Ultimate Subaru Message Board

free a stuck caliper piston

I got a EA82 suspension set from a car that that had been sitting in a field for a while.The right front brakes were seized up about about as good as whats possible.the pads were frozen to the rotor,the pads were rusted to caliper,and the piston on the caliper is seized.What is the best way to free up a stuck caliper piston?

Ive tried hitting it,spraying with PB blaster, using a c clamp on it,but it still wont budge.

I got a EA82 suspension set from a car that that had been sitting in a field for a while.The right front brakes were seized up about about as good as whats possible.the pads were frozen to the rotor,the pads were rusted to caliper,and the piston on the caliper is seized.What is the best way to free up a stuck caliper piston?

Ive tried hitting it,spraying with PB blaster, using a c clamp on it,but it still wont budge.

Hi,

I guess you know that you can't just squeeze the piston back in, yopu must turn it clockwise back in.

just in the case you did not know this

how do you turn it?

Caliper piston rotating tool. About $5 to $10 at any auto-parts store.

There are also tools that can rotate the piston while applying pressure - some VW's and others pretty much require this.

If it's rusted like that it's probably junk as mick noted - though it depends on how far down the rust goes - if the pads were thick and the rust is only near the top of the cylinder and the top of the piston it should be ok at least for the first half of the pad life...... If you really want to free it up you'll probably have to heat it with an O/A torch and then dowse it with penetrating oil. You could also throw it in a bucket of ATF and leave it for a couple weeks. That might help. I keep used ATF around for such things.

GD

how do you turn it?

hi,

i have used needle nose pliars to turn them , open to 1 tip in each notch of the piston and turn it, if they are really stuck this might not work. but if you just squeeze it it will destroy the emergency brake parts.

Ok now I can't seem to get the brakes bled. The brakes have pressure when I pump it up,but if I let off then press again the pedal sinks to floor.Ive checked for leaks, but I can't seem to find any.I dunno I only touched the front brakes,so Ive only bled the front brakes.I wonder if I should bleed the rears?

Any ideas on how to get my brakes back?It sucks trying to stop right now.To stop I have to down shift and pull the E brake, while squeezing what little braking power I can get from the brakes..

no wheel cylinder.

hi,

you are going to have to take the rears off and repair or replace the cylinders, you have to be able to bleed the air. lot of guys put discs in back if the parts available, if not now, those cylinders are cheep get two and be on the road.

bleed the line at the wheel cylinder by undoing the line. i have done it this way to work around a broken bleeder. its not 100% but definately better tnan no brakes.

if your car is manual transmssion, hold down the clutch so fluid can move through thte hill holder to the rear.