Ultimate Subaru Message Board

gas mileage questions

Just pondering...... What are ya'll getting mpg wise in your Loyale's and Gl models? What kind of plugs are best in these cars, and is there any noticable difference in plugs with performance and a better coil ie., Accel, and what should I expect to see. My car runs very, very well, and I don't want to screw it up, just enhance what I got. I'm using the Bosch double electrodes, and am getting almost 400 miles to a tank on the hwy, 320-340 in town, and it's cold here too!!!

That's pretty decent fuel economy. My parents' old 87 would usually run almost 500 miles to a tank on the highway, but that was with really conservative driving. Mine usually gets about what yours does when I'm not driving it hard (which is maybe 10% of the time).

Nothing but NGKs.

Multi-gap plugs are a waste of money on a stock motor. Electricity will always take the path of least resistance, only one gap will fire.

The Accel coil is well worth it, but you need to open the gap on the plugs to take advantage of the hotter spark. I run .050.

That sounds like excellent mpgs, though. How big is your tank?

Buddy, I'm replying to your pm here because I believe it's relevant to the post.

The Accel SuperStock coil puts out probably at least double the stock coil power which really helps the gas burn better and more completely. They come in yellow and chrome (the C on the 8140 is for *chrome*) but are internally identical. Connecting them is a whiz, direct bolt-on replacement. The only possible problem may be with an older points ignition. Also be sure your distributor cap has a breather vent. Most of them do now days.

I noticed quicker starts, less lag off idle, more grunt in the lower rpms and also at passing speed, and also at least another couple MPGs.

I don't know why Subarus prefer NGKs, but I've had terrible results with any other brand, except Bosch platinum. The NGKs worked just as well and lasted just as long, so I can't justify the extra cost.

Originally posted by pm128

What would cause bad gas milage?

I got a 86 turbo(3at) and I only seem to get 19-20 mph hwy...

it sucks.. andy ideas wht I should check..

I have new plugs, wires, dis cap, and an accel coil..

P

Thats about all I ever got out of my 3AT turboWagon.. that combo of turbo and slushbox is terrible for gas mileage. If you want your mileage to go up, drive like an old lady.. don't engage the turbo.. if you want it to go up higher, slap in a 5 speed.. thats what I did.

Originally posted by Erik R

Only getting 240 miles on a 12 gallon fill-up...............

Still "surging" and now pops out of the throttle body.....feels just like a lean pop on a carbed engine...............

That sounds like a vacuum leak. Have you checked for error codes? The surging could be caused by the EGR solenoid.. notorious for going out. Have you checked for old cracked hoses? Pulled your plugs to check for signs of running lean?

my 87 was getting about 20 last time I clocked it, I ran a bottle of Techron through it, helped a little, but I didn't run it through on a full tank, so I think I am going to go get another bottle of it and see if it helps, since it went up a little bit with just that half a tank, but I know it should get at least 30 on the freeway, right?

that sucks... well at least I know there is nothing super wrong with my car.. I dont want an manual, already have a manual z, and I use the subie when I'm lazy or going skiing and ussuallly I' too grogy in the morning to want to shift. :rolleyes:..

Originally posted by Hondasucks

my 87 was getting about 20 last time I clocked it, I ran a bottle of Techron through it, helped a little, but I didn't run it through on a full tank, so I think I am going to go get another bottle of it and see if it helps, since it went up a little bit with just that half a tank, but I know it should get at least 30 on the freeway, right?

Never seen a TurboWagon get 30.. Hell.. coming downhill from the rockies(13000 ft), that tankful only averaged out at 25mpg or so.:mad:

My wife drives our GL-10 turbo and it has an automatic. She routinely gets 24 around town and on our vaction trips it has gotten 32 on the highway. My manual gl turbo only gets around 20. Hers is stock and I have the accel coil and bosch plugs 050 gap and a K&N filter. Go figure. My friend is a subie mechanis and he said he has never seen a turbo get the mileage my wife gets and she isn't easy on the gas either. Oh well at least the cars are very dependable.