Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Does a tire's speed rating matter?

I am getting a new set of tires for my Legacy. I am probably going to get a slightly larger size than the original as the 205/55/16's that I currently have show up as being faster on my speed than GPS. Anyhow, the tires that were on my Legacy were H rated. If I were to go to a T rated tire, other than not being rated for the faster speed, which I would never hit, would there be any other issues?

The reason that I ask is that I bought 4 Toyo's that have a 30 day return, but the same tire in a 205/60/16 is T rated rather than H rated. Or should I look at an overall larger size?

Thanx - Pete

Speed ratings are for just that, speed. Different tire compounds and constructions all affect a tires speed rating. If you don't plan to go more than the speed limit of your average interstate highway (65-70 mph in most places) then it doesn't really matter what speed rating you get as they're all well above the legal speed limits.

If you're concerned with wear and traction, pay more attention to the tires treadwear, traction, and temperature ratings. Tirerack is a good resource for info about all of the ratings that modern tires are graded on, and they have tons of other useful tire info as well in their Tech section. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=35

Subie speedometers seem to read 2-3 mph higher then actual speed. I think most car manufacturers do this. Yes, going to a slightly larger tire will make the speedo read 1-2 mph slower, and be more in agreement with your gps mph reading, which is highly accurate.

Subie speedometers seem to read 2-3 mph higher then actual speed. I think most car manufacturers do this. Yes, going to a slightly larger tire will make the speedo read 1-2 mph slower, and be more in agreement with your gps mph reading, which is highly accurate.

I'm running 205/60/16 it's about 3% taller than 55 series (original size) and I think it even feels better om bumpy roads

H ia 130 mph

T is 118 mph.

If you can get up to 130 PLEASE let us all know how :)

T is fine.

Terminal (in more ways than one, if there's no 'chute deployment!) velocity for a person in free-fall is about 130 MPH. I wonder what it is for a Legacy. :)

Edited by OB99W

On my VW diesel it calls for H rated. I put T's on one time. Squealed, washed out, etc. I do see triple digits but never over 125 or so. I'm cruising on an interstate for long stretches at high speeds. The tires would squeal on on/off ramps and locally when cornering. Wore faster too. Yes I checked the pressures, rotated, etc.

When I was considering the T's the fella at the tire shop recommended NOT going down to T's if you were used to the handling of the H's even if not doing high speeds. I only tried one set of T's so it could have just been that particular brand/model of tire.

The snow tires I get are T rated.

On a Suby I don't think the rating matters, you won't be going fast enough. And worst case they may make more noise or wear faster.

Tire shops especially the larger chains will sometimes refuse to install lower speed rated tires than the vehicle originally came with, all a liability/lawsuit thing of course. Even then exceeding the speed rating doesn't mean the tire will blow right away. It will take some time for it to heat up more etc.

The speed rating is sometimes chosen to select for better handling characteristics- a lower speed rating may give you a bit floppier response to quick steering inputs.

Practice a few emergency-avoidance maneuvers to see if there's a change in handling you need to get used to.

Dave