Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Radiators: junkyard vs aftermarket

I need a new radiator for a 95 auto 2.2 Impreza. I have heard that you should not buy junkyard radiators. Is there any reason for this? I need something not too expensive but do plan on keeping the car for a while. Has anyone had bad experiences with a junkyard radiator? Are the new ones at auto parts stores junk?

Typically the risk outweighs the cost savings. A new radiator runs about $100 to $150 or so. Used is going to run about $50 plus core..... give or take. The problem is that it's likely a 15 year old radiator and the plastic tanks tend to fail long before the core does - usually splitting and cracking from age, etc. Also you have to "gamble" on some junkyard's speculation that the radiator is in good shape or really roll the dice if it's a u-pull-it style yard where you have to inspect and judge the part yourself. Then you figure entry fee, environmental fee, your time, etc..... it's just not really viable unless you are flat broke and you have to take the risk.

GD

I use used if I have one. But I take them to be flushed and pressure tested and that costs a few bucks.

If I need one I don't have I buy new.

You're looking for 2.2 but if the rad is from a 2.5 usually they are full of crap from HG issues and miralce cures to try and fix HG issues.

Only additional work is removing the fans and stuff. So you may want to do that and make sure it goes well before ordering new, though I've never had a problem with a Suby.

I got a really nice looking used one at a JY in PA. I think it was $40.

The person I got it for hasn't had any issues with it.

It had no corrosion, cracks on the tanks, or anything. Like any JY part (whether you pull it, or a guy takes it off a shelf), it's up to you to inspect and make sure it's a good part.

I need a new radiator for a 95 auto 2.2 Impreza. I have heard that you should not buy junkyard radiators. Is there any reason for this? I need something not too expensive but do plan on keeping the car for a while. Has anyone had bad experiences with a junkyard radiator? Are the new ones at auto parts stores junk?

My OEM one cracked between the plastic tank and the metal. I got a all metal, CFS brand, one from radiator barn. It's only been in 9 months, but it hasn't exploded yet.

if you know what you are looking for and pull it yourself, junkyard is the way to go. Usually the rads are pretty clean, they have to be OLD to be horribly corroded. Check all th plastic sides. You are most likely to find good ones with little chance for a bad apple.

It all depends on what is most convenient to you.

foresters and 2.5 have dual row rads if you want a bigger one

if you know what you are looking for and pull it yourself, junkyard is the way to go. Usually the rads are pretty clean, they have to be OLD to be horribly corroded. Check all th plastic sides. You are most likely to find good ones with little chance for a bad apple.

On the topic of foresters. Pull the oil cooler and pipes while you're at it!

X2

You can often find good radiators in junkyards, but should should know what to look for that may indicate a problem. You take the same gamble as with any other junkyard part.

And they fit? where were you nine months ago when i was looking for one?

In Alaska, where you could be driving at +75 on a hot day or 45 below zero

2 weeks later. You can't take a chance on a used radiator. Your buying somebody else problem. Buy the NEW one...Save the old one, and put back subie when you sell it..

Then sell the almost new radiator on this web site for $50 bucks.

Replace the (2) radiator hoses.

ALL Subaru can do some pretty amazing things,

But they can't take a BAD (hot-hot) overheating.

Buy the new radiator.

Edited by North to Alaska

• 1 year later...

Just an update, the spectra premium brand radiator failed on me just after Easter this year, so it lasted less than a year. I would have had to pay return shipping and find a box so the warranty was pretty useless since I bought it from an online retailer. In the future I would recommend buying one with a lifetime warranty from a local chain If you do get a bad one as I did you are kind of out of luck if it fails unless you go this route, unless you happen to have extra radiators laying around.

My tank cracked on mine and i bought a junkyard one for $25. Its been the best 20 bucks ive spent on the car. And its keeping my car completely oem with no aftermarket replacement parts. The car was holding coolant and had no mixture of fluids. They do tend to fail with age but subarus arent too notorious for it. All junkyard radiators ive seen look pretty good

• 8 years later...