Ultimate Subaru Message Board

just got a 3D STD

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm from Ohio, so I know the pain of never being able to find anything > 10 years old without rust on it.

this one isn't rust-free... but the rust that it does have is easily removable.

it wasn't a garage queen, but I bought it from the original owner who took somewhat good care of it. it probably looked better up until someone backed into it while it was parked on the street (bent the bumper and broke a corner lens... those are hard to find btw)

White '86 STD...exactly the same car I drove in college. Great car, I'm jealous. Was always fun taking it to the garage or wherever and telling them "yeah, I've got an STD I need looked at..." :) Thankfully, they left it off the badge.

You'll have to pretend it's an '80-'84 1.6 hatch whenever buying parts, though - otherwise you'll end up with a bunch of EA82 stuff that won't fit. Trust the man who got sold three sets of spark plug wires in one day once trying to find the right ones.

mine has carpet, a complicated dome light (it rotates and has a map/spot light in it)

I have 4 speakers (2 in the doors, 2 in the rear strut tower covers)

what is this slanted console? is there an advantage to it?

there are some spark plugs sitting in the car. they're new. came with it when I bought it... might use them, I doubt they've been changed in a while.

I did change the oil today though :)

5spd swap, spfi swap, adjust the lifters... you'll be seeing 45mpg highway. I'm in love with that car. Exactly like the one my dad had when I was a kid (except it was brown). We'd load that thing down with firewood till you couldn't even see out the back. Great cars.

mine has carpet, a complicated dome light (it rotates and has a map/spot light in it)

I have 4 speakers (2 in the doors, 2 in the rear strut tower covers)

That stuff could have been changed over the years and obviously you have an aftermarket stereo - the stock front speakers in a DL/GL would be in the dash not the doors (where that coin pocket is near your left knee and between the dash vents above the glove box) . 1600 with a 4 speed FWD is defintely a STD layout. Looks like you don't have *actual* carpet from what I can see - it's all rubber around the shifter in that picture. That's what I'm refering to - not the floor mats. The carpet they do have doesn't fully cover all floor surfaces and it's a more industrial, less plush version.

You defintely have a STD model. That's for certain. Some things have been changed/added but it's still not a DL.

what is this slanted console? is there an advantage to it?

They are rare and were only offered for 1 or 2 years - 80 and 81 models and only on 4WD's. The advantage is in how the radio is installed but it's not as big of an issue now that non-mechanical decks are on the market that are shallow and can fit the normal console.

there are some spark plugs sitting in the car. they're new. came with it when I bought it... might use them, I doubt they've been changed in a while.

I did change the oil today though :)

You should only use NGK plugs. If they are some other brand pitch them.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

it's been having a slight hesitation under load sometimes... almost like the timing is off? but it's not because it idles fine.

stalled after a car wash though... I think I got some water in some weird places. started fine after it was dry.

the plugs are Champion, which I've used a million times... what's wrong with them? plain old copper plugs...

5spd swap, spfi swap, adjust the lifters...

what's SPFI? fuel injection?

my ultimate plan is to swap an entire powerplant and suspension/hubs from a newer car (like a turbo 2.0L from a 02/03 WRX)... maybe a roof basket (a place to put the spare), diamond-cut headlights and a slightly better stereo.

weird question:

I'm paranoid someone will try to steal this car. what's the easiest way to wire up a kill switch without bringing a hot wire into the cabin? just a switch hidden somewhere that cuts out the positive from the ignition switch?

it's been having a slight hesitation under load sometimes... almost like the timing is off? but it's not because it idles fine.

Change the fuel filters first. Other than that it's probably wanting a carb refresh.

stalled after a car wash though... I think I got some water in some weird places. started fine after it was dry.

Distributor cap gasket is gone or shot.

the plugs are Champion, which I've used a million times... what's wrong with them? plain old copper plugs...

Subaru's don't like them. NGK is the gold standard for Subaru engines. 100% of the members here will tell you the same thing.

what's SPFI? fuel injection?

Yes but it won't fit your engine. Manifold is too long for the 1.6

my ultimate plan is to swap an entire powerplant and suspension/hubs from a newer car (like a turbo 2.0L from a 02/03 WRX)... maybe a roof basket (a place to put the spare), diamond-cut headlights and a slightly better stereo.

DOHC EJ turbo engines are very difficult to fit. Suspension requires custom work - it's not bolt-in. Very few people have done either of those with an EA81 (EA71) body.

I'm paranoid someone will try to steal this car. what's the easiest way to wire up a kill switch without bringing a hot wire into the cabin? just a switch hidden somewhere that cuts out the positive from the ignition switch?

Very unlikely it would be targeted for theft. Too old, too undesireable, and not 4WD. Best way to do a kill switch is to interrupt the ground signal to the fuel pump. They won't get far without gas.

GD

Subaru's don't like them. NGK is the gold standard for Subaru engines. 100% of the members here will tell you the same thing.

also, is there more info behind this? I mean if everyone says it's true it might be true ... but does anyone know why NGK plugs work better than anything else? I mean ... I'd just hate to throw out a perfectly good set of spark plugs. it's not like they're some generic brand... Champion has been around a while.