Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 2003 Baja. Was stopped a traffic light and got hit. I think the other driver may have passed out because I found her slumped over the steering wheel...had her seat belt on and air bags did not deploy. However, she did hit me hard enough to knock my rear view mirror out of whack, knock my glasses off, and throw the hat I was wearing off my head and into the back seat.

So, only a tiny scratch on my bumper....is there damage I should have my car checked for? Drove away ok, so there is nothing immediately obvious.

definitly get it checked. there could be underlying damage that isnt visible.. the plastic/rubber bumpers often spring back into place, but mounts and such underneath are broken. plus its not your fault, so if its paid for, you can just pocket whatever money her insurance co pays you.

Yes...I called the police...had about 6 police cars there before it was over. There were no witnesses that stopped. It was pretty obvious that the other car was at fault...police were very nice to me, did not question what I told them. One asked me if I smelled alcohol on the other driver. I can get the report Monday.

What kind of shop should I go to to have my car checked? Never had this problem before. Should I go to a mechanic or a body shop?

Edited by carolinagal

I got hit recently, again. Lazy Danish police force didnt' want to come and help me.

Anyway, yes I concur with the consensus. Get it checked out and documented. There will be damage. I bet your bumper doesn't sit right anymore, maybe just half an inch too far forward. The aluminium "crush box" behind the bumper has taken the biggest part of the collision force, but the metal frame and brackets that hold the bumper and crush box are probably also damaged. These parts are not cheap.

What about yourself? I got a concussion and a whiplash injury. But it does depend on the exact circumstances, like how you were sat, the weight of the two cars and so on.

You might want to have an authorised Subaru dealer look at your seats. The headrests should be of the the "anti-whiplash" type, meaning they jump forward to catch your head. This system will also need replacing.

Have the bumper checked carefully. Barely noticeable stuff now might mean peeling and flaking in two years or unsealed lenses, that would be annoying. Also the bumpers are multi-part pieces so if foam or something underneath needs replaced best to do it now and get it back to top notch in case you're in an accident again so it can do it's job, even if it looks fine.

Hope you're okay too. Much of the time people are just itching for money and drugs and that's the sad states of affairs we're in today - but there is a tiny percentage of truth in that some pains can come a few days later so be sure you're okay as chronic stuff is a terrible thing to deal with. It's usually abused but it can happen, so while I commend you for doing the right thing and not immediately looking up a lawyer - don't hose yourself either.

Thanks everyone for all the help. I did get checked out, had some mild headaches but better now and all is well.

The car is also good. There are 2 scratches on the bumper and a little crack in the corner. Everything behind it (I am told) is fine. The body shop, insurance adjuster, and a couple of other car people I talked to talked very highly of how strong and well built Subaru's are. After this, I too am impressed.

I love my Baja. I don't understand why they stopped making this one.

They should have done more advertising!!

It was doomed the moment it came to market. It was supposed to be the come-back of the Brat but they castrated all the cool parts. Made it a 4 door, etc. It should have been a 2 door, tall suspension, dual-range transmission, etc. As it turned out it was an Outback with no back roof :rolleyes:.

They were aiming for the 30-something crowd and what they got was the 50-something crowd. They didn't sell in the numbers needed to justify the production costs of the different body.

That's not to say there is anything "wrong" with them from a mechanical or safety standpoint - very solid machine just like an Outback. Unfortunately for sales.... too much like an Outback :-\.

GD

Was rear ended in front of the ford motor plant.

The baby blue buick just kept coming towards me and I was stuck in traffic.

I let go of the brakes as she hit and slowed her down an extra 10 feet.

My major concern was the dog in the back. which was OK!

The car was slightly bent in a bit but not so much as the hatch wouldn't lock.

No problem fixing it and with no Alignment Necessary.

I had a car bounce off me on a similar situation with a 1980 Volvo GL.