Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Shoot.

bigo1966

2" would probably be pretty good, just from an eyeball. Any idea how much of a difference in ride height you have compared to stock? The rear axles can safely take about 3" of extra height. On my first trip out with my old wagon, I had 5" extensions on the struts, and 1" blocks on the diff. I broke 2 axles in as many days (really....only half days before I wound up driving back to camp in FWD to replace an axle).

Also, you may consider seeing if you can get your hands on a pair of rear axles from an '85-'86 Ea82. they have DOJ joints on both ends of the axles, instead of one DOJ and one CVJ, which means they can telescope from both ends and get a bit longer. While a DOJ can't take as much angle, it seems the biggest problem with a lifted EA82 breaking rear axles is the one DOJ get's hyperextended.

I concur on the EA82 double-DOJ axles - I think that could go a long way to solving your problem. I have about 4" of suspension and 1" of body lift in the rear of my EA81 wagon and I also use EA82 DOJ's (deeper by about 1/2" each) and I haven't broken a rear axle in a while now. I'm also welded so it puts a lot of stress on them and EA81's are narrower so 4" for me is more than 4" for an EA82 (talking axle angles) since the width helps on the EA82's.

I had thought about using limiting straps as well since it seems that they most commonly break when the wheel is off the ground and the tire is spinning.

GD

Double DOJ vs CV/DOJ. The above info is great. This really helps. I beat the hell out of the buggyroo it also had longer travel rear setup with air shocks and I never had a problem. After a quick review of pics the buggyroo it had double DOJ's. IS it possible to swap a DOJ with a CV? I have 4 DOJ/CV's so could I possibly make a set of double DOJ's? Thanks again, this really helps.

It as a 4" lift, 5" front strut spacers, and my homemade rear coilovers. So really I have no idea how much over stock the rear suspension is, at least 3" would guess.

Edited by bigo1966

In the video:

That axle is on the worng way. The C/V is supposed to be at the outer end, the DOJ against the diff.

To make Double DOJ axles for EA82:

You need a set of shafts from a 85 or 86 model. These are double DOJ's from the factory. However the cups on them are shallow. Using DOJ's from later models will get you more "stretch".

The deeper cup you can use are from later EA82 (87-94).

For even more depth, early Legacy (90-94) rear axle inner DOJ's are even better.

**these joints can also replace EA82 non-turbo inner DOJ's**

In the video:

That axle is on the worng way. The C/V is supposed to be at the outer end, the DOJ against the diff.

To make Double DOJ axles for EA82:

You need a set of shafts from a 85 or 86 model. These are double DOJ's from the factory. However the cups on them are shallow. Using DOJ's from later models will get you more "stretch".

The deeper cup you can use are from later EA82 (87-94).

For even more depth, early Legacy (90-94) rear axle inner DOJ's are even better.

**these joints can also replace EA82 non-turbo inner DOJ's**

that's what I'm running on my wagon with the welded diff. laying side by side with stock ea81 axles, they look way longer, but they compress to the same length :)