Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ swap under way

well i got the SJR adapter kit, brought home my new 98 EJ22E engine from work today, bolted up the adapter plate and that was about it for tonight before it was too dark.

gonna get the FI loyale fuel pump from work tomorrow so i can swap that in. then start pulling out my old EA82 engine and trying to fit in a legacy radiator.

hope to drop in the EJ sunday sometime then get everything hooked up and wait for the arrival of my new engine harness from chux i think tomorrow ill do the nose job (timing belt, water pump, seals) as well as the kidney gasket and rear main.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

coming right now, and with my new Nikon D60 ill take every picture i can and MANY MANY of them so it makes it easier on people like me who need alot of visual aids when doing things like this.

DSC_0522.jpg

DSC_0523.jpg

DSC_0528.jpg

DSC_0529.jpg

^bye bye you running on 3 cylinder boat anchor

oh and these showed up today as well

DSC_0525.jpg

DSC_0526.jpg

ya i got them from ebay, deal-monger, 39.99 shipped and no tax on them, rather pleased with that buy, these are driving pattern, thinking of ordering another set in yellow fog as well.

Yeah that's a good price. I plan on getting a set when I get some extra cash. Anyways, looking forward to seeing the pictures of the progress of the swap!:banana::banana:

Nice camera, and more importantly

nice work with it.

Thank you so kindly sir for resizing the pictures before posting.

It's way kewl to see some one helping with pictures

and being so kewl as to not let them blow off the screen.

Please do keep us updated.

killer price on the Hellas

I have them on all my drivers.

The driving light style work great when

wired to come on with the high beam.

They fit in the Outback fog light hole perfectly

hellas.jpg

nufront.JPG

no problem skip, i know it bugs the crap out of me when i have to scroll around on my laptop just to see the subaru emblem because its so large so i try to be considerate about it.

and ya ive never had a set of lights that where worth a dam so when i saw these for $39 i had to get them. might be getting another set in yellow fog for our crappy seattle weather.

thanks ya i take ALOT of pictures as i do projects like this one, because i am a very visual person so it helps me alot if i was someone else and saw them doing this i would want alot of pictures as well.

anyways tonight didn't get much done, got my intake manifold from my work as well as the cam, crank, and knock sensors and installed. also got the intake piping, MAF, and air box.

brought home a header but it was bent and didn't see it until i tried to install it.

so, tomorrow ill send the wiring to chux, get another exhaust manifold and install, pick up the intake manifold gaskets and install the intake and intake tubing/box. then ALT and belt (still have to find one since im only running a ALT and no PS or AC. then stop by and get a aftermarket slim fan for the engine, thinking 600CFM will be enough.

As i'm sure you're aware. The motor you're using is OBD II. LOTS of differences with the wiring. However, I am very jealous as this is the model of car that I did my EJ22 swap on several years ago and then sold to my brother. When you get the exhaust done, go with 2.5 inch, it makes it sound really cool. Mine had the cheaper version of a flow master on it.

i know the long block is OBD2, i work on subaru's for a living so i know all about them.

but im using a 94 wiring harness and intake manifold so that makes it OBD1.

im going to make a custom exhaust manifold because this is the single port exhaust and go to a 2.25inch exhaust.

i know the long block is OBD2, i work on subaru's for a living so i know all about them.

but im using a 94 wiring harness and intake manifold so that makes it OBD1.

im going to make a custom exhaust manifold because this is the single port exhaust and go to a 2.25inch exhaust.

Does the OBD1 system make it a lot easier to do the swap?

Does the OBD1 system make it a lot easier to do the swap?

not really. the OBD II uses slightly more wires, and a couple extra sensors (MAP and some solenoid on the passenger strut tower...), and WILL NOT work correctly without a VSS. but the way the harness is laid out, it's much easier to install.