Ultimate Subaru Message Board

All hail the Subaru!!! Best snow vehicle EVER!!!

I'm in east-central Pennsylvania too and we get some, uhhh, interesting winter weather. My EA81's lifted are pretty good but I still say the absolute best vehicle I ever had for getting thru tough winter road conditions was my 88 GL 5-speed. Had 205-15" true winter snow tires mounted up, no lift, and that thing went anywhere, anyplace in any conditions.

hehehe - got to laugh at the stories. :lol:

I live in rust belt Wisconsin (grew up in northern Michigan) - snow here will be a given, just a matter of time at this point (supposed to be getting snow/sleet later today - oh yippee)

Have lived out in Washington, so i know what you guys are talking about (lived up in Marysville for 2 yrs) also lived in Georgia - want to talk about any kind of snow shutting things down?!?! absolutely HILARIOUS down there!

my favorite Subaru snow stories...

my current DD - 90 Lego LS wagon getting the engine bay PACKED full of wind driven snow a couple of winters ago (see avatar pic) and still starting/running until it warmed up enough to melt snow - then things got wet that shouldnt have - took a couple of days to get it all out! :eek:

as for driving in the snow...also my 90 LS wagon...

my mom had heart surgery almost 2 yrs ago (feb 08) spent the day visiting at the hosp - snowed most of the day and was pretty windy too...by the time I was ready to head home the main roads were pretty sloppy, but passable...turned onto the county road that leads to my house (min of 8 miles out this road, then 1/4 mile off on a dirt rd) as i left what passes for a town the road had more snow (no plow yet) as i got out into open field land - oh boy! drifting!! hard packed, wind driven drifts! and no one had been down that road in hours! no tracks of ANY kind to be seen anywhere! not even partially filled in tracks!

I had to drive in the opposite lane a few times to avoid drifts that were as tall as the top of my hood or taller (using barely visible fence posts as guides) but I made it home with no problems. :grin: Subaru AWD - FTW!!!

this winter should be interesting - if it follows the wet pattern we had all summer we are in for some SERIOUS snowfall....

Had another Subaru moment yesterday, shared it with a 05 WRX too!

Pulling out of the Walmart parking lot, the road goes uphill a little.

Just enough to get a minivan turning right stuck :rolleyes:

The WRX was 2 cars in front of me and when the light turned green we both pulled out at the same time and went around the van. I came along side of him and his GF and him were both laughing and he gave me a thumbs up.

Agreed! My DR 87 wagon was the best vehicle I've ever had for the snow. Now I've got a 93 Loyale, and it came with studded snow tires on old school Suby rims, and it's just unstoppable. I do miss low range though...

I also have an 83 4wd Toyota pickup. Awesome truck, but it does not handle nearly as well as the Subaru in the snow.

It's snowing here in Montana right now! Got a few dumps over the last week, and temps hovering above & below zero. I've been having fun driving around. :grin:

Agreed! My DR 87 wagon was the best vehicle I've ever had for the snow. Now I've got a 93 Loyale, and it came with studded snow tires on old school Suby rims, and it's just unstoppable. I do miss low range though...

I also have an 83 4wd Toyota pickup. Awesome truck, but it does not handle nearly as well as the Subaru in the snow.

It's snowing here in Montana right now! Got a few dumps over the last week, and temps hovering above & below zero. I've been having fun driving around. :grin:

+1 for the EA81/82s being unstoppable in inclement conditions.

We got some ice, but nothing to get worried about. The hardest part of my commute was opening the frozen door. I thought all of the rubber trim was going to pull out. :grin:

I used to live in Helena! New York that is! That place is wicked cold! 40-60 below in the snaps, ice storms so bad the house would sheet up and you'd have to hammer and axe your way in or out, where ever you got stuck. When I was there I had my eyeballs frostbite with goggles on and I only had a bike. The big grocery store was 20 miles away. Good times. Glad I was 18 then!:lol:

In 2004 when I got back to PA from AZ we got two feet of snow. The one road I had to go up was only plowed once when I got off of work so there was at least a foot of snow on it. I had a 20 mile drive from work to home. My 86 wagon had rain tires on it and I was passing Jeeps because they where unstable on the road. The low center of gravity really helps these cars go through snow.

:banana:

I can't wait for snow!!!!! Here in VT we get a ton :grin: I have complete ob suspension going in my 92 lego this weekend, it's going to be a great winter!! We have also in the past, had a 93 loyale with a plow we built, it was unstoppable until I blew the oil pump out of it and cooked the trans (it didn't like pushing a lot of wet snow)

Last winter I was in PA visiting friends. They all had crappy FWD cars, and I had my Legacy with studded arctic claws on. There had to be about 3' of snow on the ground and we were running out of food. Nobody's car would make it out... So I shoveled my self a path to my driver's door.

friend of mine said "Ten bucks I need to shovel you out". I accepted... After warming my car up I shifted into reverse, let out the clutch, and my car just backed right out of my parking spot. Snow had drifted around my car so much it was over the trunk lid. It was nice heavy snow too.

He just stood there in dumbfounded amazement. Said "I didn't think a car could do that".

+1 on the Hankook Ipikes, I put a set of 185 60 14's on the xt6 for my long icy commutes , should drive like its on rails after taking care of some alignment issues. Usually Im working the greater Seattle Tacoma area and would have been in those nasty commutes I saw on the news but ive been in Vancouver the last 9 months..... and I didnt miss the idiots at all:lol:

• 2 weeks later...

pssshh seattle pretty much shuts down if it snows more than 2" no offense, we got about 18" in a week or so over here in spokane, my 91 loyale is tearin it up, drifting around parking lots harder than a jeep wrangler, ford explorer and an f150, although the fwd toyota corolla there at the same time was doin pretty good. word to the wise, it warmed up a bit, slush is different than snow, you will hit ************, like a fence in my case lol