Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How much is it worth?

Not really. 1800$ is quite alot for a car with an ea82 in it. even with low miles the engine is somewhat unreliable due to Timing belts and it is very gutless.

You can get a 1st gen legacy for that kind of money. much more car that requires less maintenance. and that would be AWD (not sure how much it matters) or maybe a FWD but those are few.

fwd auto

$750

that is the dull of the dull. I don't know where they get off thinking that its worth almost 3k

auto transmissions can go out with just age too. the recommended service interval is 60k, I doubt its ever been done. that car probobly has brittle frictions and bands and 19 year old fluid

went and looked at it, the body and the interior were in A1 shape.

the motor however was not. it was knocking real hard, when i started it there was a knock that was getting louder as it warmed up, the oil pressure gauge started low and slowly went up to around 45. the engine is EA82. it was running rough so i disconnected the spark Plugs wires, one by one, 3 made it run worst but one made very little deference.

I made them a none binding offer of $400.00, is it worth buying and fixing?

THANKS to all for your help.

Edited by haksan

super clean car but i'd have to agree with everyone on the gutless boring part, i picked up my xt for about 300 bucks and havent had many issues at all. and is pretty clean shape, the problem is you are looking at a dealership car, look for private party. plus you once you get it you gotta think about timing belts, tensioners, this knocking issue. and it probly leaks oil like every other ea82.

i'd say if you want a suby look elsewhere, they'll kill you in dealer fees and such.

I'd say pass it up. 2wd subarus are only worth whatever you need the parts for for your 4wd one, up here.... seriously. I had a 2wd wagon, and it was lots of fun, and I took it offroading and all, but eventually sold it as parts because no one really wanted a 2wd subaru. And, unless it's got the 4 speed automatic, it's got a lousy transmission too. If it ran perfectly, it might sell for $1000 just because of the low miles, but with any problems... it's a parts car.

400 dollars is straight if the condition of the engine is relative to an improper timing belt repair, such as installing the once cam out of phase.

if you have a chance to diagnose this then it's and easy fix. make sure your noise is lifter tick and not rod knock, as it likely is.

i would almost bet this car was never serviced, then the timing belt broke. mechanic installed belt wrong, car goes up for sale. too common tale of 'rural' subarus