Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Weber benefits EA82

What are the benefits of swapping my hitachi for weber.

Gas mileage?

Performance?

Sound?

gimme some numbers and stuff people.

Numbers...hummm. You get a new carb and install bigger jets with it to compensate for gasoline that isn't blended for carbs these days but F.I. .

Mileage? Don't know about that unless your Hitachi is dead.

Performance? Of course

Sound? If it's set up right, transition from primary to secondary will be seemless. That sounds pretty good.

hth

Doug

Oh, do a compression test. If the numbers aren't strong any carb won't function it's best. Because it all depends on a strong vaccume signal. EFI makes adjustments when this happens. Mass air flow goes down it adjusts. etc.

Edited by Quidam

What are the benefits of swapping my hitachi for weber.

Gas mileage?

Performance?

Sound?

gimme some numbers and stuff people.

Listen not to the Quidam - he knows not of what he speaks.

Mileage can be the same or better.

Performance will be.... different. Better low-end torque due to larger airflow directly off idle. This is due to larger primary and secondary barrels but also due to the progressive linkage. You can't (easily) progressively linke the barrels on the Hitachi because the Hitachi doesn't have a secondary idle circuit and will have an enormous flat-spot if you try to drive the secondary too rapidly with linkage and not vacuum. Ultimately the engine will make about the same peak HP numbers with a Weber that it made with the Hitachi because at those RPM's the engine is not being limited by the carb but rather by the flow of other parts of the engine, atmospheric pressure, and other variables.

The sound will change - primarily due to the smaller air filter of the Weber and the progressive linkage. Again - BIG flow at low speeds.

Easier maintenance, better throttle response and low-end torque, and the same or better fuel economy. For the average Subaru owner with a carbed engine - there is no doubt the Weber is the most popular upgrade and well worth the price.

GD

Easier maintenance, better throttle response and low-end torque, and the same or better fuel economy. For the average Subaru owner with a carbed engine - there is no doubt the Weber is the most popular upgrade and well worth the price.

GD

+1 I love the Weber GD put on NED before I bought him... I can climb hills without dropping a gear.

As for fuel mileage... with some numbers...

I get about 19 in town when mashing the accelerator, 5K rpm shifts etc.

I get 23-25 in town when shifting at 3-3.5K rpms.

I went to the coast and with the math I got about 33-34 mpg there and back... And that was mixed with downshifting and mashing the accelerator to pass people that werent going 65 in a 55 or braking to 30 mph on a 45mph curve)

Id go with the Weber 32/36. I have an electric choke but the manual choke is apparently a better fit (GD can comment on that one)

+1 I love the Weber GD put on NED before I bought him... I can climb hills without dropping a gear.

As for fuel mileage... with some numbers...

I get about 19 in town when mashing the accelerator, 5K rpm shifts etc.

I get 23-25 in town when shifting at 3-3.5K rpms.

I went to the coast and with the math I got about 33-34 mpg there and back... And that was mixed with downshifting and mashing the accelerator to pass people that werent going 65 in a 55 or braking to 30 mph on a 45mph curve)

Id go with the Weber 32/36. I have an electric choke but the manual choke is apparently a better fit (GD can comment on that one)

So correct me if i am wrong but i could pick up a weber 32/36 and just buy a subaru adaptor kit?

All the Benefits are explained by GD very well.

You can Use the Redline-Weber K731 Kit that comes factory Jetted for the EA82 Plus the EA82-to-Weber Adaptor included, as I Did.

I Obtained the K731 Kit at www.webercarburetors.com

Then I Obtained a TransDapt 2107 Adaptor (To use the Weber on a Datsun that originally came with similar -same size- Hitachi carb) and I Modified my Subie's intake, here you can see that:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=74206

From Post Nº 2.

Kind Regards.

With a Weber you won't have to worry about vacuum leaks because all those pesky emission hoses go away. I always had a flat spot when I accelerated from a low gear, with the Hitachi. It would act for a second or so like it wasn't getting any gas. It was super-annoying. All over with now.

In my opinion, that is the best benefit of all.

dude...ned sounds bad-rump roast lol I gotta get a glasspack. Anybody know of a GL with flowmasters welded in? I wonder how that sounds...

here is what my ea82 88 sedan sounded like with a cherry bomb right after the flange at the y pipe, and straight pipe curved out to the side ahead of the rear wheel.

inside the car:

outside the car:

(mild language caution)

here is what my ea82 88 sedan sounded like with a cherry bomb right after the flange at the y pipe, and straight pipe curved out to the side ahead of the rear wheel.

inside the car:

outside the car:

(mild language caution)

about how much dows one of those replicas cost? could i just hack off before my muffler and pop something on?

inside the car:

outside the car:

(mild language caution)

wow where is that trail, the outside the car is a awesome trail...