Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The tally thus far..... '96 Legacy FROM HELL

As some of you have read in other posts concerning this particular automobile, I bought a '96 "L" series Legacy to flip. Got it for $750 with supposedly a "bad clutch". As the car only has 113k on it and books for over $2500 in this area I figured it would be a slam dunk.

I completely underestimated this car.

So far:

1. BAD clutch. Down to rivets, flywheel and pressure plate wasted.

2. Bad transmission. Blown 2nd gear. Drive and driven gear's completely eaten.

3. Bad transmission #2 (first replacement). Input shaft bearing wasted - cage cracked and inner/outer race has 1/4" of play. My bad - I should have more throughly checked it out.

4. All 4 front axle boots blown.

5. Bad front driver's side wheel bearing. 1/8" of play. Very loud.

6. Water pump leaking, overdue for timing belt.

7. Stereo was stolen, surround broken, cup holder busted.

8. Front alignment is WAY off and inside edge of both front tires is down to the belts.

What is up with Subaru's quality? If this thing had higher mileage or was older I could see it, but jeeez. I'm getting real sick of this albatross. Cross your fingers - hopfully I sell it tonight and maybe break even :rolleyes:

GD

i would chalk this one up to extremely poor maintenance. it's not like all of that stuff failed at once, they were obviously just driving and driving and had no cares. i could hazard a guess they weren't "easy" on the car either during that time. good luck getting rid of that brute.

I feel the same way with mine. I haven't put much into it yet, but every time I turn around I find something else I need or want to do for PM. I think the "planned" list is up to about $1400 now. :eek: I can junkyard a few things for the time being but that just makes it cost more in the long run. Eventually I'll have to buy new parts if I don't want to be working on it every 3 weeks.

Well - it's sold. I have a few loose ends to tie up, but she liked it. Got her first lesson on driving a stick too :lol:.

So now to fix the tires/alignment and do the timing belt/WP. Soon I'll be rid of this monster!

There goes several weeks of my life I'll never get back :rolleyes:

Gone are the days you can buy an old Subaru for $1000 or less and keep it on the road for peanuts. Shame.

GD

And I did fix a lot of it with used parts. But I don't do used clutch's, timing belts, water pumps, or axle boot's. No Beuno. I get pretty decent prices, but clutch, flywheel machine, timing belt/WP kit, and axle boots.... that's $257 right there...... add the fluids I've replaced - motor oil, gear oil, coolant.... some shop supplies. Hell I'm over $300 right there. You really feel good about using used stuff here?!? And selling the car?!?!? :eek:

I put in a used tranny (two of them actually :rolleyes:) and had to change the diff to match - that was $200 from a board member (known history, low mileage, and came with diff to match - I consider that a good deal). Where are you getting u-pull-it transmission's for that cheap? Here they are $129 plus core.....

I put on a used wheel bearing/knuckle from u-pull-it. Not a common failure so......

I will get two used tires but I still have to pay for an alignment.

I don't think you could have done this car *right* for $300 in parts. At least not around here you couldn't have. I will NOT sell crap, and used wear items is crap IMO. This car is also going to a friend's daughter - as much as I want to make a big profit I won't screw someone over.

GD

No one capabale of weilding a screwdriver has ever given this car the time of day. :rolleyes:

I beleive the mileage. It *feels* right despite the failure's and lack of maintenance. The way the engine runs, cosmetic's, and just the overall presence of the car is inline with 113k.

The guy I got it from was out of work, moving to a new place after living on a relative's couch, and didn't need the car as his other half was given a Civic or something. He had bought the car from his sister and had never registered it - so I have the title in her name signed off by him..... the guy was a total wreck of a human being - he didn't even clean out most of his stuff from the car - full of crap and about 3 tons of sunflower seed shells..... no, I'm 105% that no one ever changed the cluster on this poor thing. It was just abused.

Amazing that it survived these people long enough to find a new home with me. Kind of like an abused animal from the pound I guess :rolleyes:... or maybe I'm the poor sap running the pound.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

Oh...so it was previously owned by a woman.

I'll probably get flamed to hell and back for this one :rolleyes:

My Teal 92 SVX was a one owner car and it was a female.

It has 101+++ on it, but it ran like it was 300K.

I dont think the oil was changed after the 60K check up.

Had a horrible rod knock, but still ran.

And of course the tranny was toast, but I cant blame that one on her.

And the guy only had the car since 105k. So the first 105k (presumably) was his sister. :lol:

I only have suspicions... but there is a spot on the leather shift knob of my SS where the leather is nearly worn through - exactly where a woman's ring would sit.....

