Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Have You Done to your Soobie lately? (Please post in here and keep it going)

Ricearu

I added some LED Marker lights. Uses the same mounts and lenses but with a LED instead. Not much for a modification but cool nonetheless..

20091218202031-4.jpg

i also Installed a Vallet Keyless entry and remote start to the vehicle.. that was a while ago, i thought i posted it but i guess i didnt..

-Justin

My slotted brembos arrived this afternoon so I finished the 5lug conversion in the rear on my roo. I had some clearance issues on one side, had to grind down the caliper bracket a little to keep the bracket from dragging on the backside of the rotor. Gonna have to figure out how to run the parking brake cable so I can do the fronts. Looks silly with 4lug on the front and 5lug on the rear.

finished her up today..

dcae5605-38c6-4eb4-b7fa-1339feed09ce_568x426r0.jpg

60dcfba5-4dfb-4989-8549-784c58f232ff_568x426r0.jpg

f76bcbb3-ac91-4d43-ba40-a4bc9095fa4d_568x426r0.jpg

just a few minor things to finish up cosmetically (shift boot for instance) and need to hook up the reverse lights and it'll be good to go.

the shifter console piece is painted with 3m bedliner, ithought it looked kinda cool, plus... didnt have enough of it to cover any other area to make it worth the effort

so nice having a 5spd again!!:banana::banana::banana:

Gotta give mad props to Miles Fox for helpin me with this project, i sure as hell couldnt have done this by myself! although now i have alot more confidence in what i know about these old subarus after this. fox.jpg

Having that A/C line across the back of the engine bay must make things hard to work on...

On the RHD models, that line comes out of the compressor & in through the firewall where your brake master is (ours is the other side), but this means that the A/C pipes all run the LHS of the engine bay, instead of doing a circuit.

One thing I've got to ask. Where does the clutch cable come out?

The pedal positions for LHD & RHD are the same, so this means our clutch cable come out over near the transmission tunnel with no wheel arch/strut tower in the way.

Having that A/C line across the back of the engine bay must make things hard to work on...

On the RHD models, that line comes out of the compressor & in through the firewall where your brake master is (ours is the other side), but this means that the A/C pipes all run the LHS of the engine bay, instead of doing a circuit.

One thing I've got to ask. Where does the clutch cable come out?

The pedal positions for LHD & RHD are the same, so this means our clutch cable come out over near the transmission tunnel with no wheel arch/strut tower in the way.

The AC lines werent TOO much of a hinderance. the whole AC Unit/Alternator bracket can come off the engine and swing up out of the way and be secured with a bungee cord ontop of the drivers side shock tower. the AC could have been removed, but since it works ( and really well i might add) i wanted to keep it. :)

Edit: the AC lines did however make it a little harder to get at the starter and bellhousing bolts from that side if you arent too familiar with where they are by feel, or having somewhat wide hands such as mine. :/

The clutch cable comes out of a previously plugged hole right below the master cylinder on the drivers side.

So the clutch cable has some kind of pivot mech off the pedal to bring it further across?

Obviously, I've never to worry about it, but yeah, usually unbolt compressor from engine & hang off to the side, but don't have to worry about contacting the AC lines with the gearbox when removing the engine/gearbox as a complete unit.

So the clutch cable has some kind of pivot mech off the pedal to bring it further across?

Obviously, I've never to worry about it, but yeah, usually unbolt compressor from engine & hang off to the side, but don't have to worry about contacting the AC lines with the gearbox when removing the engine/gearbox as a complete unit.

hmm, from what i recall, the cable just fed thru the hole and curved around to the top side of the trans, pivot of any type that i can remember.

we pulled the engine and trans as 2 separate pieces, engine out the top, trans out the bottom, had a new tranny jack we wanted to use. with the tranny jack we had to use the engine hoist to lift of the car by the cross member for clearance to roll it out. worked pretty good.

Edited by xbeerd

GOt her running again monday YEAHH took her out for a long ride today got stuck after a accident and waited 20 minutes no overheating first time that she has sat so long in traffic and not thought about overheating since before last summer. (I do not sit in traffic often) I could have turned it off when I was waiting but I wanted to see what she would do 2hr drive and she just burns a little oil...... not sure about that one.....

should have said leaks a little oil. Smoke is white upon start up then clear. Oil burns off parts on passenger side near alot of the gaskets there is so much oil cannot tell which spot it came out of Also it lost so much oil when the heads went that it coated everything so I am not sure what is new and what is old. EA82. knowing my luck the Head gasket didn't seal all the way when I did them and it is coming out there. But right now I am not worring to much about it it is about 1/2 qt of oil for about 200+ miles of driving. not too bad Unfortunatly until the heads went it did not leak oil at all so I probably messed something up when I put it back together or when the heads went some other gasket? went too. BUt the water levels are great not loosing any at all. Should probably clean it all off but so busy right now and just happy she is back on the road.... The overheating this summer was mostly due to the spot under the weber carb, then a bad radiator and various hoses leaking one right after another then one opened up and she blew the heads. (hindsight says I should have changed those hoses when I did the radiator..... but...they looked so good and the guy we bought it from said he changed them all recently.. )

well - hate to say it, but have been stripping my old GL of any useful parts. the salt cancer has gotten to her so badly that she isnt safe to have on the road anymore. :-\ (front subframe is so rotten that the jackstands went thru!! :eek: have to use 2 stands & a 2x4 to spread the weight on)

Soon she will be gone :( - but never, ever forgotten!!! :headbang:

Edited by heartless

Didn't work on my roo, although I did take some pics with my new camera I got for Christmas:

img_0039.jpg

I think it looks good with the XT6 wheels on it, but my brother will not part with his. :-(

Missing somthing?

img_0038.jpg

Yes, that's snow in Arizona! Doesn't happen very often, but it does every once in a while.

"Need For Speed" ? Well if you consider 75mph "Speed" then I guess Lol!

I like how the XT6 wheels look on it too, they also look good on 1st gen Legos.

-Tom

hah, i WAS gonna comment that the "something missing" was referring to the speed and the banner should say I NEED SPEED rather than NEED FOR SPEED. hehe. but i held back, until now i guess.

Yeah, the previous owner had this need for speed. I plan on fixing that. Although with that ej22 under the hood, it's not exactly a slow car anymore. He said he surprised many a ricemobile with it. Poor little honda boxes.....they just don't understand that torque rules.:burnout:

It's a shame he killed that engine: 80mph @ 5psi oil for about 60 miles - rod knock FTL, but, that's the perfect time for upgrades!:grin:

Edited by subynut

Yeah, the previous owner had this need for speed. I plan on fixing that. Although with that ej22 under the hood, it's not exactly a slow car anymore. He said he surprised many a ricemobile with it. Poor little honda boxes.....they just don't understand that torque rules.:burnout:

It's a shame he killed that engine: 80mph @ 5psi oil for about 60 miles - rod knock FTL, but, that's the perfect time for upgrades!:grin:

ah, well ya never said it had an ej22... so it aint all THAT bad! :grin: