Ultimate Subaru Message Board

97 subaru impreza outback sport lift

Subalicious

Well I've sure dropped a few subaru's but never lifted one. I made some strut spacers and once I tried getting those little boogers in it seemed to me like I had to put the bodylift in or there was going to some big problems. Not sure if I'm looking at it right but would love some input. No one in my area has done this yet so I need your help. SJR was cool enough to offer a good price on a lift but I don't wanna get in the middle of this and need a bunch of parts I don't have:)

Outback or forester struts do a pretty good job also. I have outback struts on my 98 obs with 215/75r15 tires with rolled fenders and it only rubs when turning really sharp. The outback struts will lift it about 1.5" and the camber isn't too bad. The rears look fine and I adjusted the front in as much as possible and they look pretty good also. Gonna get some other camber bolts for it and get an alignment done. But yeah, swapped the rear top hats, and I was good to go. Check out my build thread for all the dirty details.

Thanks. You are working on the same car I em. The springs seem to lift it plenty! Just springs from a outback, some cut and roll, big tires nice. Would love to see the finished product. So you needed extended A arms so larger tiers don't rub? Didn't look like you realy changed the tires at all.

Edited by Subalicious

Not springs, struts. The spring seat is higher up on legacy outback struts, so it moves the ride height up (like moving the collars up on a coilover) and more importanly gives you more space between the hub and the spring seat so you can fit bigger wheels and tires in there. Bigger tires will rub on the rear spring seat if you don't switch to legacy outback struts.

The process has been gone over many times, with pictures, tips on options, and advise. Do a quick search.

I've lifted 2 1st gen legacys, 1 2nd gen legacy, 1 imp wagon, and an 02 wrx.

wouldn't anything that "lifts" the vehicles clearance be considered a lift? Some are more elaborate than others with blocks and steering extensions, and whatnot, but a lift is what it is... a lift. :lol:

I disagree.

Swapping struts is swapping struts. If it ends up higher after so be it.

But that isn't "lifting" a subaru in my book.

A true lift is more than just struts, or even strut spacers. But this is a sidepoint, and not terribly helpful to the poster so I'm gonna end it at that.

Outback or Forrester struts would be a great swap for this poster.

Struts are definiately a lift, just because they were a factory issued lift doesn't make them any less of a lift. Take a look at any IFS truck that has coilovers in the front, by cranking up the spring perch they're lifting the truck.

The point of a lift is to make clearance for bigger tires, which is exactly what the outback struts do.

The subframe drops are necesary if you want to keep factory axle angles or install more lift out at the struts and not max out the axles. If you're content with the lift provided by the outback struts alone, then you don't need the subframe drop blocks, or the steering extension.

What subaru did was a 2" version of the BYB lifts for the earlier cars. They extended each strut, installed subframe drop blocks and longer bolts, and put an extended steering coupler on. It's the same thing.

I've also put a 4" lift in an EA82 if that makes you happy.

I disagree.

Swapping struts is swapping struts. If it ends up higher after so be it.

But that isn't "lifting" a subaru in my book.

A true lift is more than just struts, or even strut spacers. But this is a sidepoint, and not terribly helpful to the poster so I'm gonna end it at that.

Outback or Forrester struts would be a great swap for this poster.

a "lift kit" may be a true lift but by far, the majority of people have accomplished their lift by replacing the stock strut assemblies with taller ones. by your reasoning, installing 50mm spacers on top of the struts would also not be a lift because it didn't include body spacers, steering column extension etc., but people also "lift" their imps this way as well. Struts are a component of the suspension so i would categorize any modification of the strut to raise the vehicle as a lift. To the contrary, I don't think anyone would say they are installing taller tires to "lift" their vechicle. I think the advantage of the struts is that it actually gives higher clearance wherease a lift kit will push down the chasis and cancels some the gained clearance. Of course, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Look, I wasn't trying to step on anyones toes.

But there are literally a handful of truely lifted EJ series cars around.

Lot's of strut swaps. But on;y a few true lifts.

I was merely emphasizing the point that swapping struts is VERY simple and basically an afternoon job. It's changing parts......not lifting.

Building and installing a lift is more complicated, I only am trying to emphasize that point.

As someone who has actually built several kits now for EA and EJ cars......mostly EJs......I find it hard to hear others talk about how many lifts they've done......when really they are just talking about swapping struts......it's day and night differences.

Whats the difference between a body lift and a suspension lift?:rolleyes:

With a suspension lift, wouldn't you be able to utilize 'less' of your range of travel, and with a body lift, you 'potentially' could gain 'more' travel? Just looking at the axle in motion and thinking out loud.

Edited by Yo'J

Look, I wasn't trying to step on anyones toes.

I was merely emphasizing the point that swapping struts is VERY simple and basically an afternoon job. It's changing parts......not lifting.

Building and installing a lift is more complicated, I only am trying to emphasize that point.

As someone who has actually built several kits now for EA and EJ cars......mostly EJs......I find it hard to hear others talk about how many lifts they've done......when really they are just talking about swapping struts......it's day and night differences.

We get it! you're better than us:grin:

just because you have the equipment, materials, know how to build lift blocks, subframe etc doesnt mean you have to put people down because they are doing something that they can do themselves.

Yeah its simple, thats why people do it. Gained clearance is gained clearance no matter how you look at it and that is considered a lift IMO.

We get it! you're better than us:grin:

just because you have the equipment, materials, know how to build lift blocks, subframe etc doesnt mean you have to put people down because they are doing something that they can do themselves.

Yeah its simple, thats why people do it. Gained clearance is gained clearance no matter how you look at it and that is considered a lift IMO.

I'm not knocking the process at all.

In fact, I am a big proponent of these strut swaps.

Sorry, didn't mean to put anybody down, or suggest that this swap shouldn't be done.

Do it.....you'll love it.

But it's a strut upgrade.........not a lift.

Whats the difference between a body lift and a suspension lift?:rolleyes:

With a suspension lift' date=' wouldn't you be able to utilize 'less' of your range of travel, and with a body lift, you 'potentially' could gain 'more' travel? Just looking at the axle in motion and thinking out loud.[/quote']

Just adding stiffer/taller springs you are correct.....you'd lose some travel.

But to be fair, with the Outback Strut suspension upgrade, you will actually gain a bit of travel because the strut itself is longer.

how about we call the strut swap a "half lift" since a true lift still requires new struts? Also, I've seen some butt ugly "true lifts" and ask myself what was the point of that. I Haven't seen a "true lift" on a OBS since perhaps 2" with new struts is all we're looking for so we can put on a little taller tire. So, a true lift would maintain the exact geometry as before?

How about you just call it what it is a suspension lift or a body lift. in the subaru world a body lift is the way to go but if you have a full framed truck a body lift is cheap and for looks and a suspension lift is the way to go. for some reason there are so many people on this forum that are just so argumentative. i work on cars for a career so i dont really have time to know everything about 20 yr old subarus so i come here to find tidbits of information from people who obsess about subis, dont get me wrong or anything they are the only car i would ever own but in the real world of auto repair and diagnostics you probubly know alot less than you think you do, but thats ok. sorry this has nothiong to do with the tread just getting a little annoyed about the arrogance

• 2 weeks later...

in a few months ill be lifting a obs. best way to lift it is put it on a lift/jacks and drop everything (front and rear suspension, engine/cross member and tranny) moch up spacers and see if you like it youll be able to see what you need to do to make it work like extensions to brake lines and steering knuckle.

a lot easier said then done but i have found on here its sometimes easier to just get out there and do it instead of internet foul play.

i skipped 3 pages cause i got tires of reading after the first since it was an argument... are you trying to lift the rig or beef it up with heavier suspension?

• 5 months later...

any updates on this Mod? Im itching to get more clearance in my 97 OBS. Would I need anything more than the 96-99 outback struts and springs? I heard something about arm brackets too... And would forrester strusts/springs be higher?

• 7 months later...

I have done the body lift (legacy outback struts, sway bars, body spacers, trailing arm brackets, etc) to my 97 OBS and had it for over a year now. Even though you get more ground clearance at the oil pan with just a strut lift, I went with the body lift to bring the camber back to road/tire friendly angles. Ive been running 205/70R15's since the lift and had to trim and dent verry little to prevent rubbing. I'm currently in the process of trying to fit in a 215/75R15. I plan to add a 1/2" tophat spacer on all 4 struts, some wheel well corner trimming and lip rolling allong with a bit of firewall denting/pursueding. The front mudflaps have to go due to rubbing and maybe even a little cutting and or denting. The rear tire rubs on the front corner of the wheel well/fender. definatly have to bust out the cutting wheel on the fender.

How did your lift go?

Edited by impoutback 97

wow, all the fuss over whats a lift and whats not...

having spent hours and hours and weekends under ea81, ea82, legacy's installing 'Lift kits" breaking rusted bolts, tapping threads, rewelding body nuts, and on down the list..

i have to say in my opinion a strut sswap is a strut swap and a lift install is a lift install.. miles of difference in skill required, tools, time, energy, etc..

but on another note, i was going to lower my legacy wagon.. since i haven't lowered one yet.. but i think i wanna do a strut swap to gain a little clearance. but then i have to figure out what to do with my 05' wrx wheels and brand new tires.. :-\