165k - melted cylinder liner (no joke!), blown turbo, blown radiator, blown heater core :rolleyes:. Beutiful interior and exterior :lol:.

GD

And the guy only had the car since 105k. So the first 105k (presumably) was his sister. :lol:

I only have suspicions... but there is a spot on the leather shift knob of my SS where the leather is nearly worn through - exactly where a woman's ring would sit.....

165k - melted cylinder liner (no joke!), blown turbo, blown radiator, blown heater core :rolleyes:. Beutiful interior and exterior :lol:.

GD

Blown Turbo? yeah I bet. Turbos are not for the casual/negligent motorist... a used car with a turbo would be off the radar for me. Not something I'm gonna take a chance on.

And I did fix a lot of it with used parts. But I don't do used clutch's, timing belts, water pumps, or axle boot's. No Beuno. I get pretty decent prices, but clutch, flywheel machine, timing belt/WP kit, and axle boots.... that's $257 right there...... add the fluids I've replaced - motor oil, gear oil, coolant.... some shop supplies. Hell I'm over $300 right there. You really feel good about using used stuff here?!? And selling the car?!?!? :eek:

I put in a used tranny (two of them actually :rolleyes:) and had to change the diff to match - that was $200 from a board member (known history, low mileage, and came with diff to match - I consider that a good deal). Where are you getting u-pull-it transmission's for that cheap? Here they are $129 plus core.....

I put on a used wheel bearing/knuckle from u-pull-it. Not a common failure so......

I will get two used tires but I still have to pay for an alignment.

I don't think you could have done this car *right* for $300 in parts. At least not around here you couldn't have. I will NOT sell crap, and used wear items is crap IMO. This car is also going to a friend's daughter - as much as I want to make a big profit I won't screw someone over.

GD

I only buy used parts for cars I plan to sell. I have a huge stash of spares and always have a few cars around to swap parts from. Most of the cars I sell are 100,000+ mile cars and the parts are from 100,000+ mile plus cars so I don't see the big deal about it. I would never put bad parts on a car, but I want to make a profit, so yeah, I would put in a good used clutch and flywheel and used axles. Used transmission is 60 bucks no core.

but I want to make a profit, so yeah, I would put in a good used clutch and flywheel and used axles. Used transmission is 60 bucks no core.

I would do a used clutch, but my time is valuable too, and the time to pull one vs. the cost..... I paid about $65 for a new disc and I used a used PP that was on a car at the yard that had the transmission already out of it.... worn disc though. I wouldn't use used pilot or release bearings unless it was pretty obvious they were fairly recently replaced. Too far to go back in and replace them and again - not enough profit for the potential backlash.

I did use used axles - rebooted one of the original's ($24) and put in a used one with good boots on the other side.

But there's no way I'm going to put in a used timing belt, water pump, or idler/tensioner bearings. I can't give the buyer the correct maintenance interval if I do that. If they are due to be serviced or are failing (as is the case with this car), and I install used parts here - I can't give an honest idea of when they should be replaced in the future. That's called integrity - something I'm not willing to sell at any price.

If I end up doing a lot of these, I suspect much of my business will be word of mouth. And any potential savings from using used/substandard parts will be eaten up in poor reviews of my product. I want people to come back to me for repairs and to send their friends and relatives to me for some business. You don't build a customer base by selling a mediocre product.. That's my philosophy. We'll see how it works in practice....

GD

:-p

I can relate to the woman comment. My wife would fall into that category. When we first hooked up, all she did was to put gas into her Loyale and drive it. It got cleaned twice a year whether it needed it or not. PM was a foreign concept around her house as her folks behaved this way also. It's amazing that her Loyale lasted nearly 200,000 miles before we sold it at auction still running and inspected.

Obviously, marrying a gearhead, things are different now.

yeah, sure, slam the woman...doesnt matter that the greater majority are never shown how to take care of a vehicle, cause it isnt "a womans job" to take care of the vehicle.

I, on the other hand, DO know how to take care of a vehicle, so it doesnt bother me so much that women get slammed for this kind of stuff - because it is one of those 'Sad but VERY true' things...

and GD - definitely stick to your ethics on the wear items - used is ok on some stuff, but like you, I wont do used T-belts (unless as an emergency "get me home" measure to be replaced properly asap) & other items of that sort.

The Legacy LS I am driving now was seriously abused by its PO - blown airshocks, exhaust almost nonexsistant (scraped off driving with the blown shocks), T-belts & related - who knows, interior covered in long white pet hair (and kind of stinky)

A couple of months and many hours later I have been driving her for just over 2 yrs now - so far so good...