Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Gen2 Brat as a commuter...

I've been using my '86 Brat as a commuter this week... getting 26.1 mpg! :banana:

it's got a 3" lift, and running 205/70R14 all-seasons on soob alloy wheels. rear discs. other than that, it's completely stock brat with only 93k on the clock... even the radio/tape player is stock....

Been using mine recently as well. 4" lift and a set of 215/75-15 General A/T's and a Weber bartender. Runs great and most of my drive is open interstate. I'm high 26's or better on average with mileage. I have a 120 mile per day round trip honk and the EA81 just purrs along. Won't win any races, but what the hell.

have you compensated for the larger tires?

IF you think you are going 26.1 miles on each gallon the bigger tires MAY be carrying you more like 29 miles. :slobber:

26.1 is the corrected value, but I'm happy with that for Iowa gas...

y not.

My owners manual states I should not use it unless it is 10% max, but even then, do not use it exclusively... And if I develop drivability problem to stop using it....

I occasionally get some, when that's all that available....

funny that there is so much corn grown around there but yet you dont use any ethanol in your fuel. Here in oregon we are 10% ethanol but the nearest corn for it is who knows how far away....

ethanol is bad for older type engines. The new engines in current cars are engineered to tolerate it.

But, it is really bad for most cars. It is proven it kill fuel injectors as well, and ethanol actually gives you about 5%-8% less mpg's on average tests.

The quickest way to kill your lawnmower engine, snowblower engine, or any other small motor is to put ethanol in it. Instead of an engine lasting 20 years, it cuts the life to about 5.

that is the truth. And it will kill your car engine eventually too.

Corn ethanol is BAD. to produce a gallon of Ethanol requires 5 gallons of water. Our drinking water supply is the Aquifier in the ground. Ethanol will eventually use up all our water supply here, and then what.

I really detest people who push ethanol. You guys that dont live where corn is the main crop just wont ever understand how bad it is.sorry, this is not the thread to discuss this, i just wanted to Agree with McBrat on his daily driver, getting 26.x mpg is because he is using regualr fuel. If he used ethanol, his BRAT would probably go down to about 22mpg and its engine life would be less.

Edited by bheinen74

funny that there is so much corn grown around there but yet you dont use any ethanol in your fuel. Here in oregon we are 10% ethanol but the nearest corn for it is who knows how far away....

I've heard (not sure how true it still is, this was about 10 years ago) that alot of ethanol in the NW comes from the paper pulp mill byproducts instead of corn.

ethanol is bad for older type engines. The new engines in current cars are engineered to tolerate it.

But, it is really bad for most cars. It is proven it kill fuel injectors as well, and ethanol actually gives you about 5%-8% less mpg's on average tests.

The quickest way to kill your lawnmower engine, snowblower engine, or any other small motor is to put ethanol in it. Instead of an engine lasting 20 years, it cuts the life to about 5.

that is the truth. And it will kill your car engine eventually too.

Corn ethanol is BAD. to produce a gallon of Ethanol requires 5 gallons of water. Our drinking water supply is the Aquifier in the ground. Ethanol will eventually use up all our water supply here, and then what.

I really detest people who push ethanol. You guys that dont live where corn is the main crop just wont ever understand how bad it is.sorry, this is not the thread to discuss this, i just wanted to Agree with McBrat on his daily driver, getting 26.x mpg is because he is using regualr fuel. If he used ethanol, his BRAT would probably go down to about 22mpg and its engine life would be less.

Interested in where your getting your info. I would like to be more informed. I only use it because its cheeper.

I've been using my '86 Brat as a commuter this week... getting 26.1 mpg! :banana:

it's got a 3" lift, and running 205/70R14 all-seasons on soob alloy wheels. rear discs. other than that, it's completely stock brat with only 93k on the clock... even the radio/tape player is stock....

How tough is the Rear Disc swap? I've got an 85 Brat and of course it has drums in back.

Nice mileage!!

And about ethanol. Where I live in Maine you can only get 10% ethanol :( Because of it I've had to re-adjust carbs on some small engines to make them run correctly, replace fuel hoses on the boats I work on, etc. The switch was awful.

How tough is the Rear Disc swap? I've got an 85 Brat and of course it has drums in back.

It's very easy! Check in the USRM, there's a great guide.

i always find it interesting that people keep saying that E10 10% ethanol fuel decreases MPG because i found it increased MPG

when i lived in northern australia i ran E10 in my brumby because i got an increase of 2 MPG....30 MPG on 91 octane....32 MPG (imperial gallons) on E10...and E10 was 10 cents per liter cheaper to boot

the hyundai excel i had also got better MPG on E10