. The ford? is in two halfs and heavily crushed by cars. I'll need to borrow a friends K2500 to pull the cars up the last hill, the subi just can't get the traction. Mabe I should make a tow dollyish thing to put under the cars so they drag easier.

It's a good excuse if your wheeling in questionable territory. Who's going to complain if you're hauling junk out?

Hah, dont think so. Actually, the few times he did pull me out, it wasnt anything serious. It was pretty lame. Got stuck in a snowbank......more than once:rolleyes:

The pic above is when he blew his tranny at Evans Creek. And what you cant see is a full size van on my right. He was hooked up to me and pulling also. There was a big patch of ice down a ways and we couldnt get any traction at all. But I did pull him all the way out to the parking/staging area:headbang:

Pics compliments of Zapar.

Ok, just rememberd another time. It was when I first got the Hatch and thought I would try this area down the street from me. It had lots of mud and some deep holes. I was trying to turn around to come out and I dropped a front tire in a hole and a rear tire in a hole. I got stuck bad because my rear diff wasnt welded yet. Glad I had my cell phone....Thanks Qman.

kudos to 91 loyale for taking it upon himself to clean up someone elses junk :clap:

i'd offer my help if my job wouldn't keep changing my days on/off...

maybe if i gave them a weeks notice not to schedule me certain day(s) it'd help...

were abouts are the areas were your pullin this junk out of?

• 2 weeks later...

15" 6 hole Chevy wheels. You knock out 2 of your studs, put the wheel on the hub/rotor and mark the 2 holes where the studs were.

Then you need to fab a 10" lift to fit 30x10.50x15 Superswampers under the car:grin:

Check out my photos in the Gallery, theres more pics of my Hatch there. It has a few other mods under it too:brow:

Need a little extra traction??? Just weld up your rear-end in teh old subie! It's S.O.P. with my friends and our EA81's. very easy to do too. and they still handle great on the road... parking lots, not so much. Getting stuck is a thing of the past now, you just can't be afraid to get on it, and rev it out to 6-7 G's (assuming you're in an EA81) Its amazing what can happen:headbang:

The 3 cars are on hold... the hill's too slippery to be driving a loaded truck up.

However, i'm finding other junk to pull. I was trying to roll a SBC into the back of my car. Well, fully dressed cast iron V8, lifted wagon, one person trying to lift it. Wasn't happening. Those things are heavy! I tried rolling it up a plank, but it kept breaking. There's a freezer chest out there among other things.

My favorite local private wheeling spot has turned into a party spot. apparently last summer, a buddy left his old full size blazer there for a day (literally, less than 24 hours) because of something trivial (not sure what it was...). anyway, they came back later the next day, and someone had COMPLETELY stripped it. body mangled and thrown in the mud hole, axles and tcase gone, engine and trans destroyed from being dragged around, interior destroyed, etc. etc.

SO, it inspired me to clean it up. it's always had a few appliances, and some tires, etc. but not too bad, but when we stopped there over winter break, I realized it had turned into a total dump. so this summer, when me and my buddies are in town from school, we're going to clean it up. It'll be a major project...but I think it'll be worth it!