Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2.5 to 2.2 converstion costs

So what should I expect to get if I have a quote for 2700 to do this job?

You should expect to shop around a little more for a better deal, thats crazy. Thats 2/3 the value of a 98 Forester.

It's good that you are fixing it, it's a great idea to swap to a 2.2 for longevity and reliability, but not at the cost of 2700. WOW>

Edited by bheinen74

That's really high. You should be getting a 30,000 - 60,000 mile EJ22 resealed valve covers, cam seals, crank seal, cam cap orings, oil pump resealed, water pump, timing belt pulleys, timing belt tensioner, timing belt, rear baffle plate resealed, PCV valve, spark plugs, and plug wires for that cost.

Dealers only charges $1,200-$1,500 to repair the headgaskets, is there a compelling reason you're wanting to double the cost to repair your vehicle?

Conversion costs can vary wildly due to costs of engines which can be all over the place and varies too. Some place overcharge for engines, $1,000. Others might be $300 but also have high miles. It's really hard to say it costs a certain amount but $2,700 is certainly way too high. So the place might not be able to source a reasonably priced engine.

Find out why the cost is so high and go from there. If it's labor then I'd think I'd shop elsewhere. If it's the engine then maybe you can source one and have them install it. Folks on here might even have something.

What makes a $300 junkyard 2.2 engine anything more than a core to do a complete overhaul on? Do folks really find these little gems regularly that you can just pull out and plunk in your car and motor happily down the road for another 100K? I mean what got them into the junkyard in the first place? And how well maintained were these 16 year old cars worth maybe $800-$1000 before they were scrapped?

I'm just sayin'... I see rebuilders selling the 2.2 as a premium engine, but can folks really expect to get a reliable engine out of most wrecks? We don't have nearly as many Subees in the yards here in AZ as you would have in SEA or DEN, so I'm asking.

well first, it is an amazingly hardy and robust engine. if you were designing one in the 80s for longevity and easy to work on. not needing a lot of repairs and reliability with timing belt changes every 60k, then this would be the engine. it's not picky, it does not break, it will run forever, and it is easy to work on.

the chances of pulling one from a wreck and getting a bad one do exist but from experience the risk is low. both engines i have installed have come from wrecks and both were noisy when first started. but both have turned out to be smooth running reliable engines.

i sometimes think that the ej22 is the perfect engine for the austrailian outback, especially if it was tied to a dual range trans.

hey, that might make a great commercial. :D

well first, it is an amazingly hardy and robust engine. if you were designing one in the 80s for longevity and easy to work on. not needing a lot of repairs and reliability with timing belt changes every 60k, then this would be the engine. it's not picky, it does not break, it will run forever, and it is easy to work on.

the chances of pulling one from a wreck and getting a bad one do exist but from experience the risk is low. both engines i have installed have come from wrecks and both were noisy when first started. but both have turned out to be smooth running reliable engines.

i sometimes think that the ej22 is the perfect engine for the austrailian outback, especially if it was tied to a dual range trans.

hey, that might make a great commercial. :D

I remember that Subie engines were used in ultra light airplanes, but don't know if that was the earlier 1.6, 1.8, or the 2.2?

What makes a $300 junkyard 2.2 engine anything more than a core to do a complete overhaul on? Do folks really find these little gems regularly that you can just pull out and plunk in your car and motor happily down the road for another 100K? I mean what got them into the junkyard in the first place? And how well maintained were these 16 year old cars worth maybe $800-$1000 before they were scrapped?

I'm just sayin'... I see rebuilders selling the 2.2 as a premium engine, but can folks really expect to get a reliable engine out of most wrecks? We don't have nearly as many Subees in the yards here in AZ as you would have in SEA or DEN, so I'm asking.

Rust is what kills most of the cars up here, so the loads of 2.2's in the yards where the car fell apart around them. You can also overheat the ************ out of 2.2's without damaging them, have the timing belts break without damaging them, and beat the piss out of them without damaging them. Pretty much the only way to kill one is to run it out of oil. So the chances that it's a decent engine in a junk car are pretty high. The last one I did was $320 for a waranteed engine already pulled from the car and on a pallet from the junkyard.

What makes a $300 junkyard 2.2 engine anything more than a core to do a complete overhaul on?

First of all - you have the wrong idea in your head. We aren't buying "unknonwn junk yard" engines. Most of us buy engines from "automotive recyclers" that are tested and come with a warrantee. Most of them come into the hands of these places because the car was wrecked - IE: it was moving under it's own power well enough to get into an accident. Further - they are tested and inspected - the oil is drained and checked for metal, bore scopes are used to inspect cylinders, compression tests are done and number recorded, etc.

I just bought an EJ22 engine from a local import recycler. 175 psi on every cylinder, 160k on the clock. Engine was $450 with a $100 core. For another $50 we upgraded that warantee to 6 months. That's $500 for the engine after the core return.

You can't touch this for what it would cost to rebuild an EJ22 and quite frankly that engine has a good chance of seeing 300k if it's properly cared for.

That's why we do it.

GD

What makes a $300 junkyard 2.2 engine anything more than a core to do a complete overhaul on? ?
yeah that's just all wrong. these motors run for a very long time. they end up in Junkyards for all sorts of reasons, but not usually the engine. wrecks and rust are the most common. i wouldn't install an engine if it wasn't good for another 100k, that's just a waste of my time. i installed an EJ18 into mine, $150, 3 month warranty, 100k. I got 40k on it right now and expect another 100k easily.

the EJ18's and EJ22's are excellent motors, some of the best subaru ever made for reliability. if you keep them from overheating or running out of oil they essentially outlast most other things on the vehicle.

see rebuilders selling the 2.2 as a premium engine, .
rebuilds as a rule are really expensive and time consuming (making it even more expensive to pay someone to do it). the parts and machine costs to do it right add up very quickly. that's nice and all and maybe is a good fit for some people but way overkill on a subaru considering the myriad of options for cheap reliable solutions.

ya, I still owe you on that... Remember that weird deal? When the Legacy sells I'll have the money. I promise.

lol it's all good. Really. I'm just glad you got that car and now it's up and running!!! I know you're good for it, And actually it's Kati you will be giving it to.

But the point is, if you do the work yourself, this swap can be done VERY cheap.

The most expensive part (besides the engine) you'll need is the timing belt.

I probably spent a good $50 in just random fasteners, gaskets, etc

Took me a while to do my first swap just because I kept going two steps forward, one step back with some stuff. Next time it would go a lot quicker..

The most expensive part (besides the engine) you'll need is the timing belt.

I probably spent a good $50 in just random fasteners, gaskets, etc

Took me a while to do my first swap just because I kept going two steps forward, one step back with some stuff. Next time it would go a lot quicker..

Haha, and the fact that you pulled the motor with 2 come a longs in a tiny garage!!! It would probably go quicker with some better tools. But what you did shows you don't need a fancy garage and tool chest to get the job done!!!